Civilization VI

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!
announced, trailer and some screenshots here:Civilization | Homepage

Sid Meier's Civilization VI, set to launch on PC on October 21, 2016, offers new ways to interact with your world, expand your empire across the map, advance your culture and compete against history's greatest leaders to build a civilization that will truly stand the test of time. Your story begins later this year!

Sid Meier's Civilization VI includes:

- EXPANSIVE EMPIRES: See the marvels of your empire spread across the map like never before. Each city spans multiple tiles so you can custom build your cities to take full advantage of the local terrain.

- ACTIVE RESEARCH: Unlock boosts that speed your civilization's progress through history. To advance more quickly, use your units to actively explore, develop your environment, and discover new cultures.

- DYNAMIC DIPLOMACY: Interactions with other civilizations change over the course of the game, from primitive first interactions where conflict is a fact of life, to late game alliances and negotiations.

- COMBINED ARMS: Expanding on the "one unit per tile" design, support units can now be embedded with other units, like anti-tank support with infantry, or a warrior with settlers. Similar units can also be combined to form powerful "Corps" units.

- ENHANCED MULTIPLAYER: In addition to traditional multiplayer modes, cooperate and compete with your friends in a wide variety of situations all designed to be easily completed in a single session.
- A CIV FOR ALL PLAYERS: Civilization VI provides veteran players new ways to build and tune their civilization for the greatest chance of success. New tutorial systems are designed to introduce new players to the underlying concepts of Civilization so they can easily get started on a path to victory.
another writeup that goes a bit deeper:Sid Meiers Civilization VI debuts this fall with a new take on cities | GamesBeat | Games | by Dean Takahashi

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Can't wait. Mostly can't wait until it gets an Expansion that turns it into a great game a year or two from now, since that appears to be the status quo for the product line.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
The most interest part will be seeing how they fuck it up this time.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Not much wrong after Gods, and nothing wrong after Brave New World. Base Civ 5 was... a game.

Lemmiwinks_sl

shitlord
Fair enough, but I wouldnt call that "fucking it up", more like needing more content. Thats been the deal for all the civ games IIRC. Its not like it was shipped an unplayable mess.

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
There's always a lot of complaints when it comes to Civ games that I've never shared.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Can't wait. Mostly can't wait until it gets an Expansion that turns it into a great game a year or two from now, since that appears to be the status quo for the product line.
They did not turn BE into a great game with rising tide, though.

I'm very cautious. This might just be a huge stinker

The problem with Civ 5 is a lack of pacing, and the AI can't deal with 1 unit per tile so the higher difficulties just provide the AI with insane starting bonuses and insane production bonuses, yet once you figure out 1 UPT, you can demolish 30 unit armies with 4-5 units.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Looking forward to it but I get the feeling it'll just follow the pattern of previous Civ's where it only becomes very good after the last expansion. I don't acknowledge BE even exists.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
They did not turn BE into a great game with rising tide, though.

I'm very cautious. This might just be a huge stinker

The problem with Civ 5 is a lack of pacing, and the AI can't deal with 1 unit per tile so the higher difficulties just provide the AI with insane starting bonuses and insane production bonuses, yet once you figure out 1 UPT, you can demolish 30 unit armies with 4-5 units.
This. Just don't expect to get the meaningful wonders, and know that natural barriers are your friend. Easy peasy.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I was kind of hoping for a eugenics angle piggy backing on CK's cult following. I know that doesn't really fit into Civ's style, though.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Yep, this was the issue--and it's why I still play Civ 4, with stacks of doom the AI still has a shot. Once you learn the tricks of the combat system in Civ 5, a little planning and you really shouldn't lose. If you play on diplomacy and other in other ways, the games systems are fun and pretty engaging, but I always play for the conflict aspects--and Civ 5 just sucked with that.

Honestly though, the biggest issue with Civ, and really,4x/Grand Strategy in general is the AI....At this point I feel like every game that comes out is essentially tweeking small systems to be fun for a bit, but the Achilles heel always ruins the game in the end--the AI just sucks. Either it's only difficult at the start because it has insane bonuses, and it falls off late game anyway once the player gets late game options and they can't possibly program for the billions of strategies the player can formulate without early game bottle necks OR it's just easy the whole way through.

Need that GO AI to become standard shit in all games within the next 20 years.

iannis

Musty Nester
Civ5 was made for standard map, standard game pace.

They also suffered a lot because I'm not sure what they did about their engine, but it was not up to the quality of civ2-3-4 engines. That Steam workshop stuff was horrible. It gave me a vibe like 90's software. If the internet had been a thing in the mid 90's, all the games would have run like civ5. I don't think they wrote it in house, I think they licensed one. Civ5 was ok once you modded it, but the mapgen was never "quite right". And unfortunately they drove away the bulk of the modding community. Which is kind of ironic because I believe firaxis hired a lot of guys off CivFanatics for Civ5.

It wasn't the worst civ ever, civ3 is still plenty damn bad -- but civ5 was mediocre. And then BE was just civ5 reskinned which was really disappointing.

Civ6? We'll see. I want to believe.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Who knows, maybe they'll put some fucking work into the netcode and make it playable over the internet, which is a huge fucking pain for both 5 and BE due to the extreme long turn times where just nothing happens.

I would actually buy this if I could have quick and good matches vs human players.

As it is, original release is a sure torrent for me. Too disappointed in BE.

Rime

<Donor>
Beyond Earth burned me badly.

I will not be picking this up on release. I will do the 'smart' thing and wait until the DLC cycle for it is nearly done and the game is complete/polished.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Why does this look like an iOS port?

ss_21b30494060571f79750edaaff8bb6d409af2e8c.jpg