Cheese

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Superhiro

Silver Knight of the Realm
Since making this post I have realized that Romano ("Pecorino") is a far superior version of Parmesan.

No don't do it! They are not the same, they do not taste the same. Parm is aged longer and is cow milk. It has a softer, nutty flavor. Pecorino is aged only briefly, and is sheep milk. It is sharper, saltier, and tangier. They are different. They are both good, but not interchangeable. Each has it's place, depending on the recipe.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I put myself through college by working at Olive Garden. That cheese they grate on your meal is romano (or at least it was for the entire 5 - 6 years I worked there). So many people assumed it was parm and called it that. Most people can't tell the difference.

Anyway, romano is fucking amazing. It came in these massive shrink-wrapped blocks of tightly packed cheese cubes to be inserted in to the graters. I used to eat 1 - 2 of those cubes a night like apples, much to my manager's chagrin.

My all-time favorite cheese, however, is jarlsberg. Nothing beats a 2 pound triangle of jarlsberg and a loaf of bread with a big box of cranberry juice. Best damn meal in the world.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I much, much prefer romano to parmigiano. It's like half the price, too!

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
If I ever win the lottery, I would totally build a cheese and beer cellar.

It's pretty rare that I come across a cheese that I don't like. I was pretty stoked when my 19 month old went to town on dipping raw veggies in blue cheese dressing, I'm going to start introducing her to varieties beyond "string"

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
If I ever win the lottery, I would totally build a cheese and beer cellar.

Same. (I also really want to make sauerkraut, too, so that doesn't die out in the family)

I spent $60 at the country cheese store today. You want Carolina Reaper cheese? Schirracha cheese? Habenaro Cheese? Bacon and X cheese? They really do have some odd combinations.

But...when you look through all the cheeses they have, the only reason they have 275+ kinds of cheeses, is that a lot of it is 'standard' cheese with some added flavor or ingredient. Like "Taco (spreadable)" or "Blueberry Edam". I really like Muenster, but I just couldn't imagine some of the weird variations they had...if I want Muenster, I just want it plain.

No French/Euro cheese that I saw. No Camembert. The oddest stuff they had (outside of the flavors) was gorgonzola and limberger.

I picked up (approximate weight):
  • 1/2lb Mild Buffalo Wing Cheddar
  • 1/2lb of Jalapeno & Cheddar meat "sticks"
  • 1lb of #1 muenster
  • 1/2lb of a "Garden Spicy" blend cheese (American, Monterery Jack & Swiss; fairly soft)
  • 3/4lb of Hickory Smoked Carolina Reaper White Cheddar
  • 1-1/2 lbs of 1# Plain String Cheese
  • 1lb of pit smoked summer sausage, natural casing
  • 1/2 lb of blue cheese (not sure what I am going to do with this, maybe a salad?)
I stopped at a grocery when I got home. They have an entire area for cheese, and they have way more Euro cheeses. I almost never walk over to that area for some reason.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Oh, and a German or Euro is going to need to explain Wesa crispbread to me. I didn't want to just get Town House or Ritz crackers, but they didn't carry Breton that I saw. I assumed Wesa was crackers. I was wrong, and somewhat confused when I got the package open.

ITT: a cracker failing at crackers

tumblr_midhnubuOu1qczg0ro1_500.gif

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Could eat Mozzarella all day; far from sophisticated or high-brow but it's just good... my favorite kind is when it's in that soft doughy ball form; Lordy that's heaven.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Could eat Mozzarella all day; far from sophisticated or high-brow but it's just good... my favorite kind is when it's in that soft doughy ball form; Lordy that's heaven.
Nothing wrong with a nice mozzarella. As long as you don't consider Kraft singles cheese, you're good in my book.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I miss Findlay Market in Cincinnati. Gibbs' Cheese was the best. I used to go every Sunday. Ask for whatever's new or try random cheeses you never heard of. Ask how to best use them in dishes and get recipes. Good times.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
I dont think I could handle meeting McCheese in real life. It would be like being in the presence of an overwhelming deity...of delicious goodness.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I ate a small bag of fresh cheese curds in Montreal on the weekend.

It squeaks when you eat it! Mind blown. Taste buds blown.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Opened the Carolina Reaper cheese tonight. It is not mild.

I always thought squeaky cheese was a Canadian thing, too? Doesn't poutine use cheese curds?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>

My grandmother made cheese curds when I was a kid. They are amazing. Unfortunately they have to be eaten in like 2 days max after they're made so it's not too practical to have them in stores and what they do have in stores isn't the real deal.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
guys, try making your own moz, moz is the easiest to make all you need is
citric acid (you find this in the canning aisle)
rennet, the stuff that coagulates the curds, (you can find this in the pudding aisle under the brand junket in tablet form)

and just get whole milk

sure i'd suggest getting thick rubber gloves to fold over hot cheese, but thats about it.

then you can move on to other cheeses which require cultures(thats where you get that distinct taste from)

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
The cheese stand in the Ferry Building has cheese curds sometimes on Sundays and I've always wanted to get them and make poutine at home but that shit sells out immediately. Have to get there pretty early.

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

Try Haloumi. You can fry it or toss it on the grill and it doesn't melt. Squeeks when you eat it.

hal.jpeg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
The cheese stand in the Ferry Building has cheese curds sometimes on Sundays and I've always wanted to get them and make poutine at home but that shit sells out immediately. Have to get there pretty early.
The ones I got would've been great on poutine, but they were also amazing just for immediate snacking.

I'm now looking up recipes and techniques for "squeaky cheese curds"