Chicago + New York

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Travelling to both of these places for a week each in March. I live in Vancouver and cook for a living so I will be primarily going to have some great eating experiences.

Any recommendations for restaurants/places to visit/things to do?

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Girl and The Goat in Chicago. Make your reservations now

Also,

Owen & Engine
Au Cheval
Longman & Eagle
Avec

and for something more casual: Lockdown Burgers

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You can email the guys at Next and Alinea and tell them you are a visiting chef and see if you can get a table at either of those places. They claim to give preferential treatment to visiting chefs.

also EL Ideas if you don't mind eating with other people (semi-communal). Probably the best meal and experience I've ever had in Chicago.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Not a high class joint by any means, but Giordano's in Chicago is some of the best pizza I've ever had.

prescient

Silver Knight of the Realm
Let me start by saying that if you arent looking to go to super high end restaurants then i really think that Brooklyn is where its at. Brooklyn Fare is probably the best restaurant in NYC at any price point, but it's really hard to get a seat at the chefs table. It is very expensive though. Besides that the other high end well regarded restaurants are super easy to figure out. Therefore I'll just mention some places that I really like. Kaz An Nou is a cash only, byob, Carribean restaurant which is fantastic and fairly inexpensive. You also need to hit up either Toto Ramen or Ippudo. For breakfast Penelope's is really good. I enjoyed the Italian food at Frankie's 457 and thought the pesto was great. Also, Prime Meats is owned by the same guy and is fantastic. Try Katz's Deli for sure. Lucali's has great pizza. This is where Jay Z and Beyonce go to get their fix. Fette Sau is fantastic BBQ in Williamsburg. There are so many good restaurants in NYC that you could spend a month here and not try them all but this might give you a start, and I'm a bit biased towards Brooklyn because I like the vibe there better.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
For pizza in Chicago, I'd recommend Lou Malnati's for deep dish.

Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder Co. for something unique... they do pizza pot pies.

If you want to go really out of your way, Burt's is really good pizza but they have a weird reservation method. You basically call and tell them when you are interested in coming in and order your food right then on the phone and it's ready when you get there.

Vinen

God is dead
Let me start by saying that if you arent looking to go to super high end restaurants then i really think that Brooklyn is where its at. Brooklyn Fare is probably the best restaurant in NYC at any price point, but it's really hard to get a seat at the chefs table. It is very expensive though. Besides that the other high end well regarded restaurants are super easy to figure out. Therefore I'll just mention some places that I really like. Kaz An Nou is a cash only, byob, Carribean restaurant which is fantastic and fairly inexpensive. You also need to hit up either Toto Ramen or Ippudo. For breakfast Penelope's is really good. I enjoyed the Italian food at Frankie's 457 and thought the pesto was great. Also, Prime Meats is owned by the same guy and is fantastic. Try Katz's Deli for sure. Lucali's has great pizza. This is where Jay Z and Beyonce go to get their fix. Fette Sau is fantastic BBQ in Williamsburg. There are so many good restaurants in NYC that you could spend a month here and not try them all but this might give you a start, and I'm a bit biased towards Brooklyn because I like the vibe there better.
You must be a hipster.

(That said, fuck best Brunch I ever had was in Brooklyn)

You can email the guys at Next and Alinea and tell them you are a visiting chef and see if you can get a table at either of those places. They claim to give preferential treatment to visiting chefs.
This is true. When we were @ Alinea for the 2nd time this past summer Achatz himself came out for a visiting chef's bday and did the final course presentation (the white chocolate ball thing) himself. Was pretty cool. I was jealous.

If you can spring for Alinea its 100% worth it. I'm glad husband and I had opportunity to go twice before it changed to the ticketing system (which makes out of town visits hard) and before getting pregnant (I don't see us spending 1100 dollars on one meal again any time soon......well except MAYBE Per Se in NYC....though if you are able to avoid the secondary market for the tickets I suppose going to Alinea is now cheaper than that).

YIMMY_sl

shitlord
Went to Mission chinese food a few weeks ago. Amazing food if you like great chinese. On the lower east side of Manhattan. Very small place, go on an off hour and order many appetizers and an entree. They are all awesome. They serve free beer if you wait in line as well.

Kaio

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Go!Go!Curry! Awesome japanese curry and chicken cutlets/tempura.http://www.gogocurryusa-ny.com/

One time a few years ago I picked up a friend from new york (8 hours away) just so I can go and eat the shit out of go go curry. I really want that shit right god-damn now damnit. Also great is that pizzeria around the corner, which corner you say? Any corner....I kind of don't know remember which ones I liked best and there is just so many of them.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Go!Go!Curry! Awesome japanese curry and chicken cutlets/tempura.http://www.gogocurryusa-ny.com/

One time a few years ago I picked up a friend from new york (8 hours away) just so I can go and eat the shit out of go go curry. I really want that shit right god-damn now damnit. Also great is that pizzeria around the corner, which corner you say? Any corner....I kind of don't know remember which ones I liked best and there is just so many of them.
Tempted to try that here in Tokyo, not that there's a lack of good curry restaurants here

Killswitch

N00b
I just had pizza from Pequods pizza and dare I say its better than Lou's. Don't get me wrong I love Lous but Pequods just has their own things going and its pretty fucking good. Its up in Lincoln Park area but way worth the ride. This is jizz in your pants good pizza.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/pequods-pizzeria-chicago

If your headed that way stop by Kuma's Corner for a great burger and decent selection of craft beer too. I highly recommend the Black Sabbath burger.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/kumas-corner...kumas%20korner

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
Anywhere you get pizza in either place will be 1000x better than where you live. Of course there are better places but the worst NYC pizza will be better than anywhere else

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I just had pizza from Pequods pizza and dare I say its better than Lou's. Don't get me wrong I love Lous but Pequods just has their own things going and its pretty fucking good. Its up in Lincoln Park area but way worth the ride. This is jizz in your pants good pizza.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/pequods-pizzeria-chicago

If your headed that way stop by Kuma's Corner for a great burger and decent selection of craft beer too. I highly recommend the Black Sabbath burger.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/kumas-corner...kumas%20korner
Pequod's is definitely my top pizza in Chicago right now, though I havent tried Great Lake Pizzeria in Andersonville yet. Better than Giordano's, Malnati's, Gino's East, Uno's, Piece, etc.

As far as Kuma's corner, that's why I suggest Lockdown burgers earlier. Kuma's is jam packed these days and it can take upwards of 2-3 hours to get seated. They dont have an inside waiting area so if you are going in March, you'll be waiting outside in the cold. Lockdown burgers are just as good and the place isnt slammed all the time, though it will be by summer probably.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/lockdown-bar-and-grill-chicago

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pequod's is really good. It's where Burt from Burt's Pizza started out so they are pretty similar.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Thanks for the suggestions. I figure I'll go to one SUPER high end place per city to get my fix then do it pretty reasonable for the rest. What would your Top place in each city be?

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Thanks for the suggestions. I figure I'll go to one SUPER high end place per city to get my fix then do it pretty reasonable for the rest. What would your Top place in each city be?
Super high end place?

Or super high end place that you'll be able to get in without needing 6 month reservations?

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Alinea, EL, TRU, Grace, Schwa, Goosefoot, Elizabeth would all be considered super high end.

Alinea does tickets for reservations now, but like I said, if you are a chef, they usually will get you in if you call far enough in advance.