Civilization V: Brave New World

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Regarding stability, I've had Civ 5 going for apparently more than 120 hours across a laptop and a PC (Win 8 and Win 7 respectively), and the game engine itself has had 0 problems. The multiplayer is a whole other bundle of fuck-jobbery though.

Edit: Next big expansion announced,Brave New World. Revamps culture and diplomacy, adds Archaeology (which sounds awesome), 9 new civs including probably Assyria. No mention of multiplayer modding or multiplayer working-bettering so far. Will buy day 1 if it adds multiplayer modding, will wait for $7.50 sale otherwise.
Excited to see they are tweaking culture and adding international trade routes. And new wonders and civs are always fun.

I play on a crappy $300, two year old laptop and just play on strategic view. it's not pretty, but I don't play Civ games for pretty.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Played it on a 5870 before without hitches pre-G&K would tend to think its not drivers. Unless you meant a literal 5800 - that likely wouldn't have the horsepower for DX10 mode in any decent resolution, Civ5 in DX10 was quite demanding for the timeframe it came out.

Maxxed settings on DX10 at 1080p would hiccup even on that 5870 when too much started happening from what I recall even. Had to run a few nonmaxxed settings to keep it smooth in later stages. (Or run it in lower resolution as I had to do for a few between monitors - since my backup back then was 1280 max res)

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Well I think I figured it out, it basically revolves around leader cut-scenes as far as I can tell. I'm going to set the graphics to that to low and see if that makes any difference.

Vaclav

Yea leader scenes were one of the first places performance seemed to crop up - never made sense to me - guess they keep the world loaded fully while in the scene.

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have a copy of Civ 5 I can gift to a really nice, polite, upstanding member of the community.

Numbers_sl

shitlord
Played it on a 5870 before without hitches pre-G&K would tend to think its not drivers. Unless you meant a literal 5800 - that likely wouldn't have the horsepower for DX10 mode in any decent resolution, Civ5 in DX10 was quite demanding for the timeframe it came out.

Maxxed settings on DX10 at 1080p would hiccup even on that 5870 when too much started happening from what I recall even. Had to run a few nonmaxxed settings to keep it smooth in later stages. (Or run it in lower resolution as I had to do for a few between monitors - since my backup back then was 1280 max res)
I use a 5870 as well, but it crashes in DX10/11 mode pre-G&K and post. I'm not smart enough to figure out what the problem is but I think I'm going to format my hard drive soon then buy a slightly newer graphics card and see how that goes.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Still crashing with the Render error which in looking at the 2k forums and the Civ wiki is pretty common after G&K and the most recent patch. Only a problem on the biggest maps it seems which with the computer I have shouldn't be as big of an issue as it is. Going to mess with some settings as this is retarded.

Vaclav

Interesting - wish I still had the 5870 to swap in and test things next time I play to give some feedback - but my midrange machine has been upgraded to a complete beast since then. (Amongst other things SSD'ed and an Nvidia GTX 680 - wife's is a clone too except 6970DD for hers)

Building a machine that otherwise would be perfect to test with, but for a non-gamer so it's only got onboard AMD chipset which would be pathetic to test to compare against a 5870.

I do recall Anti-Aliasing even with a beefy card being a problem with Civ5 DX10/11 considering the normal hit I'd expect - beyond that I don't recall anything that was problematic regularly though. (And of course there's stuff in Catalyst that could be different even then)

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Interesting - wish I still had the 5870 to swap in and test things next time I play to give some feedback - but my midrange machine has been upgraded to a complete beast since then. (Amongst other things SSD'ed and an Nvidia GTX 680 - wife's is a clone too except 6970DD for hers)

Building a machine that otherwise would be perfect to test with, but for a non-gamer so it's only got onboard AMD chipset which would be pathetic to test to compare against a 5870.

I do recall Anti-Aliasing even with a beefy card being a problem with Civ5 DX10/11 considering the normal hit I'd expect - beyond that I don't recall anything that was problematic regularly though. (And of course there's stuff in Catalyst that could be different even then)
Game runs just fine on my machine(i7 920 @ 3600mhz, GTX680, 6GB memory), even on a extra large custom earth map wth 24 civs.

As for the game itself, how do you guys stay competitive with the AI? I recently started playing again and there is no way to keep pace with them in terms of technology and production. Even focusing on 2-3 cities around highly productive areas its been impossible for me to stay with them.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
What difficulty are you playing on? What civs you play with? What SPs are you opening with?

The best basic strategy is a basic 4 cities, full tradition open. You should be shooting to get 4 cities up by turn 60ish with the National College built by turn 80/90. The best way to get those early cities up is selling your early resources to teh AI before happiness is a problem. use that cash to purchase your first two settlers. Settle directly on a resource if you can and immediately sell it for 240g. This only works at Emperor or above though because at lower levels the AI just doesn't have the cash. Once you have those four cities up and your National College built you will be getting close to finishing Tradition, your cities will be booming, you will get some happiness back from those early deals, and should be set up to carry out the victory of your choice.

Oh and steal a couple workers from city states early so you don't waste time building or buying them.

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
I'm not that nice or polite or upstanding but I'd love some multiplayer civ.
Multiplayer Civ5 is all kinds of awful. I can't believe that most of the features from Civ4 never made it in. Things like, pinging the map, marking the map, drawing lines, etc. It makes it real tough to communicate to your teammate positioning and city placement without those things.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Had to disable leaderheads in order to get the game stable, don't really get it but whatever. Now instead of seeing the leader and hearing them it's just a gray screen with text. No more crashes though.

calla_sl

shitlord
I use a 5870 as well, but it crashes in DX10/11 mode pre-G&K and post. I'm not smart enough to figure out what the problem is but I think I'm going to format my hard drive soon then buy a slightly newer graphics card and see how that goes.
i'm using a 5870 as well and i haven't noticed any graphical problems. i played around with settings and even fullscreen/windowed mode and nothing bad to report.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Just a heads up--If you're looking to buy Gods and Kings, just buy the "Gold Upgrade" pack instead. It has God and Kings included, and is 10$ cheaper, plus you get all the scenario packs. Steam is usually better about showing deals like that, but it's not on the God and Kings page. You have to go to the original Civ 5 page, and it has the upgrade below the full gold pack deal (for only 20 bucks).

I'm still wondering why they did it like this, they usually aren't this bad at highlighting deals.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Future shit that hasn't happened shouldn't be in these games. There is enough interesting things in RL to pull from.
Additionally, the game is about acquiring new tech which makes previously loved things near obsolete. Modern times should be less about war and more about diplomacy and economics.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Why not? It's Civilization, not HistorySim. Unless the nuclear apocalypse occurs soonish, I think civilization will continue.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Future shit that hasn't happened shouldn't be in these games. There is enough interesting things in RL to pull from.
Additionally, the game is about acquiring new tech which makes previously loved things near obsolete. Modern times should be less about war and more about diplomacy and economics.
Allowing players to customize how far they are able to progress in the Tech Tree in predefined Eras is more than acceptable. I've never heard of anyone complaining about too much content in a game, though? Also, War is ever present in "Modern Times." Its just that these wars arent particularly intimidating to the bigger, more developed Countries. Much less, a War could break out from the bigger Countries fairly easily.