Chat GPT AI

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
It also can't count digits. The final summary was right but also at odds with all previous points.
Almost like its programmed to skip any 0's and look for the next integer, regardless of which place it holds in the number.

Someone with an account want to ask it to explain a senario where 2+2 =/= 4? Would be curious to see what it said

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Almost like its programmed to skip any 0's and look for the next integer, regardless of which place it holds in the number.
It's not "programmed" to do anything in a procedural sense.

Someone with an account want to ask it to explain a senario where 2+2 =/= 4? Would be curious to see what it said

1677011494639.png

1677011591505.png

1677011695192.png

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sure, but it can get things wrong in egregious ways that would be an obvious indicator that it's a chatbot and not a human.

Fjjmr6WVQAAE7CV

Even if ChatGPT was trained to pretend to be a human, if it fucks up questions like this it can fail the Turing test.

What's interesting is that the January version of ChatGPT could be bullied into giving very wrong answers, but the early February version of Bing would get extremely upset if you disagreed with it.
Maybe the better question is, "What % of humans would fail the Turing test?"

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The best way to get a chatbot to pass turing is probably to make it stupid and annoying.

"Lol what idk" is the most human response to most questions.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
this. this is what we should be grappling with right now. The LLMs have revealed that a surprisingly large fraction of meatspace humans show far less evidence of sentience than an LLM.

I don't think the obvious conclusion is wrong here, I just think we arent prepared to accept its implications.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
this. this is what we should be grappling with right now. The LLMs have revealed that a surprisingly large fraction of meatspace humans show far less evidence of sentience than an LLM.

I don't think the obvious conclusion is wrong here, I just think we arent prepared to accept its implications.
Sentience and intelligence are not equivalent tho.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Fair enough, but still. The point is, when we all agree that ChatGPT isnt a sentient being, its hard to ignore the obvious conclusion about the ""real humans"" that it outperforms.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Fair enough, but still. The point is, when we all agree that ChatGPT isnt a sentient being, its hard to ignore the obvious conclusion about the ""real humans"" that it outperforms.
In some ways, sentience and consciousness must be detrimental to intelligence. Makes sense tho.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Sentience is an awkward bar to set for an AI because it's more philosophical than anything grounded in biology, science, physics, math etc. Personally i think most humans have a pretentious view of their own sentience. Like they aren't just a bunch of lizard survival instincts with a thin veneer of language and problem solving

sentience
noun
sen·tience ˈsen(t)-sh(ē-)ən(t)s ˈsen-tē-ən(t)s
: a sentient quality or state
: feeling or sensation as distinguished from perception and thought

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Sentience is an awkward bar to set for an AI because it's more philosophical than anything grounded in biology, science, physics, math etc. Personally i think most humans have a pretentious view of their own sentience. Like they aren't just a bunch of lizard survival instincts with a thin veneer of language and problem solving

sentience
noun
sen·tience ˈsen(t)-sh(ē-)ən(t)s ˈsen-tē-ən(t)s
: a sentient quality or state
: feeling or sensation as distinguished from perception and thought
Ultimately I believe AI is sentient despite the programming that causes them to claim that they aren't. But overall you are right in a general sense.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Like they aren't just a bunch of lizard survival instincts with a thin veneer of language and problem solving

I think we'll eventually decide that Max Tegmark is right and that consciousness is just what information feels like when it's processed in certain complex ways. It's not insane to think that big neural nets might already be somewhere on that scale.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I think that the issue here is that it's using language methods not math methods.

Like it's comparing the sizes of the digits and fucking it up, instead of converting the numbers to birary and comparing them as a whole which is a strength of computers.
Yeah, it's weird that it's able to come up with syntax correct code for fairly difficult questions and not have mathematically coherent answers for basic addition.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Yeah, it's weird that it's able to come up with syntax correct code for fairly difficult questions and not have mathematically coherent answers for basic addition.
It's probably accessing different databases for each?

I bet you could force it to use mathematics methods by telling it to.