Cheap Meals: Eating on a budget.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Corn is way easier to make, though. Flour is a little bit of a bitch. Just enough to make it inconvenient when I just want to whip up something quick. It's easy to over knead the wheat flour.
same bitch i linked b4 for refried beans

corn tortillas, i might do... more gadgets tortilla press...

but not b/c it's cheap but b/c i just buy the corn tortillas in a package and they always have this "factory" smell

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
fucking hell
18c2a5f2ee1b57e6a2f97055eda0d0a2.png

• 6Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 6 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Bandwagon Bandwagon You were still cooking the corn tortillas that you used to buy at the store, right?

Once properly cooked, I don't find much difference in taste for any of the corn tortillas I've had in Texas (restaurant or store bought) and they are already super cheap. HEB even makes their own (multiple types), on location in the bigger stores, which cost $0.04 each. They also keep for a long time:
2024-03-28 12.12.21 www.heb.com b9757f71deed.png

Every store I have been in carries one of these brands, when I didn't live close to an HEB:
2024-03-28 12.13.23 www.heb.com 55487d1c1abd.png
2024-03-28 12.14.13 www.heb.com 83909ef7862c.png

It's also not really any cheaper to make them yourself, at least going off HEB corn flour prices. According to the internet, 2 cups of corn flour makes ~15 tortillas. 2 cups = 1 lbs dry, which gives us 66 tortillas per 4.4 bag. So using the cheapest flour, that makes it $0.047 each.

2024-03-28 12.30.21 www.heb.com 33cded6f7607.png

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Bandwagon Bandwagon You were still cooking the corn tortillas that you used to buy at the store, right?

Once properly cooked, I don't find much difference in taste for any of the corn tortillas I've had in Texas (restaurant or store bought) and they are already super cheap. HEB even makes their own (multiple types), on location in the bigger stores, which cost $0.04 each. They also keep for a long time:
View attachment 521850

Every store I have been in carries one of these brands, when I didn't live close to an HEB:
View attachment 521854View attachment 521855

It's also not really any cheaper to make them yourself, at least going off HEB corn flour prices. According to the internet, 2 cups of corn flour makes ~15 tortillas. 2 cups = 1 lbs dry, which gives us 66 tortillas per 4.4 bag. So using the cheapest flour, that makes it $0.047 each.

View attachment 521858
yeah, Dollar Tree sells them too. maybe 25 for a dollar? the number of times i make tacos, maybe once every few months, its worth it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Yep, I still cooked the store bought ones.

My pitch for homemade isn't cost or speed, it's taste. Cost difference is inconsequential as both are dirt cheap. I just think the taste is better....enough to justify the very small amount of additional time over storevought.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yep, I still cooked the store bought ones.

My pitch for homemade isn't cost or speed, it's taste. Cost difference is inconsequential as both are dirt cheap. I just think the taste is better....enough to justify the very small amount of additional time over storevought.

SIR THIS IS THE CHEAP FOOD THREAD NOT THE GOOD FOOD THREAD

• 1Double Worf
  • 1Worf

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>

View attachment 521850

View attachment 521854View attachment 521855

View attachment 521858
Fuck yeah! La Baderita is cheap as hell, but the best damn pre-made tortillas you can get. That's all I ever buy, and I just turn on the gas burner on the stove top, and toss them a few times on the Open flame. They've got quite a bit of lard I think, but they're so tasty, and cheaper than mission or any of the other big brands.

• 2Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I'm a weird fuck that will just snack on tortillas, but has to be specific kinds. Used to be I could get a nice 10 pack of tasty flour tortillas from Wegmans for $1.29. Ol' El Paso flours are the closest thing for me, taste-wise, but goddamn, they're over $3 a fucking 10 pack. Not even cheap eats, anymore, fuck.

• 1Worf
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I'm a weird fuck that will just snack on tortillas, but has to be specific kinds. Used to be I could get a nice 10 pack of tasty flour tortillas from Wegmans for $1.29. Ol' El Paso flours are the closest thing for me, taste-wise, but goddamn, they're over $3 a fucking 10 pack. Not even cheap eats, anymore, fuck.
They're also disgusting. The pre-made tortillas that just taste like a weird piece of unleavened bread and have some kind of weird chew and chemical aftertaste, blehhhh.

I guess I'm lucky that you can get fresh made tortillas from HEB, and they're normally really good especially if they're fresh that day, but I've switched over to the super duper Mexican brand, La Baderita. They're even better than the fresh ones, and half the price.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
They're also disgusting. The pre-made tortillas that just taste like a weird piece of unleavened bread and have some kind of weird chew and chemical aftertaste, blehhhh.

I guess I'm lucky that you can get fresh made tortillas from HEB, and they're normally really good especially if they're fresh that day, but I've switched over to the super duper Mexican brand, La Baderita. They're even better than the fresh ones, and half the price.
There are a couple Mexican market chains here in Southern California that carry a lot of decently priced stuff you can t get at normal markets, or a lot cheaper. A bit out of the way so we tend to go if we’re doing a taco night with extended family or something.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
yeah, Dollar Tree sells them too. maybe 25 for a dollar? the number of times i make tacos, maybe once every few months, its worth it.
dollar tree food beyond packaged/canned shit looks scary. i remember going to them to see what i could find when covid hit (to get iso alcohol), like you can get regular del monte canned stuff and packaged food, but i would be scared as fuck w/ their fridge options.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
dollar tree food beyond packaged/canned shit looks scary. i remember going to them to see what i could find when covid hit (to get iso alcohol), like you can get regular del monte canned stuff and packaged food, but i would be scared as fuck w/ their fridge options.
Oh hell no. Don't touch their brand z foods. Stick to the name brand stuff you know. They got em, just gotta look for it.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
For Easter weekend I decided to make some zeppoles. It's just fried pizza dough with powder sugar on top. Costs a few dollars for the pizza dough.

Attachments

• 20240330_145320.jpg
    20240330_145320.jpg
    687.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
For Easter weekend I decided to make some zeppoles. It's just fried pizza dough with powder sugar on top. Costs a few dollars for the pizza dough.
Guess that's like beignets. Will occasionally make poor Man's beignets with a tube of biscuit dough. They're not bad, we just buy the cheapest tube available, and fun to do maybe on a Sunday with your coffee.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users