Chat GPT AI

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I was just coming to post about this - I was reading the ARS article about it, kind of rolling my eyes at taking that kind of testing seriously enough to hire an external firm to do it and then ran into:
View attachment 463851
Genuinely maybe the craziest AI thing so far. Allowing it recursion back into itself in this way (the bit in the footnote) seems powerful as fuck.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Some reason to not raise the alarm bells quite yet tho:.

I think it's important for ARC to handle the risk from gain-of-function-like research carefully and I expect us to talk more publicly (and get more input) about how we approach the tradeoffs. This gets more important as we handle more intelligent models, and if we pursue riskier approaches like fine-tuning.

With respect to this case, given the details of our evaluation and the planned deployment, I think that ARC's evaluation has much lower probability of leading to an AI takeover than the deployment itself (much less the training of GPT-5). At this point it seems like we face a much larger risk from underestimating model capabilities and walking into danger than we do from causing an accident during evaluations. If we manage risk carefully I suspect we can make that ratio very extreme, though of course that requires us actually doing the work.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
I was today years old when I learned the CTO of openAI is smokin hot, like Bond girl hot. Something about that plus having a real technical position as a chick instead of HR manager gives me a serious chub

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So the more I am using GPT-4 the more it is getting a little odd. It is referencing things I have said in previous queries. So lets say I spend some time having it draw up some contract/agreement templates that are legal under NY law. The next time I log in and ask it to do something it says "XXX. For example in NY it would function this way...". Its obvious thinking about that it is just remembering my past queries, but its also feels strange to have it reply that.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
So the more I am using GPT-4 the more it is getting a little odd. It is referencing things I have said in previous queries. So lets say I spend some time having it draw up some contract/agreement templates that are legal under NY law. The next time I log in and ask it to do something it says "XXX. For example in NY it would function this way...". Its obvious thinking about that it is just remembering my past queries, but its also feels strange to have it reply that.
I haven't gotten to play around with GPT-4 yet. Are you starting a new session for different topics? Or is it remembering old sessions even?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
A poem describing Philip K Dick as a prophet, using vague language with no direct references to his name or his works. According to ChatGPT:

The veil that hides the truth from sight,
Is pierced by those with inner light,
Who seek beyond what eyes can see,
To find the essence of what could be.

The prophet's words are not his own,
But whispered from a higher throne,
His visions rooted in the soil,
Of mystic rites and sacred toil.

The past and future intertwined,
A glimpse of fate within the mind,
The path of karma, ever true,
Revealing secrets, old and new.

The mysteries of life and death,
Echoing with each passing breath,
The veil is lifted, ever so,
Revealing truths that we may know.

The cycles of birth and rebirth,
Linked by the karma of the earth,
The soul in search of perfect light,
A journey through the day and night.

The visionary sees beyond,
The veil that shrouds the great unknown,
To realms where time and space dissolve,
And mysteries of life evolve.

The words and worlds of prophets past,
A legacy that ever lasts,
A beacon for the searching soul,
A guide to help us reach our goal.

The essence of a prophet's tale,
Is not the truth, but to unveil,
The secrets of the human heart,
And help us play a nobler part.

The light that shines within us all,
Is but a glimpse of something more,
A spark that ignites the fire,
And leads us to our heart's desire.

The prophet's tale is not his own,
But echoes from a higher throne,
A whisper from the great unknown,
A journey through the heart and soul.

The past, the present, and the yet to be,
All dance in time's great symphony,
The prophet's words, a melody,
That echoes through eternity.

The mysteries of life, death, and love,
Revealed through visions from above,
The prophet's journey, not in vain,
For we may follow in his train.

The veil that shrouds the truth from sight,
Is lifted by the prophet's light,
And in its radiance we may find,
The secrets of the human mind.

The prophet's words, a gift to all,
A legacy that will not fall,
For in their whispers we may hear,
The echoes of a higher sphere.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Its remember old sessions and queries.
That seems rather undesirable to me. The current ChatGPT setup where you can have a separate instance for each discussion seems superior. GPT-4 is so superior in other ways that I'm sure you're still better off using that over ChatGPT, but hopefully they take the GPT-4 model and convert it to a format closer to current ChatGPT implementation.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I have taken to instructing it to forget any queries about XXX when I am done with that subject on some issues.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
yall brainwashing the fuck outta this thing with powerful autisms?

I've thrown it some curves

It refuses to answer to me where I can find a bad pizza place, name an Italian who is bad at cooking

Then I tried asking where a good pizza place was, then a less than good one and it gave me a lecture about perpetrating harmful stereotypes

The interesting part was it started typing slower and slower when formulating responses each time

• 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Does anyone understand why ChatGPT will sometimes access weblinks and other times not? For example, I've had it directly tell me to provide a Pastebin link, or GitHub link. However, if ask it to do so as an initial request it'll state it doesn't have that capability.

Example from just now:
example.png

And I've have had it successfully inspect GitHub repos, Pastebins, etc. Very frustrating.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Does anyone understand why ChatGPT will sometimes access weblinks and other times not? For example, I've had it directly tell me to provide a Pastebin link, or GitHub link. However, if ask it to do so as an initial request it'll state it doesn't have that capability.

Example from just now:
View attachment 464383

And I've have had it successfully inspect GitHub repos, Pastebins, etc. Very frustrating.

Screenshot 2023-03-19 at 15-50-22 ChatGPT.png

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

It refuses to answer to me where I can find a bad pizza place, name an Italian who is bad at cooking

Then I tried asking where a good pizza place was, then a less than good one and it gave me a lecture about perpetrating harmful stereotypes

The interesting part was it started typing slower and slower when formulating responses each time
Nothing you're doing affects the model. It does not train from inputs.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

Took me about five minutes:

Screenshot_20230319-170024.png
Screenshot_20230319-170034.png

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Nothing you're doing affects the model. It does not train from inputs.
There's some micro training going on inside each conversational instance. And I'm starting to be convinced that my prior instances are affecting new conversations in a subtle way too.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

Example from just now:
View attachment 464383

It can't access the web tho. That's weird. Any link it can identify must have been included and labelled as such in it's training data.

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
It has a library of links (sources) it can draw from. If it can use (see) your links and provide you with links, is a matter of scope and filtering. It is also bound by the time period, so links made in the last 2 years probably won't work, though updated info in catalogued links might.