Civilization VI

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I've enjoyed it but echo the other complaints about AI Difficulty. The scaling on it is super intense, I did my first play through on Prince just to get a feel for the new mechanics and because I hadn't played Civ in forever and I easily out-scaled all of the . I started my next game on Immortal and got my shit pushed in so god damn hard. I've just started yet another one on Emperor and that one seems to be going decently so far.

Still enjoying the game though.

For me, after two games on Emperor, I really struggled against religion because of their faith bonus scaling. I eventually managed to get my army, gold, and production up to good levels where, with some time, I could have defeated any particular civ. However, I lost both games from Religious victory because I wasn't able to found my own religion (fucking Saladin robbed me both times). If you can't found your own religion and you get converted to the dominant religion, there's not much you can do outside of full on conquest. And if the dominant religion has tons of cities or is across the map, it's unlikely you'll be able to move on them in time. I'm not sure what happens if you totally destroy the civ with the dominant religion but I know taking their holy city doesn't matter (I sadly thought it would). The apostle/missionary spam means there's very little chance of getting a science or culture victory before they've spread everywhere.

On my third game Emperor, I am completely focused on getting a religion just to be able to ensure I can control my destiny. I'm going to just play defensively with it by keeping my cities in my religion and stash some apostles with the promotion to remove all other religion in case I get overwhelmed. In fact, it might be worth it to stash those apostles and save your faith until the threat of religious defeat is near, then pop them and use all that faith to reconvert your cities and kill the other guys.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Haha, that is some Aloha Snackbar gaming right there.

aloha-snackbar.png

DickTrickle

Haha, yeah, I didn't even think about the parallel there since he did found Islam both times. Civ6 too realistic!

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
i really, really wish the higher difficulties were just smarter/better/less retarded AI rather than giving resource bonuses to the computer. giving them resource bonuses makes me not want to play any of the higher levels.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I wonder if there have been fan mods that have successfully increased the intelligence of the AI past the point Firaxis has ever been able to? The bonus' rather than truly better AI has always been lame.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
the comment section in RPS for Civ 6 review had a really good, lengthy discussion on AI in general in games like Civ and the general consensus was the decision tree increases exponentially and the computational power simply isnt there to make turn duration reasonable.

also the usual culprits of AI not being a high priority, not enough QA and Dev time allotted to it, players want strong AIs but they dont want predictable min/maxing AIs - they want them to be more humanlike

i thought it was a good read: Wot I Think: Sid Meier’s Civilization VI

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
I wonder if there have been fan mods that have successfully increased the intelligence of the AI past the point Firaxis has ever been able to? The bonus' rather than truly better AI has always been lame.

I can't think of an AI mod off the top of my head. Community balance patch maybe. But I hate what the patch does to culture trees.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
For someone who has played 0 civ games except like 15 minutes of Civ 1, How is this game and how hard is it to get into/pick up? I like complex world building but this looks intimidating.

Pyratec

Golden Knight of the Realm
For someone who has played 0 civ games except like 15 minutes of Civ 1, How is this game and how hard is it to get into/pick up? I like complex world building but this looks intimidating.

I think Civ is like many games, easy to learn, hard to master. They have a decent but not great tutorial in the game which should help you get started, and then you can learn as you go. There are seven or eight different difficulty levels, just pick an easy one to start and work your way up.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>

If you played a lot of 4x before, this will be much easier but its still considerably more complicated than a typical 4x like Stellaris because of additional layers like religion, civics, simultaneous research trees, etc.

however, it is also a lot more rewarding and satisfying than any 4x i played, so i think its well worth the time investment. the in game tutorial is good enough to help you win at lower difficulty levels, after that you should be familiar enough to play at normal difficulty levels

Funkor

Molten Core Raider
I can't think of an AI mod off the top of my head. Community balance patch maybe. But I hate what the patch does to culture trees.
Only AI mod I've seen for 6 so far is this one:
Delnar's AI Cleanup

Won't see any big AI modding efforts until Firaxis opens up the code behind their DLLs where most of the AI programming is. Only so much you can mod just tweaking the xml files and so forth.

DickTrickle

Learned a day or two ago that the diplomacy rating is a per turn amount. So, that's why you can be unfriendly even though your current score is positive. It also explains why it's so hard to get good relations at times -- a 20 point warmonger penalty is really 210 points total. This is why it's so important to get early relations up. You should always try to get embasy/open borders when possible -- you can usually get it when you first meet a civ but then next turn they won't go for it.

DickTrickle

So, after my last two games were religious losses, I was determined to get a religion in my next Emperor game. I got super lucky by getting a relic early on so I was able to get the first Pantheon. I was the second to religion, too. This time, I had a new strategy. When I got an Apostle with the promotion to remove all other religious influence in a city, I made him go to the two nearest holy cities by me. I converted them and while there was a diplomatic hit, it wasn't that awful. Now, since this was early in the game, I think the civs only had two holy sites per civ. So, instead of trying to get a missionary or apostle out of their other city, they kept building missionaries and apostles in their holy city -- which were now of my religion. Long story short, they started pumping out tons of missionaries and apostles of my religion to convert the continent. I used the AI's spamming methods in my favor and won a fairly easy religious victory even though my faith output wasn't that strong.

I think this is a pretty amazing strategy and wish I had thought of it sooner. You just have to make sure not to waste the apostles with this promotion on non holy cities.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
So, after my last two games were religious losses, I was determined to get a religion in my next Emperor game. I got super lucky by getting a relic early on so I was able to get the first Pantheon. I was the second to religion, too. This time, I had a new strategy. When I got an Apostle with the promotion to remove all other religious influence in a city, I made him go to the two nearest holy cities by me. I converted them and while there was a diplomatic hit, it wasn't that awful. Now, since this was early in the game, I think the civs only had two holy sites per civ. So, instead of trying to get a missionary or apostle out of their other city, they kept building missionaries and apostles in their holy city -- which were now of my religion. Long story short, they started pumping out tons of missionaries and apostles of my religion to convert the continent. I used the AI's spamming methods in my favor and won a fairly easy religious victory even though my faith output wasn't that strong.

I think this is a pretty amazing strategy and wish I had thought of it sooner. You just have to make sure not to waste the apostles with this promotion on non holy cities.

thats pretty funny but its definitely something thats going to get patched. i tried doing that in civ 5 and AI would simply buy inquisitors, purge their holy city of my religion and then start building missionaries of their own religion again. i cant believe they overlooked this in civ 6

DickTrickle

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but doesn't closing your borders prevent religious units as well?

Nope, pretty sure you can go in at any time. Shit's fucking bullshit when they have them in your lands and are on a spot you want to build on and you can't do shit about it.

Unless I was able to get in because the Civ for Open Borders wasn't there yet and so it allows in by default? I feel pretty certain that I didn't have OB with Saladin when I did it.

Last edited:

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but doesn't closing your borders prevent religious units as well?

in civ 5 it would only prevent military units and scouts (maybe workers too, i dont remember). you could still send missionaries, inquisitors and great prophets into countries with closed borders

Citz

Silver Squire
In civ 5, the only penalty of going in with religious units on closed borders was to lose some effectiveness (25%?) each turn.