Civilization VI

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Real Earth Map: YnAMP - Yet (not) Another Maps Pack for Civ6

Comes with some warnings...

IMPORTANT :Alpha means "need to be tested", do not use this mod for a serious game before a good number of people have tested it.

WARNING : The giant map is already way above the size of the huge map, it may or may not load on your PC (and will take some time to do so), the Ludicrous map is the max map size before the game refuse to load, and will take more than 4-5 minutes to load (or crash). I'd suggest to lower the textures size in the video option, the game use almost all the 6GB of VRAM of my GPU.

I'm not releasing this mod blindly, the Ludicrous size has been tested on a 500 turns game in autoplay with 32 civs without crash on my computer (CPU : i7 4770K, RAM: 16GB, GPU : GTX 980 ti), but I have no idea of the minimal configuration for this.

Some data from this test (continent, standard time):
- total time to reach turn 240 : 03h30, 1 turn takes ~2mn at this point
- total time to reach turn 475 : 14h30, 1 turn takes ~4mn at this point

known bug: Culturally Linked Location fail when too many Civilization are placed (still work at ~30)

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
You can also pop an inquisitor outside your holy city and other religions will leave it alone.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
You can also pop an inquisitor outside your holy city and other religions will leave it alone.

in civ 5??? that information could have been useful in the 1600 hours i logged in it

radditsu

in civ 5??? that information could have been useful in the 1600 hours i logged in it

Yup. They still put pressure on our outside cities but they will bypass your holy city so you can never get Allau Ackbared by a great prophet.

There are a million little tricks you read when you go hard on diety.

Like Alexander never loses city state rep when you stick a military unit next to their city. Even if they are not your ally. You can just stick garbage army units around city states you don't want taken by like ghengis Kahn.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Yeah, if you've been able to get the apostles out, sticking an inquisitor around is your best bet. It's a shame the AI doesn't seem to do that. To be honest, I'm not sure I've even seen an AI inquisitor yet.

On an unrelated note, after realizing the diplomacy stuff was per turn, I put a concerted focus into building up an army to avoid early war and to getting on the good side of civs ASAP and it's actually worked out. I'm midway through a game now where I'm actually allied with four other civs, even though they've been fighting each other.

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
I've always been a fan of the RTS style of games but have wanted to delve into the 4X realm for quite some time now. I feel I'm so far behind the curve that I find it a bit daunting to try and get into it at this point. Is this something I can get into that offers enough hand holding to get me going and then allows me to take the training wheels off or are there better alternatives out there?

Just as a side note, I'm a fan of sci-fi and feel that I would probably have more fun with something of that flavor but am definitely willing to give something like this a chance.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It has a turtoial version that allows you to play and covers the game pretty well.

DickTrickle

I've always been a fan of the RTS style of games but have wanted to delve into the 4X realm for quite some time now. I feel I'm so far behind the curve that I find it a bit daunting to try and get into it at this point. Is this something I can get into that offers enough hand holding to get me going and then allows me to take the training wheels off or are there better alternatives out there?

Just as a side note, I'm a fan of sci-fi and feel that I would probably have more fun with something of that flavor but am definitely willing to give something like this a chance.

As Convo said, the tutorial explains things pretty decently. Also, if you start at the lowest difficulty and move your way up as you win you should be able to adjust over time.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>

if you like 4x and sci-fi, try Master of Orion 2 - its an old all-time classic, really easy get into and its been out for so long that you can probably find it as a free download or buy it for $2. if you want something more modern, "Stellaris" came out in may and that's the best sci-fi 4x game to come out in many years

as far as civ 6 - the game is pretty complex, but like others said, the tutorial does a good job to get you through easy difficulty games, and by then you should be figuring it out pretty well

nisser

Trakanon Raider
Can someone explain how religion converting goes. I made my custom religion and at some point one of my citys got covert to another religion. It basically has 0/7 followers (i.e. 7 followers for the other religion). I've been trying to convert them back to my religion but each time I use a missionary it just says +200 to OTHER RELIGION. I've also tried "removing heresy" with an inquisitor but it does nothing. How do I conver this city back?

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
when you buy a missionary/inquisitor they are for the dominant religion of that city, so you are doing your enemies work for you.

DickTrickle

I've played this game for about 85-90 hours so far (106 on Steam but some of that was idling) and I think it's probably time to wait for a patch (still worth the money I paid for it). I'm speaking from having played about 8-9 games each with a different leader.

The only difficulty in the game, imo, is the early game, the first 20% of your turns. If you can survive that early AI rush and diplomacy hits and still get three cities out close to each other, it's game over. The overlap bonus for industrial zones is such a strong play, when it comes to early mid game I already know I've won and that I'll be able to win in any way I choose (barring a lack of religion). In my last game I decided to see how badly I could break the system and I spammed cities around my two main ones such that all the industrial zones could overlap. Even though many of those cities were small since they only had half the maximum tiles, they all still produced a lot of hammers. This is similar to how it was so important in Civ5 to max your science as fast as possible.

That early game importance also makes your start and neighbor adjacency such a huge factor in how the game will go, more than past civs, imo. I think one thing they could do to balance starts a bit is to make builders and settlers be bought with food output in some way (kind of like settlers in Civ5). Right now, hammers rule all so a flat, grassy start is disproportionately punished.

The AI is absolutely horrible at using districts and builders. At the 2/3 mark of the game, I invaded multiple capitals in my last game to find half of the tiles without any improvement. Districts are built seemingly without regard for synergy or adjacency bonuses. If the AI isn't doing the overlap industrial zone bonuses they're going to be slow producing even with their huge bonuses. That also means they're not upgrading their units (Washington had multiple corps and armies of two era old units). I also think they stop trying to expand when they're having amenity issues -- still plenty of very good land goes unsettled throughout all my games, even though there's value in having low pop cities. All of them even had settler units built, they just didn't make a city, so that's why I think that. I don't think they actually get more amenities in the difficulty level boosts, which seems like an oversight.

Another thing that bugs me is that there's no real need to put much effort into science or culture. With hardly any campuses or theaters, I maintained parity with the AI (partly because instead of beelining I make an effort to get all the relevant boosts). If I had tried to push science or culture, I would have fallen way too far behind in production so that was never a worthwhile tradeoff. Additionally, in my last few games, I've had to purposely avoid a culture victory because I wanted a different one. I'd sell off my works of art/relics to lower my tourism. I feel like you should have to put a bit more effort into trying for a victory condition than that.

Good game but now that I've cracked it, it's hard not to see most game as quickly determined. I'm sure it will only get better with time, as all Civ game do, so it has a good start and I definitely enjoy the districts. They just need to get the AI to figure it out too.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Can someone explain how religion converting goes. I made my custom religion and at some point one of my citys got covert to another religion. It basically has 0/7 followers (i.e. 7 followers for the other religion). I've been trying to convert them back to my religion but each time I use a missionary it just says +200 to OTHER RELIGION. I've also tried "removing heresy" with an inquisitor but it does nothing. How do I conver this city back?

from what I can tell you can't. Once a religion no longer has a single city left it's gone unless you already had a religious unit made. I always try to have a missionary or apostle tucked away somewhere to protect against this.

DickTrickle

You know, I always thought this forum had its fair share of autistic motherfuckers, but reading CivFanatics is like ground zero for autism. Jesus Christ.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
I always liked loading up the game of the week/month whatever to see how I stacked up against the aspies at CivFanatics. The after action reports on those games were also a great tool for tweaking and improving your own play.

radditsu

I always liked loading up the game of the week/month whatever to see how I stacked up against the aspies at CivFanatics. The after action reports on those games were also a great tool for tweaking and improving your own play.

Civ 5 Civilizations & Leaders

Carl was a really good source of info as well. There is so much play variance that build strategies are a bit silly in civ5 but targets and civ breakdowns are a great resource. I need to pick up Civ6 but for the life of me I do not have the time and can't afford the sleep deprivation.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Ya I'm in no big hurry either. It sounds like it's not the usual crash fest on release that Civ 4 and 5 were but it does sound like some quality of life tweaks need to happen. Plus when I watch streams it just doesn't seem drastically different from it's predecessor in the same ways that 4 and 5 were.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It actually is a million times better than Civ 5. It's just a lot of minor things, but no super glaring issues anymore.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I bit the bullet and got the game.

I feel like I'm terrible and I really don't understand the district stuff.