City of Heroes has actually been online for years....

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
They just brought two more servers online to handle the influx of people. Atlas park has folks all over the place.

And they coded up a queue for joining server too. Shits getting real.

Also, I have the game client code too. lol.

Crazy, is a 100% total leak. I can't see how NCSoft can stop it at this point - they might be able to do something if these guys collect money (which they arent) but in the event NCSoft gets this shut down, the ability to make a private server is fairly easy at this point.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
If this still exists by the weekend I may give it a whirl. Had a great time on this back in the day but never tried City if Villains.

Super jump was awesome.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
If this still exists by the weekend I may give it a whirl. Had a great time on this back in the day but never tried City if Villains.

Super jump was awesome.

They've gotten it much more stable now, and still quite a bit of people. I think they have over 5,000 concurrent users on it, which ain't too bad.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
why cant all the other games get this legit leak treatment? sheesh

• 1Solidarity

Hosix

All labs matter!
Logged on....smashed things. I don’t remember the builds. Will play again.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Those running this server posted this. Not sure how true it is, but that's some pretty beefy hardware for what it is. Probably not very optimized code, since its from 2004 era.

Hey folks!

Just a few quick updates for you.

State of the Servers
As of this morning, everything should be running fairly smoothly. We’ve added another two mapservers, for a total of 9. We’ve also capped the concurrent players to 1,500 per shard for the moment, but we will look at slowly increasing this until we start seeing stability issues.

We’ve also made a number of other small tweaks, including setting all zones to unload if they are empty. This means you may get an extended loading time if you try to enter a currently-empty zone.

Setup & Finances
We’ve had a bunch of questions regarding what the current setup is, where it is, and what it’s costing, so in the interest of transparency:

1x Auth Server (4 cores, 8GB RAM)
1x Web Server (4 cores, 8GB RAM)
4x DB Servers (6 cores, 16GB RAM) (One per shard)
5x Big Mapservers (32 cores, 64GB RAM)
4x Small Mapservers (16 cores, 32GB RAM)

It’s hosted in Amsterdam, and overall it’s costing around $4,700 per month.

Reconnecting
The previously-mentioned fix for allowing players to skip the login queue if they disconnect has been improved, and should now work under almost all circumstances. Please let us know if you continue to encounter issues with it.

And some quick stats: We’re on 31,500 accounts, 107,183 characters, and we currently have just under 3,000 people online.

That’s all for today. Please don’t hit the servers too hard!

Go. Hunt. Kill Skuls.

- The Homecoming Team

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Running this setup without some form of donation system seems like it won't last long.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Been playing a lot trying to get my fix. :)

If anyone wants to group up my global name is @Blazing Rabbit

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, they posted that hosting is costing about five grand a month. Part of that is ancient network code which they're cleaning up in an attempt to make larger private servers feasible. The current team is dead set against donations, which I respect and understand. There's at least one other team that is taking donations but they don't have server details anywhere public.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
I'm on Indomitable. It's been an interesting trip down memory lane. I'm a fickle bitch when it comes to games these days though so I might delete it at any moment.

How can they sustain 5 grand per month if they are not taking donations? Maybe the retards at NCsoft should take note that there is interest.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Downloaded and having a blast. I must have stopped playing before the last few powersets went live. It's nice trying out new combos.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Is there some sort of bank / vault? I can’t remember. Just trying to figure out a way to transfer shit between characters.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Server stats!

• 1Like

Delly

Trakanon Raider
The past few days I was really wanting to play a summoning class in an MMO game and currently it seems like everything is limited AF. Mastermind was one of those suggested as one of the best and the nostalgia hit hard. Glad I checked this thread out because I'm downloading this shit now to get my MM Bot/FF fix.

Magimaster

Trakanon Raider
Fired this up and I've run into a frustrating issue where my characters get stuck trying to zone into Port Oakes from Mercy Isle. Progress bar zips to 40% full then just sits there till it kicks me for inactivity. Not sure what I can do to fix it.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Have you asked a GM on the discord? I've not heard of that happening, also try to re-validate the files through Tequila (or whateverr launcher you're using)