Carnival Row

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Just watched the first episode. I wouldn't mind a floating fae romp or two.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

are.. you just really bad at baseball?

.500 is 50%.

No, but the Red Sox were this season

How much cringe SJW stuff is there, I can handle a tiny bit if the show is good enough

"cringe SJW" content always seems to depend on the perception of the viewer. Fae are an underclass and basically the stand-in migrants/refugees because their country got fucked up by the equivalent of 19th century European empire building. Because this is essentially Victorian era, they're more or less the Irish/Italians (think Gangs of New York meets Dungeons&Dragons). But if your lens is not historical, then you're going to pick contemporary migrant groups. Same with the politics. Historically, it's what happened to the Irish/Italians, but if your lens isn't historical, you'll see modern groups. Ditto with the stand-in for the 19th/early 20th century Anarchist movements.

There is one scene in the show where some rich guy goes all "SJW" and talking about an inclusive society and thinking the Fae's views will align with wanting that in the Burge, and the Fae shoots him down by saying "in my homeland, no one gave a fuck about creating an inclusive society", basically implying he doesn't give a shit about what the other rich guy thinks he wants

Other than that, though, it's the typical Victorian era / fantasy trope discrimination against the underclass and gaslight mystery in pseudo-London. Just like in fantasy novels, half-breeds are basically the lowest of the low. Like how half-elves were too human for the elves, and too elvish for the humans, so they were rejected by both.

Khane

On episode 3 now and I like the setting. Production value is way up there too. Interesting story and good acting so far. The only thing I can't figure at the moment is how the fuck a race of people that can fly, and have mountain fortresses could be conquered by men.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
They kind of address this by mentioning that the Fae had millennia of civilization before the humans but never were interested in making machines / modern weapons of war. So they can fly but the humans showed up with machine guns. I suspect this will become a major plot point as the 'civilized' fae will have access to modern weapons plus being able to fly / be strong as a horse etc.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

The only thing I can't figure at the moment is how the fuck a race of people that can fly, and have mountain fortresses could be conquered by men.

No firearms, explosives, or industry from the looks of it.

edit: but ya, give Fae modern weapons and they own

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I don't find that to be much of an issue. In the first few episodes they explain that Fae had many areas of searcher and all but they never really had an industrial revolution. They had magic and all kinds of shit that mankind didn't have. Fuck even their library, collective of their racial knowledge, was only accessible by Pix who could fly and also had to know where it was.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Pretty good so far. Great story and setting thus far. The chick Cara Delewhatever has seriously stepped her acting game up. She isn't cringe worthy any longer.

• 1Solidarity

velk

Trakanon Raider
On episode 3 now and I like the setting. Production value is way up there too. Interesting story and good acting so far. The only thing I can't figure at the moment is how the fuck a race of people that can fly, and have mountain fortresses could be conquered by men.

You ask this after an episode where dozens of flying fae get machine-gunned by zeppelins ? ;p

It's fair that they'd never catch them all, but then again, that's why they are still fighting 7 years later.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i just watched the first episode... someone please tell me they don't puss out with the cthulu stuff?

Khane

You ask this after an episode where dozens of flying fae get machine-gunned by zeppelins ? ;p

It's fair that they'd never catch them all, but then again, that's why they are still fighting 7 years later.

I said it about 10 minutes into episode 3. Before the explanation they had no technology and before the pact showed up in their goblin death machines.

It still doesn't explain why the fae run and hide and the armies of the burge don't arm the fae so they can fight. They had those stupid molotov cocktails at the end which I would guess could ravage an enemy camp when you can fly if you just did something smart like... use the cover of night so they can't see you while you carpet bomb them.

Anyway, it's whatever.

Cybsled

It's possible the Burge didn't want to arm them (after all, the Burge wanted to more or less control that region for resources/etc as well).

Those molotovs would have probably been enough to take out the zepplins if they could have flown above them and tossed them on the blimp part. Even if they weren't hydrogen, if the blimp skin was flammable, it would cause it to fall out of the air.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Episode 3. Ummmm Yeah. They need to give the fairies some damn guns. War over.

As SOON as they see the blimps coming, the fairies should have been getting above the blimps. Or you know? Out of LOS from below with those stupid molotov cocktails. ANYTHING but right at the gatling guns with a molotov. THAT'S gonna work alrighty!

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
How much cringe SJW stuff is there, I can handle a tiny bit if the show is good enough

Thats the only thing keeping me from this as well. I dont want any fucking politics in my TV shows unless its MAGA Revolution geared. I thought it looked great, until the "Oh the poor fairies, they are trapped here and how will we help them with our society?!?!" and I nope'd the fuck out instantly.

For the airships and fairys flying into gatling guns, I dunno why TV shows / movies cant spend the 5 minutes it would take to NOT have glaring holes like that. Its pervasive, and once I start rolling my eyes at stupid shit I effectively check out of giving a fuck about any show.

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I enjoyed it quite a bit and looking forward to season 2. Has some good components to continue the story. True love w/ a half breed, incestual political intrigue, beauty and the beast. War all over.

Khane

Thats the only thing keeping me from this as well. I dont want any fucking politics in my TV shows unless its MAGA Revolution geared. I thought it looked great, until the "Oh the poor fairies, they are trapped here and how will we help them with our society?!?!" and I nope'd the fuck out instantly.

What you call "SJW" is a tale as old as time. This isn't some new formula for storytelling.

Class systems are a fact of life. And this show is definitely drawing on Victorian era British class structures. If you wanna treat it as some high fantasy allegory for Trump's America then by all means, don't watch it.

• 2Like
  • 1Cringe
Reactions: 2 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I'm pretty sensitive to SJW bullshit and havent felt like this was SJW, at least so far (ep 2 or 3). Khane is right: depicting the plight of underclass migrants isnt somehow inherently SJW.

Plus, floating fairy sex.

We were just trying to figure out why most fairy whores dye their hair blue, while few if any non whore fairies do.

• 1Like

Khane

The main fae actress looks great naked. So the show definitely has that going for it. Possibly sand snake levels of fantastic tits.

Khane

I'm only 4 Eps in but the acting has been top notch as well. Orlando Bloom is very good in this so far

Cybsled

We were just trying to figure out why most fairy whores dye their hair blue, while few if any non whore fairies do.

I figured it was some callback to something historical. While I couldn't find anything about the Victorian era, apparently in Ancient Rome for a time prostitutes were supposed to have yellow hair as an ordinance. Could perhaps have been inspired by that?

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
What you call "SJW" is a tale as old as time. This isn't some new formula for storytelling.

Class systems are a fact of life. And this show is definitely drawing on Victorian era British class structures. If you wanna treat it as some high fantasy allegory for Trump's America then by all means, don't watch it.

No shit clownshoes.

My tolerance for it is [----x--------] and my saturation for it currently at [-----------x-]