Chronicles of Elyria - new mmo

Carl_sl

shitlord
The game is Skill based similar to UO, there is character aging, and permanent death with some skill carry over to your legacy. You continue after you die, via your family. Dieing to a mob results in years being knocked off your life rather than an instant death or will kill you if you don't have the years available to continue.

All sounds pretty cool, the only question is, are YOU ready to be disappointed by lack of execution?

Chronicles of Elyria Wants to Bring Meaning Back to MMO Life a Previews at MMORPG.com

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
Neat ideas in that link. Like the author said, very ambitious plans for their sandbox.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yea, certainly some interesting concepts....doubt it will ever exist like that though.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Sounds good on paper. Need more information on their "engine" that they have made themselves and I wonder what their budget is and how long they have been in business.

rolx_sl

shitlord
Sounds refreshing. I see this as the new cycle. EQ hard ( at its time ) >>>wow eq2 easy games. Now headed back towards challenge. All great ideas on paper. I love the thought of no quest hubs, and thrill of dying meaning something going to make raiding real tough. Plus the attitude of purps not dropping off random wolf01. Cheers to the future.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
I wanna be a female and have my job be to provide heirs for adventures who think they will die often. Basically you get me preggo and I'll spawn your next soul or life or whatever!

Either way this crap won't come out for like 5 years, right? I'll have forgot all about it by then.

Carl_sl

shitlord
Theres some dev journals to read but the guy appears to be working on this game while also being a development lead at microsoft so I'm guessing slow is the name of the game for this project.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
More than a few games sound good early on. Will be interesting to see how they execute their plan. Certainly sounds interesting and different.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
remember that game Horizons? when they announced it back in like 2002, it was like "27 playable races including DRAGONS, you can go to heaven or hell, Everquest is gonna get its SHIT PUSHED IT"

launched in 2007 as Istaria, one of the worst MMOs ever made, less content than EQ_ tutorial_ demo.exe

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Don't worry, some day Dawn will be finished, and it will surely save everyone.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Kind of, but you still can't home brew something.
Anyone can write text for a MUD, which meant making your MUD for free (except your own time).

Making art for a MMO is a couple orders of magnitude harder. Even if you're only using isometric stuff and not full 3D.

Neverwinter was close to the dream of a MMO toolkit... save for not having any MMO functionality (and horrible tileset expandability support).

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Pantheon jokes aside, you can actually get some decent art in something like the Unity store. I would also think as the middleware get better/cheaper (network code, database, client/server setups etc) the more those assets become either free or really cheap. You can't do it right now, but in 5 years? Probably.

You'll probably start seeing home made MMOs start popping up at that point. Right now Unity is free to play with, and it's easy as fuck to build ok-ish maps. The really big hurdle for home brew games is not the art assets, it's making all the pieces talk to each other. As of now, it's not a hurdle for indie developers but it is for hobbyists.

Carl_sl

shitlord
yea, but by then I'll be demanding all my mmo's to be first person VR supported with haptic dick sucking functionality and the little devs still won't be able to keep up.