Censorship and Art

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

The Edge

Lord Nagafen Raider
Why do we censor? Is a child that is protected from "R-rated" material better off than one that was exposed to violence/nudity/profanity? Are there actual studies showing evidence that teaching children that the world is all sunshine and rainbows is somehow beneficial?

As a former teacher, I'm genuinely curious. Too often you hear about culture shock, and the "real world" that students experience once they get away from from their parents. A high percentage of students drop out after their first semester of college because of the dramatic switch. Are people that grow up in unfiltered home environments better adjusted to the world around them?

Is censorship just a conservative creation to hold people back or is there real evidence that "protecting" people by filtering information they receive beneficial?

Titan_Atlas

Deus Vult
<Banned>
Protecting from adversity, or hover parenting is bad. Protecting from content, is good. So take the typical Liberal belief system, turn it on its head and you have your answer.

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
Hearing information that contradicts with your preconceived notions reduces the creation of dopamine. Censoring said information maximizes dopamine production. So censorship is just a real world manifestation of a biological desire.

People don't like to hear that their child died. They don't like to hear that they got fired. They don't like to hear that they were wrong.

Titan_Atlas

Deus Vult
<Banned>
To add when I say protecting from content, I mean we can reasonably determine what content can be intellectually digested at different maturity levels. I don't mean blind religious Conservative censorship.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

The Edge

Lord Nagafen Raider
To add when I say protecting from content, I mean we can reasonably determine what content can be intellectually digested at different maturity levels. I don't mean blind religious Conservative censorship.

Intellectually digested... how? What determines this?

Le 5 year old me was watching Rambo blow shit up, Aliens burst out of chests, and people run around naked in the Blue Lagoon. I was able to process all of that just fine. The Alien stuff was scary, but that was about it.

Titan_Atlas

Deus Vult
<Banned>
Intellectually digested... how? What determines this?

Le 5 year old me was watching Rambo blow shit up, Aliens burst out of chests, and people run around naked in the Blue Lagoon. I was able to process all of that just fine. The Alien stuff was scary, but that was about it.

And you ended up working as a teacher. So, my point about processing information is made.

The Edge

Lord Nagafen Raider
Being an orchestra conductor at a university for one semester is clearly the same thing.

Titan_Atlas

Deus Vult
<Banned>
Being an orchestra conductor at a university for one semester is clearly the same thing.

You claimed to be a teacher. Now you are downplaying your own credentials. If your parents let you watch Rambo and Aliens as a 5 year old, they were shitty parents. A 5 year old is still stupid enough to believe in Santa Clause, they have no critical processing ability. That is why you "Censor" the content they consume. This isn't even an argument.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
"As a former teacher"

"I wasn't really a teacher"

Debating someone like this is a complete waste of time

• 1Solidarity

Titan_Atlas

Deus Vult
<Banned>
The Edge I'll help you on your path to enlightenment. The first axiom is: Art is not Subjective, beauty and ability are completely Objective. Start there and think of it like a system that creates logical definitions.

• 1Like

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Titan_Atlas Titan_Atlas
For you to declare such a statement as an axiom, speaks more of you than it does of me.

Or maybe you don't know what an axiom is.

• 1Salty
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
It is self evident that beauty been objective is NOT an axiom.

The exact same person will appear more or less beautiful to you depending on a plethora of factors.

There is no objective way of measuring beauty, either in objects or in humans.

Pollocks painting are awful for me, same as some of Picasso work and most of modern art, because it looks like a child drew it, or it is random.

This is the type of art that I personally find beautiful. It is polished, it tells a story, and has a lot of complex elements on it.

800px-Phidippides.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Salty

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I feel like you could derail any thread ever made by saying something as, "Beauty being objective is self evident."

Titan_Atlas

Deus Vult
<Banned>
I feel like you could derail any thread ever made by saying something as, "Beauty being objective is self evident."

To kill the cancer you must attack it at the source. Post Modernism has been most successful in the arts. That is why so much of those communities are so virulently Subjective. That is what makes the first axiom what it is. If you can accept without question that Art and Beauty are Objective you can build a philosophy on the logic that follows. Which incidentally is what we are doing currently, we are just attacking disciplines piecemeal.