Castlevania

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Caught up S3. Watching S4. Why can they not make a game that’s as good as this?!?? Maybe a Soulsborbe-lite? I dunno but I’m glad this hasn’t fallen into the trope of making the white male a bumbling, stupid dope. That scene with the dual whips on the “legion” demon. I was ready to break out my SNES for some fun. Thirty fucking years later and I still get erect at this music. Just set the tone.

Lord of Shadows Series, IS FUCKING AMAZING. Not part of the main series lore, but works. just sucks you have to play all the DLC, and across platforms to make sense of the story

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

Watched seasons 1 and 2 more or less straight through with a friend cause it was new to both of us. It was either this or Dragonball Super. In any case, it's definitely some quality animation and so forth, but I wasn't super into it as a Castlevania series veteran.

Tone was all over the place, too much current year "church is evil" and "men don't understand the plight of women" stuff. Godbrand seemed to exist for no other purpose than to be dominated by that one female general who was way smarter and better at everything than all the men, and complained about this in every scene she was in.

Anyway I hope S3 and S4 have better character interactions. Also I hope they're moving forward in the timeline and covering CV1(4), 2, Rondo, and SOTN with the rest of this show. That would be pretty incredible.
yeah, on some level thats to be expected from that author..

in general though. treating Carmilla as a major threat is to be expected. honestly, the show does a great job making her a proper character and threat for the most part. while in the games, its more shes just there.. over and over and over again. She's been in more main line Castlevania games then Alucard. They obviously do the same thing with Death.

Siliconemelons

Watched seasons 1 and 2 more or less straight through with a friend cause it was new to both of us. It was either this or Dragonball Super. In any case, it's definitely some quality animation and so forth, but I wasn't super into it as a Castlevania series veteran.

Tone was all over the place, too much current year "church is evil" and "men don't understand the plight of women" stuff. Godbrand seemed to exist for no other purpose than to be dominated by that one female general who was way smarter and better at everything than all the men, and complained about this in every scene she was in.

Anyway I hope S3 and S4 have better character interactions. Also I hope they're moving forward in the timeline and covering CV1(4), 2, Rondo, and SOTN with the rest of this show. That would be pretty incredible.

S1 they set up to have /true good/ Church people, such as the monk etc. making holy water and what not helping the village - also in that ending segment I swear they were hinting at Grant showing up (completing CV3's cast) but they didn't.

Then it was a hard shift to just, CHURCH = BAD and they used an undead bad priest, that died because he was NOT truely good, but then could just turn the entire darn river into holy water?

I always get S1 and 2 mixed together and forget its 4 seasons not 3.

They are going into Rondo and most likely SOTN - CV1 and 2 would have past chronologically between CV3 (and CoD) -S1,2,3,4 of the Anime, although it does not contain the events of CoD, it contains the characters and some thematic elements- it kinda is just doing CoD w/o rezzing Drac as the baddie.

S5 teaser shows Richter so its Rondo most likely- skipping over CV1 and CV2 and HoD- and they most likely will blend it together w/ SOTN as they did with CoD and CV3.

If you follow the story of SOTN, Drac really should be "done" with his battle against humanity after Alucard finally gets it through his thick skull that Lisa (Drac's wife) would not want him to do such things - but that would have to ret-con in the anime that Alucard was witness to her death as he was in SOTN lore.

Further backing that line of thought up- was that there is no cannon CV game chronologically after SOTN until AoS/DoS and its preceding 1999 "events" and no "natural" Dracula resurrection (the every 100 years is considered a natural rez by his own power/will and his continued fight against humanity) while there are in-between ones where he is resurrected by a minion/follower/cousin etc. CV1 was a natural rez for example, CV2 "You" rez him etc.

So the Dracula being done w/ stamping out humans out of spite should end in SOTN, but in the Anime, they imply - so I wonder what is going to trigger him doing off again and starting the events of Rondo... if I remember, Rondo he is resurrected (twice?) by Shaft, not a 100 year cycle rez.

Lord of Shadows Series, IS FUCKING AMAZING. Not part of the main series lore, but works. just sucks you have to play all the DLC, and across platforms to make sense of the story

Lords of Shadows 1, is like 3 games, and masterfully put together, until you step into the DLC. The way they tell the story and the world around you fits everything - Patrick Stewart for the VO is amazing, but after the witches house events, the game turns, and it makes sense, the events that have been "being told" have caught up to the narrator. After that the game thematically turns with the story and you are pushed through to the climax ending, not as masterfully done as the first part of the game, but still well enough for keeping it together with such a shift.

Then you are teased with an epilogue and a mess of a DLC that should have been A) an entire game segment of a sequel like the 1st half of the first game - or B) told in a narrative completely. Because the DLC is meant to explain a yuge plot point and done quickly and ham handled it really botched their reputation they gained from the main part of the game, as remeber this was essentially a new dev studio.

Mirror of Fate was a great "classic CV game" in the LOS "timeline" or universe that set up a franchise sequel machine like the OG CVs...

then they came out with 2... I never played it, read a few reviews and story bits and called it.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
2 was notwhere near as good as 1, but was a good finale. By that time Konami was done with anything but mobile games so they cut alot of resources, and it launched a week before the Xbox One and PS4 so it was missed by anyone who had been upgrading consoles since it was only released on the last gen.

The Modern day cut scene at the end of 1 had me so hyped, then they filled the gaps with DLC and Mirror of Fate and explain how that happen. 2 wraps the modern day storyline in a good way but the game felt out of place since half of it happens in normal Castle, but in Gabriels mind, and the other half in a Future London that just doesnt feel right.

I really dug the whole Light vs Chaos powers though. Probably the best combat system in a game like that which ive played outside of the OG God of War series.

But damn, i was such a sucker for the tale of Gabriel not going after Dracula, but becoming him and the real bad guy being Satan. Fresh take on the series. Alucard looked retarded the whole time though.

Cybsled

Then it was a hard shift to just, CHURCH = BAD and they used an undead bad priest, that died because he was NOT truely good, but then could just turn the entire darn river into holy water

Regardless as to your opinions on churches today, medieval church structures had a lot of corruption. They were a major political power and power corrupts.

Plus evil church is a common theme in Japanese games regardless

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
True, in the JRPGs you spend a lot of time KILLING GOD. I've probably done it a dozen times by now.

Just started Season 3. It's a good watch, very chill and a bit cerebral.

Kinda regrettable that Grant Dynasty isn't in this, or CV1 and 2. Seems like it would have been easy enough to slide those things in with Seasons 3 and 4 since the CV3 story is over.

Caliane

hplcptr2uleb1.jpg

ooph this is rough, and worrisome.

This is Annette.
Richters gf. bad end is possessed by and becomes Reincarnated Carmilla.
now, Black Caribean freedom fighter. no longer a damsel, now a strong female character, with male purse puppy.

Maria. little girl. 12. powerful spell caster.
now, adult freedom fighter. no longer a sidekick op child, now a strong female character.

orlox...

Elizibeth bathory. oc donut steal... made even dumber because CARMILLA is Elizabeth Bathory. (also a strong female character.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yup I knew something felt off about the trailer. You could feel it. Also apparently these aren't the same writers as the first castlevania series?

sliverstorm

Trakanon Raider
Yup I knew something felt off about the trailer. You could feel it. Also apparently these aren't the same writers as the first castlevania series?
Warren Ellis, who was the mastermind writer behind the original series and the reason the plot, dialogue, and characters felt so good, got Me Too'ed and removed from the series, if I remember correctly.

I think the animation will still be beautiful, but not expecting the writing to stand up.

That said, the original played with character archetypes and pretty much every change worked startlingly well, so I wouldn't judge purely based on similarity to the game.

Cybsled

Maria being aged up for the show you could see 10000 miles away, that is honestly the least surprising and most expected change

There was a 0% chance they were going to have a kid as a main character in this, especially considering the fact she shacked up with Alucard eventually in a later game and I suspect they will condense the timelines of Rondo of Blood/SoTN, so having her be an adult from the getgo simplifies the ability to adapt the stories if they plan to keep some of those main character beats intact

Fadaar

That guy
Hellsing Ultimate Abridged has forever ruined Alucard in any other format for me

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

sliverstorm

Trakanon Raider
I still doubt the writing holds up to the first series, but that's a fucking good trailer.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Siliconemelons

I mean, sure thing age her up, as SOTN she was older and she didn't really exist much in the USA drac X and anime culture the kid thing was is a trope.

And we didn't think the French maid outfit was going to make it either, but what the heck with most of those changes and additions?

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Other than SotN, I don't think I've played/watched/read any Castlevania media apart from this show. Trailer looks pretty cool, hoping they at least cover a bit of Sypha/Belmont's life after Death as they had good chemistry.

Is he their son, or is this set to take place down the line generations later?

Caliane

Other than SotN, I don't think I've played/watched/read any Castlevania media apart from this show. Trailer looks pretty cool, hoping they at least cover a bit of Sypha/Belmont's life after Death as they had good chemistry.

Is he their son, or is this set to take place down the line generations later?
300 year timeskip.

Trevor- 1476
Christopher 1576
Simon -1691.
Richter- 1792.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
300 year timeskip.

Trevor- 1476
Christopher 1576
Simon -1691.
Richter- 1792.
Sad day, those two make a pretty awesome combo. Here's hoping Richter's got some strange that shoots flaming electric ice death balls too

• 1Like