Civilization V: Brave New World

The new* expansion adds a ton of layers to the existing game, even beyond religion.

I still can't stand the information era end game though, basically with Giant Death Robots you just wreak havoc and the game ends. I wish they had an option for keeping the game in the Ancient Era only

Braen

<Medals Crew>
Been thinking about picking this up while staying home with my new kid.

Anyone happen to have an extra Steam copy of Civ 5 they never used? haha

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Braen, I dont really ever use Steam. But I do have Civ 5 - w/o the expac, etc. Just message me if you catch my drift. :p I only have games that I was gifted on there.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I said it in the Steam thread and I suppose it is worth repeating here... if you still play Civ:5 at all, the expansion is a must. The expansion doesn't just tack on some units/features and call it good. It cleans up and balances the entire tech tree. It adds religion from the get-go (which evolves throughout the game), adds some depth with spies mid to late game, and add some much need depth for the later years.

Vanilla Civ:5 is a lackluster product and God's & Kings makes it the game it should have been at launch. It is still debatable if it ever eclipses Civ:4. Most people would say it does not.

Braen

<Medals Crew>
Thanks for the responses everyone. My Steam name is narlykai

Maybe we should make a thread for people to give away steam games they don't want or have extras of...

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
Thanks for the responses everyone. My Steam name is narlykai

Maybe we should make a thread for people to give away steam games they don't want or have extras of...
Sent you a friend invite, name is same as here. I have a Civ V I can give ya, for the name of Mistwalkers!

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Thing I find funnest about Civ5 is picking different leaders and trying my damnedest to exploit their special abilities.

• Ramesses with the Egyptians, for his 20% Wonder production is a favorite. You stack that with Marble resource, Golden Age, Religion bonus, and it is something like 60% bonus to wonder production.
  • Darius of Persia, for 50% increase Golden Age durations. Stack this with the wonder that increases Golden Ages. Get the Mandate of Heave social policy and build lots of Colosseum's.
  • Bismarck of Germany, 50% conversion of killing Barbarians in their camps and +25 gold.
Which leaders do you guys like to play with?

Somehow ethiopia is the easiest for me to win on immortal/deity. The additional faith is just amazing.
ethiopia net me my first victory on immortal. I really like playing as Alexander though, it's nice to keep him off the map when you aren't using Random personalities. He's so goddamn aggressive.

and Rhamkhanghang is a fucking lying bitch

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Finally got around to playing this after purchasing it during the Steam Xmas sale, is it just me or is this the most unstable game ever made? It sure it the most unstable game I've ever owned, render crashes, window crashes, etc. etc. Maybe it doesn't play nice on a Windows 8 machine but after updating my drivers and following all the tips to try to get this stable the game will crash on me at random intervals no matter what I do. Anybody else run into this and have any ideas or should I just give up at this point?

Ko Dokomo_sl

shitlord
It was a bit unstable for me at launch. But that was years ago and pre-exp. Now I have zero problems crashing. Perhaps you could try lowering the settings; it can get fairly graphics intense.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
I have an i5 and a GTX 660Ti, you wouldn't think I would need to lower the settings. I've had the game crash in the first 1000 years when there isn't much going on at all. I'll give it a shot though.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
If they offer this for free I'll try. I'm still super butthurt I shelled out $55 or whatever for the base CIV 5. That they are charging you additional money to "fix" the game rustles my jimmies something fierce.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
The new* expansion adds a ton of layers to the existing game, even beyond religion.

I still can't stand the information era end game though, basically with Giant Death Robots you just wreak havoc and the game ends. I wish they had an option for keeping the game in the Ancient Era only
If you haven't won before giant death robots you are doing something wrong.

I like to play Ghengis Khan for domination victories. Keshiks and khans are crazy good. Best time I've had with the mongols was 258 turns at Emperor difficulty.

If I'm going science or diplomatic victory, Babylon is pretty tough. That early scientist gives a really solid early game boost. With their UA I usually end up getting a total of about 12 great scientist by the end. Scored a 264 turn Diplo victory on Emperor with them the other day.

Ramses is great for a cultural victory, I think the best I've done with him was 282 at Emperor.

Gods and Kings really turned the game around. Still play the shit out of it.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Regarding stability, I've had Civ 5 going for apparently more than 120 hours across a laptop and a PC (Win 8 and Win 7 respectively), and the game engine itself has had 0 problems. The multiplayer is a whole other bundle of fuck-jobbery though.

Edit: Next big expansion announced,Brave New World. Revamps culture and diplomacy, adds Archaeology (which sounds awesome), 9 new civs including probably Assyria. No mention of multiplayer modding or multiplayer working-bettering so far. Will buy day 1 if it adds multiplayer modding, will wait for $7.50 sale otherwise.

Numbers_sl

shitlord
Finally got around to playing this after purchasing it during the Steam Xmas sale, is it just me or is this the most unstable game ever made? It sure it the most unstable game I've ever owned, render crashes, window crashes, etc. etc. Maybe it doesn't play nice on a Windows 8 machine but after updating my drivers and following all the tips to try to get this stable the game will crash on me at random intervals no matter what I do. Anybody else run into this and have any ideas or should I just give up at this point?
I can't even run it in DX10/11 because it will crash. I figured it was my ATI 5800 drivers conflicting with the game somehow but I don't know.