Cheese

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Brad2770

When I was younger, my grandfather used to eat a large slice of cheese and drink a shot of whiskey before going to bed. I know we ate different types, but the two I remember the most were blue cheese and Swiss cheese. I remember both having a sharp taste, but the blue cheese was my favorite with the greenish/blue streaks along the surface when cut. I had no idea that it was mold, it was just part of the cheese that made it a special treat.

My son has been showing interest in trying new cheeses and I was wanting to get a nice wheel of both Swiss and Blue. I know there has to be a few of you with regular access to finer cheeses and I was hoping to get some suggestions for something I could purchase. I’m hoping to find 2 lb. or less wedges or wheels and less than $50, but I know nothing about cheese, so I’m willing to adjust for a good product that will trigger some good memories.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

lurker

Vyemm Raider
Our local Costco has a Spanish cheese called Manchego. Give it a try if you have access.

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Manchego is fantastic. Pairs very well with prosciutto.

I'm not the biggest blue cheese fan, but Humboldt Fog is very good

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
Stilton is a great blue cheese, that when paired with a glass of port, is sure to give you a fat boner

• 2Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
While living in Pennsylvania, I used to LOVE the cheese department at Wegmans. It's a super market with the best cheese department I've ever encountered. They had everything, and it was great. Fuck whole foods.

PS - Philly also had this ridiculous cheese shop in the Italian Market. That place had every exotic cheese known to man. It was just a little over an hour away from my house, so I didn't visit much (only once).
Gourmet Cheese | Di Bruno Bros.

EDIT: So looking at their website, that place has a few different monthly "cheese box" type things. Kind of like Loot Crate, but for cheese (and wine, I guess). Maybe you want to try it.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Costco is definitely a good place to start, the ones near me always have at least a few different options for "non-standard" cheeses.

Places like Trader Joe's and Sprouts are pretty decent as well, but nothing beats a real cheese shop.

• 1Like

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Did this thread title remind anyone else of the poll from years back about giving up blow jobs or cheese?

• 2Like

Brad2770

10 years ago I would have given up cheese, but now I am pretty certain I would keep cheese in my life.

• 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Brad, you should hit up an H-E-B Central Market. Their cheese department has a massive selection, and it’s usually staffed with someone knowledgeable about the product that can steer you in the right direction. Plus, their prices are still H-E-B prices, so you won’t break the bank.

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
When I was younger, my grandfather used to eat a large slice of cheese and drink a shot of whiskey before going to bed. I know we ate different types, but the two I remember the most were blue cheese and Swiss cheese. I remember both having a sharp taste, but the blue cheese was my favorite with the greenish/blue streaks along the surface when cut. I had no idea that it was mold, it was just part of the cheese that made it a special treat.

My son has been showing interest in trying new cheeses and I was wanting to get a nice wheel of both Swiss and Blue. I know there has to be a few of you with regular access to finer cheeses and I was hoping to get some suggestions for something I could purchase. I’m hoping to find 2 lb. or less wedges or wheels and less than $50, but I know nothing about cheese, so I’m willing to adjust for a good product that will trigger some good memories.
If you tail a french expat for a few hours he's bound to lead you to a place like this
laiterie-gilbert-franchise-fromagerie-france.jpg

Careful though, most of it is considered hazmat in the US !

When abroad and suffering from withdrawal of cheese, I try to find a Sofitel / Novotel or a Movenpick they often have a buffet with a large selection of cheese, could be a good place to taste a lot of different cheese for a reasonable price.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Brad2770

If you tail a french expat for a few hours he's bound to lead you to a place like this
View attachment 168522

Careful though, most of it is considered hazmat in the US !

When abroad and suffering from withdrawal of cheese, I try to find a Sofitel / Novotel or a Movenpick they often have a buffet with a large selection of cheese, could be a good place to taste a lot of different cheese for a reasonable price.

That’s what I’m looking for. I love cheese and I want to try some of those questionable cheeses. I have done searches for Dallas, but I’m not really finding something. Freaking searches pull up Cheesecake mostly. (That’s not a bad thing).

I may purchase some things from here.

http://www.eiltd.com/

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
That’s what I’m looking for. I love cheese and I want to try some of those questionable cheeses. I have done searches for Dallas, but I’m not really finding something. Freaking searches pull up Cheesecake mostly. (That’s not a bad thing).

I may purchase some things from here.

http://www.eiltd.com/
This one is probably good :
European Imports, Inc. Importer and Distributor of Cheese, Specialty Food, Meat and Pastry.
Sku 018150 COMTE ST ANTOINE AGED 14+, SUPC:1865037

14 months Comté, usually if you get a 10+ months, they start getting tasty.

These two should be about the same (you're supposed to to eat the crust)
European Imports, Inc. Importer and Distributor of Cheese, Specialty Food, Meat and Pastry.
Sku 016323 TOMME DE SAVOIE, SUPC:1870801
Sku 011045TOMME CRAYEUSE, SUPC:6236121

This kind of goat cheese is refreshing (you aren't supposed to eat most cheese right after getting them out of the fridge)
CROTTIN MAITRE SEGUIN (GOAT), SUPC:8873358

(seems you've got to set the site to cheese / french for the links to work)

They seem to have some nice gouda as well, I like the old one, this one might be funny :
Sku 200294GOUDA 4 YEAR 1/4 WHEEL, SUPC:1841305

It has a really different taste when it's old.
(Holland Cheese for this one)

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Brad2770

I ended up buying half a wheel from Whole Foods. Cut off a chunk and ate a little bit last night. Definitely not how I remembered the taste, though I do remember how sharp the taste was. I like it, especially the after taste. I have a few redneck recipes lined up: Blue Cheese burgers and a blue cheese encrusted steak. I’ll probably end up making a couple of different dips too and then I’ll move onto one of the cheeses posted above. I do love me some Gouda. I love the look of this cheese. Very much reminds me of my childhood.

2B8CE6D8-2F60-4E11-9AB1-D073E7ABE9AD.jpeg

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I ended up buying half a wheel from Whole Foods. Cut off a chunk and ate a little bit last night. Definitely not how I remembered the taste, though I do remember how sharp the taste was. I like it, especially the after taste. I have a few redneck recipes lined up: Blue Cheese burgers and a blue cheese encrusted steak. I’ll probably end up making a couple of different dips too and then I’ll move onto one of the cheeses posted above. I do love me some Gouda. I love the look of this cheese. Very much reminds me of my childhood.

View attachment 172492

So this may be hard depending on where you're at, but if you want to get into cheese, and get your kids into cheese, I highly suggest you find a hipster market and sells it by the ounce so you can try small wedges of a number of different kinds. I'd also recommend getting up to snuff on how to make a charcuterie board. Cheese is insanely good with accompaniments. For example, take another bite of that blue cheese but put a couple drops of honey on it, I promise it will blow your mind.

Just google "how to make a charcuterie board (or plate) and go to town. Meats and cheese are obvious but cheese with fruit and sauces/jams (and wines but that won't work with your kid obviously) will really start blowing your mind.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Superhiro

Silver Knight of the Realm

There are a lot of different types of "blue" cheese. The one that popped in my mind when you said you thought it was greenish made me think Roquefort. Try that one out!

• 1Like

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I didn't grow up on the "weird" cheeses so sometimes I have a hard time with taste and texture. Most don't seem 'bad' to me, but I don't often see the point in pursuing the stranger cheeses over stuff like cheddar/swiss/blue cheese/etc. The soft cheeses (like Camembert?) are ok I guess, but I always feel like I should have just chosen something firmer.

I have to drive halfway across Missouri for a service call tomorrow, and there's a cheese place on the way that I stopped at last time. It has the typical "Ozark-esque" giftstore vibe to it, but it does have a lot of cheese. But it also doesn't come across like a kind of Euro cheese place, either

Osceola Cheese - Osceola, MO

They have a lot of sausage, and even pickled eggs. I haven't had pickled eggs in 15 or 20 years, and am debating picking a jar up.

For Brad2770 Brad2770

348s.jpg

• 1Like

Brad2770

I was just talking the my son about this today. That half a wheel of blue cheese I bought got finished off about 2 weeks ago. I had plans to make different dishes with it, but at the end of the day, I preferred just eating it in small chucks with crackers, olives and summer sausage and beer.

We are going back to Whole Foods today to get half a wheel of Swiss cheese. After trying the Blue Cheese, he is a bit more apprehensive to trying other types he hasn’t ate before. He didn’t like it unless I cooked it into something, which was mostly panini sandwiches or in bean and 5 cheese burrito.

I plan on trying all the ones suggested in here so far, but it takes some time to move through half a wheel of cheese.

Edit**

There is a place on the way to San Antonio that I wanted to stop at, but was closed on our way back. I may need to make a special trip for this place.

Brazos Valley Cheese

Last edited: