Civilization VI

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Civ is one of my favorite series, got thousands of hours in them. These graphics are cancer - fuck what mobile gaming did to real games. Fuck it in the ass. Fuck.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Have said they need to remove workers since civ 3. They're terrible. I suspect builders will also be terrible though. Non-military entities of any kind don't deserve a place as controllable map units on the same map as military units, including settlers. Maybe have two unit overlays that don't interact, but that seems like a stark move away from simplicity without sufficient need. You'd have to massively amp up the gameplay elements of the civilian unit pool, perhaps by making population and domestic politics a much more interactive game element.

Civ needs plateaus/basins (more realistic world modeling in general), more limitation to and benefit from fresh water for city development (major rivers/tributaries/wells), division between constructing troops and improvements,macromanagement features for mid/late game, way more complex internal and external politics between a larger set of total civs (allow civil war, vassal, independence, autonomous territory, ethnic minorities, etc.), more organic development of civ bonuses akin to religions and policies (like spore), andmacromanagement features for mid/late game.

Graphics are fine. High contrast is good, and with the way improvements are tile based now, it makes the map understandable at a glance. There will 100%, without a doubt, be mods that focus on grittier more satellite-esque graphic overhauls. Simple and vibrant is where a lot of games are trending and Civ has no edgy need to pursue something distinct from that. Civ and Sid Meier's games in general have always been about this kind of classic/simple style, they're just taking it further along the same road.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
From UI/graphics looks like it's supposed to be on iOS or Android. :/
Its intentional to get it running on more machines. CIV5 is suprisingly beefy in the graphics dept, especially late in the game when there are a ton of shit on screen. I am sure there will be a mod or a texture pack to be a DLC.

I really dont mind, at first thought I was thinking this would be an android/ios game as well. However I am not entirely convinced it would be a bad thing. CIV5 plays really well on a tablet, and a AAA game that can be taken around on a tablet is really rare. If they could find a good way to deliver mods to an android port it would be the best android game that exists.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I think the problem with the series is the problem with gaming in general. We've reach a divisive point between people who want to sit down in front of their computers and play a game that looks as good or better than consoles and has more depth, and people who see the value in expanding the mobile market with titles that are deeper than current offerings even if they aren't as deep as what's expected from a sit-down-and-play-a-PC-game.

I don't think either direction is necessarily bad. If they're going fully in the mobile direction, then I hope they do it well. The problem is if CIV 6 feels like another 'transitional' game the way CIV 5 did, that I think most people agree was half baked, trying to be the best of both a sit-down PC game and a better-than-other-shit mobile game. Trying to be the best of two worlds rarely works out well, and my fear is they're going to try to tell me CIV 6 is a great PC game, and if it isn't, which I doubt it will be if they're trying to also make it a great mobile game, people gonna be disappointed.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
division between constructing troops and improvements
A thousand times this. It's like all the Stonemasons in civ are also Drill Sergeants, so they have to choose between building shit or training troops. Fuckin Defias Gang shit going on.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sulrn

Deuces
Its intentional to get it running on more machines. CIV5 is suprisingly beefy in the graphics dept, especially late in the game when there are a ton of shit on screen. I am sure there will be a mod or a texture pack to be a DLC.

I really dont mind, at first thought I was thinking this would be an android/ios game as well. However I am not entirely convinced it would be a bad thing. CIV5 plays really well on a tablet, and a AAA game that can be taken around on a tablet is really rare. If they could find a good way to deliver mods to an android port it would be the best android game that exists.
I don't mind the look either, but my experience with Civ is that it hasn't exactly been innovative in any regard for quite a while. Focusing on expansion to a larger market seems silly if you're only barely keeping your current market entertained. Only reason I bought Civ5 was because I was desperate for a strategy fix while waiting on Shogun 2:TW and enjoyed Civ 3 (and had skipped Civ 4) back in the day, but only played 5 long enough to realize 5(base) was actually pretty bland and boring and not worth the time it took to actually meet any of the victory conditions and went back to HoI3/Medieval 2:TW.

• 1Like

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Honestly, most fun I've had in Civ 5 was playing with the unofficial "more war" mod (basically just +4 to declare war chance for all leaders) and with 20 enemies on a small sized map.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have been impressed with the preview videos they are releasing. I still will resist the pre-order, day 1 purchase... but if it doesn't bomb in the reviews, I am sure it will be a first week purchase.

radditsu

I don't mind the look either, but my experience with Civ is that it hasn't exactly been innovative in any regard for quite a while. Focusing on expansion to a larger market seems silly if you're only barely keeping your current market entertained. Only reason I bought Civ5 was because I was desperate for a strategy fix while waiting on Shogun 2:TW and enjoyed Civ 3 (and had skipped Civ 4) back in the day, but only played 5 long enough to realize 5(base) was actually pretty bland and boring and not worth the time it took to actually meet any of the victory conditions and went back to HoI3/Medieval 2:TW.
You should try it with all the expansions, it has a ton of things to do. The problem with the game is that food and science are the only REAL way to win. Because it benefits you so much in every other facet of the game. The changes to the tiles, the faith production and stuff are so much more fun from base. AI is still dumb as hell in war.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
"Barely keeping your current market entertained" is a little silly when Civ 5 has been consistently top 10 on the Steam active player #s lists. Not by genre, but by "is a video game."

While I prefer Civ4, Firaxis is certainly keeping their market more than just barely entertained
smile.png

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
"Barely keeping your current market entertained" is a little silly when Civ 5 has been consistently top 10 on the Steam active player #s lists. Not by genre, but by "is a video game."

While I prefer Civ4, Firaxis is certainly keeping their market more than just barely entertained
smile.png
Obligatory response pointing out that popularly isn't always an indicator of quality. There may even be an argument made that a deep, strategy games often have an inversely proportional relationship with quality and popularity as many see it.

radditsu

Its, not the BEST game in the world, but with my limited free time in my life it is my GO TO game. Civ 5 Complete is a QUALITY game. If it's not your cup of tea that's fine. The only thing about Civ4 i hate is stack of doom war. I hate stack of doom war. But to not play Civ 5 in its current state, and railing on it from the state it was in 5 years ago doesn't exactly make me trust your opinion on it. Video games are in a constant state of flux now, things are patched to get better/worse/ehh okay. If you do not have an open mind about them then you probably will not enjoy anything modern.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Civ5 is not the kind of franchise killing cancer that Moo3 was for its franchise, but I certainly will not ever get back into Civ again after that game. All the graphical tweaks and balance adjustments in the world are meaningless when the AI has too settings, derp and megacheater. The AI peaked in Civ3, was sort of ok in Civ4, and has been laughably bad ever since.

Plus, I am too old and easily bored to micro at the level they want you to anymore. After working all day at the office, I really do not want to play Spreadsheet the Game anymore. Civ Rev 2 on tablets is enough to scratch my 4x itch, until a real successor to Moo comes along.

radditsu

Civ5 is not the kind of franchise killing cancer that Moo3 was for its franchise, but I certainly will not ever get back into Civ again after that game. All the graphical tweaks and balance adjustments in the world are meaningless when the AI has too settings, derp and megacheater. The AI peaked in Civ3, was sort of ok in Civ4, and has been laughably bad ever since.

Plus, I am too old and easily bored to micro at the level they want you to anymore. After working all day at the office, I really do not want to play Spreadsheet the Game anymore. Civ Rev 2 on tablets is enough to scratch my 4x itch, until a real successor to Moo comes along.
Master of Orion on Steam

Maybe this will be good?

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
I'm pessimistic about Civ VI itself, but that makes it a little more tempting to pre-order... damn. Must resist.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
With Civ the correct course of action is not only to never pre-order, but don't buy it until it's on steam sale a year later with the expansion bundled with it, you know, the expansion that will actually finish the game.

• 1Solidarity

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
Eh, I pre-ordered 4 and never regretted it. Even if things are buggy / not fleshed, it can be fun to F around before all the mechanics are balanced. I wasn't going to pre-order VI because I'm not a big fan of V, just saying the collector's edition makes it a little more tempting as a fan of the series since $70 at Amazon is basically the same as you're going to pay for the digital editions anyways. I haven't even played BE since I've heard such bad things, so due to the negative trend in releases by these guys right now I'm going to stick to not pre-ordering I think.