Civilization VI

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
I bit the bullet and got the game.

I feel like I'm terrible and I really don't understand the district stuff.
Cheat Sheet

District_Cheat_Sheet.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
I'm having the same problem in this game that I have in other Civs and it's me having a incredibly boring play style. I get 4-8 cities while avoiding any type of war. Max out production and science and eventually steam roll everything when Ive already pretty much won and have tanks and bombers when everyone else has horsemen. I've only played on prince so far so might try upping the difficulty.

Also Germany seems OP as fuck. Extra district and upgraded production disctrict is way too good.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
So, apparently I was unable to put this game on the shelf like I thought. Played a game as Scythia and played around with the selling exploit... it is truly ridiculous, so much so I stopped doing it shortly after messing with it because it's completely broken. Otherwise, a nice Civ. Healing 50 points on an enemy's death is so powerful given the poor enemy AI and the effectiveness of ranged combat.

Now I'm playing a Huge map with Victoria (England). I tried something different this time and put Abundant resources on and... holy shit, what a difference it has made. In many of my past games, I've had issues with the AI either not expanding enough or not upgrading units. Both, ultimately, are tied to amenities, I think. I'd see the civs that weren't expanding had even built settlers but just weren't moving them. However, with abundant resources, it's a fucking free for all on land. Since it's a huge map, there's a lot to explore and there's been multiple times I thought I found the start of a civ's territory but realized it was just a satellite outpost of cities. It's made thing so much more fun. And, they even seem to be upgrading their units! It's making this Immortal game an interesting challenge, though I did luck out with an excellent starting area.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Been loving your post on Civ, Dick. Im still having fun with it. I still get my most enjoyment in the beginning.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fadaar

That guy
You know, I always thought this forum had its fair share of autistic motherfuckers, but reading CivFanatics is like ground zero for autism. Jesus Christ.

This place makes most other forums look tame in all aspects. Despite the stupid shit that happens here it generally stays rather civil and the truly stupid don't last.

• 1Smuggly
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
So, apparently I was unable to put this game on the shelf like I thought. Played a game as Scythia and played around with the selling exploit... it is truly ridiculous, so much so I stopped doing it shortly after messing with it because it's completely broken. Otherwise, a nice Civ. Healing 50 points on an enemy's death is so powerful given the poor enemy AI and the effectiveness of ranged combat.

Now I'm playing a Huge map with Victoria (England). I tried something different this time and put Abundant resources on and... holy shit, what a difference it has made. In many of my past games, I've had issues with the AI either not expanding enough or not upgrading units. Both, ultimately, are tied to amenities, I think. I'd see the civs that weren't expanding had even built settlers but just weren't moving them. However, with abundant resources, it's a fucking free for all on land. Since it's a huge map, there's a lot to explore and there's been multiple times I thought I found the start of a civ's territory but realized it was just a satellite outpost of cities. It's made thing so much more fun. And, they even seem to be upgrading their units! It's making this Immortal game an interesting challenge, though I did luck out with an excellent starting area.

Can you explain a little bit about the selling exploit?

Also, can someone explain to whats the optimal way for overlapping industrial districts?

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
You can sell units for half of their production cost (1 cog = 0.5 coin). There is government policy that decreases mounted unit production by 100% making horse man basically 1 cog = 1 coin. Scythia gets 2 units when producing light horse units, so they can sell both horsesman and make it 1 cog = 2 coins. So, you basically double production of your civ by churning out Horseman, selling them and buying whatever you really want to produce.

A fully maxed industrial district benefits every city within 6 tiles.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
You can sell units for half of their production cost (1 cog = 0.5 coin). There is government policy that decreases mounted unit production by 100% making horse man basically 1 cog = 1 coin. Scythia gets 2 units when producing light horse units, so they can sell both horsesman and make it 1 cog = 2 coins. So, you basically double production of your civ by churning out Horseman, selling them and buying whatever you really want to produce.

so if i build 6 cities in a circle that has a radius of 5 tiles, and have the capital in the middle, am i going to get the stacking benefits from all 6 of the cities in the capital? and how would that benefit be calculated?

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
As I understand it, as long as thenl IZ is within 6 tiles, the city gets the bonus. I think the bonus comes only from the last two IZ upgrades and I am not sure if it is a flat bonus or a per citizen bonus.

DickTrickle

so if i build 6 cities in a circle that has a radius of 5 tiles, and have the capital in the middle, am i going to get the stacking benefits from all 6 of the cities in the capital? and how would that benefit be calculated?

The tile length is from the IZ to the city center of the other cities. The extra production only comes from the factory and power plant buildings and it's a flat bonus.

There's a great engineer that adds +2 production to all factories so I always try to get that one.

The Toronto CS extends the bonus to 9 tiles so it's a great one to be Suzerain of if you're able.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
so whats the optimal placement of the cities looks like to maximize IZ bonus overlaps?

seems to be like it would be a hexagon shaped hub and spoke arrangement, spaced out about 5-6 tiles apart. with the capital in the center, something like this??

220px-Regular_polygon_6_annotated.svg.png

DickTrickle

so whats the optimal placement of the cities looks like to maximize IZ bonus overlaps?

seems to be like it would be a hexagon shaped hub and spoke arrangement, spaced out about 5-6 tiles apart. with the capital in the center, something like this??

View attachment 96785

Yeah, that would be a good arrangement. As far as optimal, it depends on what your goals are.

If you squish the cities in further, you can actually even more IZ overlap. For example, in your spoke arrangement, if your outer cities are only 3-4 tiles from the main city center, there's usually room to put in cities in between the spokes but 4-6 spaces from the main city center. With swapping tiles and careful placement of the IZ, you can get all of those IZs to hit the city center (and obviously more overlap with each other). The drawback, of course, is that you're putting bigger caps on your city growth because of less farms. That also means less districts per city. However, if you specialize some cities, you can probably get all the districts you'd want (most cities should at least be able to get IZ/CH and then one other). A lot of this will depends on terrain too, of course. I've actually done this before and managed to get 10 IZs hitting my capital (had some mountain ranges that messed with things).

DickTrickle

And to add to this, when corps and armies become available, this breaks even further. For some reason, it multiplies the gold value instead of just adding. So, late game, I was making tank armies in 4 turns and selling them for 20K+ gold (at that point my victory was a foregone conclusion and I just wanted to hasten the end).

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
DickTrickle DickTrickle what difficulty you playing most your games on? I find emperor is just too pants on head retarded to have any fun still so i'm sticking with king. I kinda wish you could change in the middle of the game, wouldn't mind starting on king and bumping to emperor after mid game.

DickTrickle

DickTrickle DickTrickle what difficulty you playing most your games on? I find emperor is just too pants on head retarded to have any fun still so i'm sticking with king. I kinda wish you could change in the middle of the game, wouldn't mind starting on king and bumping to emperor after mid game.

I've been playing on Immortal but I did make a small mod -- I'm only letting the AI have one extra settler instead of the two they'd usually get on Immortal. All the yield bonuses are the same, though.

It is kind of retarded, though, especially depending on your spawn. That can make such a huge difference. One game I had a double horse barb spawn on me and I was fucked in less than 50 turns.

One thing I've found to help a lot is to war very early in the game. Skip monuments, granaries, districts and just build archers and some warriors for the first little while (civs like Sumeria, Aztec, and Scythia are really great for this early rush). In an ideal world, you could just take some city states whose bonuses won't matter to you (for example, playing for either Science/Domination the culture CSes are generally worthless to me). Getting an early city or stealing a settler has massive ramifications for the entire game to the point where if I don't start that close to a CS or civ, the game is harder, not easier. I've always been a more peaceful player but Civ6 really forces me to land grab earlier if I want to compete later on. If you don't want to do that kind of thing, I think staying on King makes sense, or maybe removing the settler bonus on Emperor (I can tell you how if you want to do that).

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I've been playing on Immortal but I did make a small mod -- I'm only letting the AI have one extra settler instead of the two they'd usually get on Immortal. All the yield bonuses are the same, though.

It is kind of retarded, though, especially depending on your spawn. That can make such a huge difference. One game I had a double horse barb spawn on me and I was fucked in less than 50 turns.

One thing I've found to help a lot is to war very early in the game. Skip monuments, granaries, districts and just build archers and some warriors for the first little while. In an ideal world, you could just take some city states whose bonuses won't matter to you (for example, playing for either Science/Domination the culture CSes are generally worthless to me). Getting an early city or stealing a settler has massive ramifications for the entire game to the point where if I don't start that close to a CS or civ, the game is harder, not easier. I've always been a more peaceful player but Civ6 really forces me to land grab earlier if I want to compete later on. If you don't want to do that kind of thing, I think staying on King makes sense, or maybe removing the settler bonus on Emperor (I can tell you how if you want to do that).

You got big balls. How do you deal with the unit spam / religion?

DickTrickle

You got big balls. How do you deal with the unit spam / religion?

I think you'll find that if you can get the early lead/equality by taking cities, and keep your army in the middle rankings, you won't have much trouble with competing civs militarily. And when you do, it's all about the archer line behind some melee and playing defensive. I usually have more archer units than other units combined. When a war begin, I turtle up -- whether I start the war or not. That could be in my city areas or just in a good defensive posture outside it. You just have to let them come to you the first 10-15 turns. You should be able to whittle them down this way. Trying to go on the offensive early is a recipe for getting flanked and fucked since none of your units, especially melee, will be fortified.

Also, defensively, walls are super important, so don't skimp on them. In new cities, I usually build them first unless it doesn't have fresh water (then it's granary to walls).

As for religion, that's a little more annoying. It's also one reason I play on Immortal instead of Deity -- with some hard work I can almost always get a religion in Immortal but rarely in Deity. If you get your religion you should spent your first apostle on starting an inquisition then make an inquisitor and park it in your holy city. That way, no matter what happens, you'll be able to reclaim your holy city at any time. From there, it's about making apostles and making sure to save the ones that have +20 religious combat. They will completely destroy other apostles. If you get overwhelmed and you don't have enough, park them inside cities, wait for the enemy apostles to spread/leave, then bring them out and get your inquisitors working. Also remember that the holy site and adjacent tiles heal apostles by a lot, so keeping them around there is a big help -- the healing is something like 30-40 each turn so if the enemy is near it's a great spot to let the enemy commit suicide. I have found that I can usually get by with just 3-5 apostles in my territory if I manage them right. Early on, before you have enough faith to get that many, you just have to wait them out and pick your battles, always making sure to keep an inquisitor around to reset the holy city.

I rarely get a great religion because of AI bonuses and choosing inquisition first, but that's not really the point. It's about making sure that the AI can't get a religious victory, which is a much bigger deal the smaller and less watery the map. Most games, I only have 1 or 2 holy sites and have very little trouble with AI religion spam, if that gives you any indication of it not being about making apostles but using them the right way.

There's also a city state (Yerevan, maybe) that lets you pick your apostle upgrades. So, you can make all your guys have the +20 bonus and they'll crush apostles for 50-70 damage while losing only 15-25.

• 1Like

DickTrickle

And to add a little more, when it comes to upgrading your religion, I try to be very pragmatic and focus on 1) keeping my religion in my cities and 2) killing enemy apostles. So, the 30% discount, no loss of religious for losing theological combat, and removal of terrain penalties for apostles are really helpful for those aims. It doesn't make you a religion that fun but it's effective.

Additionally, if you do something like the city clustering I mentioned to Araysar, winning your initial theological combats is extremely important. It's better to run away and hide in a city and let the apostle convert than to lose even one match. For example, in my current game with Monty, I just defeated an apostle by my capital and I saw at least 8 popups of the -250 them/+250 me. So not only did I kill their apostle I got my civilization 2K religious points while wiping out 2K of theirs. As you can see, that's why it doesn't really matter if they spread belief a few times, as long as you can find a way to kill some in your territory.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

DickTrickle

An example of how crazy the IZ overlap can get, from the last turn of my recent game. And keep in mind, this isn't exactly optimal. Two of the cities were city states and some of the placement was to get resources in the initial eight but the final numbers really reflect the power it can have. My capital is getting production from 11 factories and power plants. My other cities have between 4-8.

One other nice thing about religion is it seems the AI places no value on the belief that gives you 1% production for each believer even though I think it's incredibly powerful. As you can see, I'm getting 21% there.

203aea6d-5cd3-4a2e-8546-9438ecb8fa4b
203aea6d-5cd3-4a2e-8546-9438ecb8fa4b
gUY3d1d.jpg

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ruhr valley - do you think it's broken?

I don't see the +30% on the stats, and it doesn't seem to be applied when checking between turns