Chef (2014)

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Fat, awkward chefs get Sofia Vergara AND Scarlett Johansson ? Come the fuck on.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Living the dream. He probably wouldn't get them because he's fat and awkward, but other chef's absolutely could.

khorum

Murder Apologist
A famous executive chef in LA sleeping with the hostess isn't just plausible, it's a cliche.

A young no-name chef in Miami bagging a princess from Cuban musical royalty is the fantasy.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
one of the things i wasnt sure on.
was the film's lack of an antagonist done intentionaly? there was no obstacle for this guy to overcome other those those he set up on his own. i thought maybe RDJ was gonna be the guy who gets in his way. but nope, we get a cute little cameo about this dude who used to bang chef's ex wife and is now got some issue with his secretary being pregnant. after that scene he is never heard from again i thought the fact they were showing them raking in money in state to state by the back door which they kept open would be foreshadowing to a theft later on . nope, everyone is honest. i thought the food truck's old mechanics would cause some pivotal breakdowns later in the flick, nope the food truck is a beast that can travel the country with out any problems. even the mean old food critic turned out to be one of his biggest fans. so i have to go with the antagonist being chef himself.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I liked the fact that there was no cliche bad guy in the film, it wouldn't have made sense. Even the critic in his original review he spent the first half jerking him off, that was what made the second half of the review hit so hard.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
one last thing i wasnt sure on. after chef walks off from his job, he goes out buys a ton of food, comes home and starts cooking. is he cooking to relieve stress? is he cooking to bring his "real menu" to the mean old food critic later on and show him he is still awesome? is he cooking to show his boss dustin hoffman that the new menu he has in mind is the way to go? its nagging at me. dude ran out of his house with a table full of food to yell at the food critic and im like , wait a minute, what was all that delicious food for?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I think he was just pissed, and he had all of the food he had bought for the menu that night.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
As someone who has worked as a chef for the better part of his life, I can tell you that this was probably the only movie into the profession that I can recall anything about. Which tells me there haven't been any movies about it, or they were all pretty shitty.

The hoffman/favreau clash was prettymuch perfect, as I have seen that exact situation play out twice in my life working in legit kitchens. Beancounter vs chef always ends up badly if the beancounter owns the restaurant.
It was also reminded me of kitchen confidential

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
has anyone seen that movie about the 2 competing indian restaurants? i dont remember the name. its how i came across chef in the first place

khorum

Murder Apologist
Helen mirren one? It's out in theaters tonight. It's indie so it might be out on torrents tho.

Krozman

N00b
63% on rt i wouldnt bother
Ignorant shit comment. This movie is meat and potatoes and the main characters are authentic where it matters. The weakness of the movie is that it's fairly predictable, but the movie doesn't try to do too much. You are thrown into a genuinely believable human experience and it's resolved in a completely believable way. Good father/son chemistry on screen. Go into the movie expecting a down to earth movie and you're not going to be disappointed. The only way you don't finish this movie is because you were hungry and you paused to go eat.

khorum

Murder Apologist
I think he was talking about the Helen mirren movie (since chef is at 89%)

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
Fat, awkward chefs get Sofia Vergara AND Scarlett Johansson ? Come the fuck on.
Chefs really can't be awkward in the kitchen, or they're not chefs for long. They have to be alpha as fuck, hence Ya, pretty much any chick in the restaurant wants to fuck them. For a hostess or server, a head chef is a huge Fucking catch. And I'm talking about a restaurant, not chili's.

Haven't seen the movie but as someone whose whole family has been restaurateurs, will watch if scarlet and Sofia get banged.

Lusiphur

Peasant
Saw it tonight. Whilst his love interests were a little too unbelievable the rest of the movie was solid. It hit in the feels a couple of times, delivered some laughs and entertained. Exactly what I wanted and expected. Oh and it WILL make you hungry.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Finally got a chance to see this tonight. I thought it was a decent movie. Yes, it was a feel good film, but it was entertaining none the less. That food though... holy shit, I wanted to try everything. I remember when they were filming it and people were tweeting seeing the actual truck. I wonder if they were able to sample the Cuban food, or if that was only extras.

Yum.