Chess

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Anyone have a recommendation on a good basic overview book for opening theory? I keep making early game mistakes because I remember nothing beyond like the first three moves of the Sicilian.

Early on the only goal for you in the opening is to get to the middle game without being down material. Knowing/memorizing openings won't be that helpful and is daunting as fuck. Basic rules for the opening:

1. Only move a piece once in the opening.
2. Knights before bishops
3. Castle
4. Don't move your queen too early
These are guidelines there are no hard and fast rules in chess for the most part. However if you do those things you should be able to get to a mid game without being already lost. Once you get more into the game and have more experience then find openings that you like/fit your style of play.

Another good way to improve in chess is to do puzzles.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Yeah, I know the general principles. I just feel like I arrive at the mid game with a lack of a clear continuity in what I should have been doing given the opening/response, even if I'm not down material. I'm basically at the "don't make 1-2 move errors and wait for the other guy to fuck up" stage of play.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Yeah, I know the general principles. I just feel like I arrive at the mid game with a lack of a clear continuity in what I should have been doing given the opening/response, even if I'm not down material. I'm basically at the "don't make 1-2 move errors and wait for the other guy to fuck up" stage of play.

Then I would read a good middle game book. The one I suggested earlier or My System that Furry suggested are both really good for that kind of thing

Chris

Potato del Grande

Maybe look for a book on checkmates like "How to Beat Your Dad at Chess" which has a free PDF out there and despite the name isn't for absolute beginners when it goes through 50 common checkmates.

You need something you are aiming for in your strategy and these checkmates are basically about winning in the midgame, with endgame being about having little material left and racing to promote a pawn.

I've barely gone through it and I started winning more games earlier after seeing a few of the concepts.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Then I would read a good middle game book. The one I suggested earlier or My System that Furry suggested are both really good for that kind of thing
Completely forgot about reassess your chess, read it when I was a little kid. It is a good book, but I’d say targeted to a lower experienced player than my system. Since they cover similar subjects, I’d suggest going reassess first and then moving on to my system. Building a strong tactical reflex is the absolute most important thing in chess play up to about 1800, and what I’d focus on until that is a barrier. From there memorizing openings, positional and endgame theory start to become more important in advancing, though tactics always remains important.

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Completely forgot about reassess your chess, read it when I was a little kid. It is a good book, but I’d say targeted to a lower experienced player than my system.
I picked up both, and FWIW "How to Reassess Your Chess" claims itself to be geared at 1400-2100 players and skips most of the bedrock basics. I've started Nimzowitsch and it looks like it's building towards the places I need to go.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
The 2nd half to the Candidates matches is being broadcast/commentated on here: for anyone interested

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
If you want to improve: play a lot of 5 minute chess games.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I remember as a teen I had a buddy I played who was just getting into it. I’d probably win 7 of 10 games against him, we played kind of slow. I was good for my town but there were no clubs or anything, I probably wasn’t really very good but he was the only challenging person I played beyond my dad who taught me how to play and was really into it for a while. Then one day I went over there I was on LSD, he wasn’t, and he wanted to play and I could see every move at once and several moves ahead. I was taking my turns in seconds while he took his usual long turns and just smoked him game after game. It was pretty wild.

• 1Worf

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Alright, now confirmed, it's gonna be Carlsen vs. Nepo for championship.

• 1Like

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
There is a new youngest GM ever... 12 years 4 months and 25 days. Beating Karjken's record by over 2 months.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
What is amazing about chess is that even after 100 years of recorded history, games never repeats after what 15sh move.

article about new chess gm

• 1Like

Captain Suave

I wonder how much earlier he could have done it if 2020 hadn't been so fucked for in-person play.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I have an unhealthy obsession with the Botez Sisters.

unrelated. NBC to broadcast chess match for the chess world cup

new James bond Villain identified

1626825796952.png

• 1Worf