Civilization VI

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
District thing is pretty good. Being able to build a harbor and therefore ships in a city that is not directly at the shore is very nice.

Builders replacing workers feels just great. Micromanaging workers constantly was pretty boring by Medieval era, but you couldn't automate them. Instant improvement is really good.

It also feels easier to make money now. In BNW, money meant nothing until the mid-late game when you actually started getting enough gpt to buy stuff.

Also nice that you can specialize cities again. A properly placed industrial district is a real production powerhouse, even at low population. BNW and BE simply did not allow for this with the exception of Titanium mines.

And getting rid of that global happiness bullshit is just great.

Oh and finally world wonders are good again. I grew so fucking tired of 9 out of 10 BE wonders being useless.

The only restriction to ICS that I can see is that you absolutely want to buy a trader in the new city and send that to the capital, because that really kickstarts city developement.

Also the new policy game is a huge step up over BNW and BE. Not only are they much better than that BNW stuff, the constant switching and government thing (also a great new feature) add a whole new layer.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Dan Carlin has predicted (likely correct) that 500 or 1000 years from now, Hitler will be looked upon in a more forgiving light. His atrocities will be balanced with his accomplishments and he will get an equal share of praise and blame... but for now, there are still people alive that survived his death-camps and you have millions of living relatives of people extinguished from this life in some of the most brutal ways possible. The shame of Germany is so great, that there are laws punishable by up to 3 years in prison for the use of Nazi symbols, Hitler, and gestures such as "Heil Hitler". This shit is no joke.

Ghengis Khan is studied with amazement that he was able to take over most of the known world with nomadic horse riders. Oh yeah, and he wiped out a 1/3 of the worlds population doing it... yeah that is pretty bad too... but none of us personally know anyone effected by his conquest. So, who cares.

The passage of time and removing emotion, anger, and fervor out of studying history has a profound effect on how we view these people that shaped the world.

Yeah Listening to the unimaginable scale of Murder and Rape in that podcast series just reinforces the fact that our society has to make up shit to be mad about. There were actual death squads who's only real advantage was that they LIVED on horseback for their entire lives. They barely could siege until VERY late in the show.

• 1Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler

Spend half as much, get a game twice as good.

Good parachute. Have you played Civ6 or are you basing that twice as good on previous games?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Mj7MbRfDT8

Just as an example of one "WTF?", in the last video, the developer explained to me that when an AI unit attacks a city, it doesn't matter that I have an army that outnumbers and out-stats the enemy attacker, that a single one on one unit battle takes place at the gate and if the randomly selected unit of mine loses, my entire army dies and I lose the city...
so 40 men, can take 10,0000 and will, completely obliterating your army and your game. You can't do anything about it, because you have no control over combat, you cannot retreat because a single man can block your army of 10,000 from moving. It leaves the player no options.

I don't know... besides, it's Early Access. And Civ6 actually seems a lot more fully baked than the EA-like state of Civ5's release.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Something else I've noticed in my game is that it doesn't seem like the AI is doing ICS. I'm at turn 250 something and there's at least full city size portions of land that haven't been nabbed yet, even though there are civs pretty near by.

I did read somewhere that a penalty to more cities is that it requires a greater number of amenities to grow. I haven't been able to verify this yet, though. If that's the case, I think it's an interesting compromise because negative amenity is not the outright awful penalty that Civ5 had for negative happiness (and it seems amenities generally allow more leeway).

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I'm basing it on the fact that Civ series has sucked since 3 and Oriental Empires, even with its quirks, is already more entertaining than any Civ I've ever played.

It is Civilization, for the most part.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I'm not seeing a penalty for going super wide, am I missing something. Pretty annoying since the way I like playing most is 3/4 cities (tall).

Other then that loving it so far, couple steps back with the UI but hopefully they'll get that squared. I'd like to punch the guy in the face who thought 1 second to wait for tile info to pop up was a good idea.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
i've never done multiplayer on civ, seems loco. Anyone on forum doing it?

I tried it a couple times with some friends on civ v, you get like 2 hours in and not even a quarter of the way through the game, gotta be pretty hard core to attempt. We never made it past halfway.

nicksw

Molten Core Raider
I've only played two hours or so but I think the UI is too simplified? Can't find information about when/how fast my city's territory will grow anywhere. Also missing is the breakdown of production and various bonuses that were in Civ5, there is only detailed info for food, but not for production?
Maybe all that info is buried somewhere and I just need to find it, but Im not a fan of the UI so far. Got a whole weekend to play will see if I like it more by then.

• 1Solidarity

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I wonder why I am unfriendly with everyone.

I figured out why. First grade math is too hard for this game

J96yGM6.png

Pyratec

Golden Knight of the Realm
Spices are the salt of Civ 6. Just started a new game and there is a spice tile with woods inside the radius of my city, unimproved it has 4 food 1 production. Sick tile.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
My post directly above yours is a perfect example of how polished the game is so far.

That doesn't make it less fun!

I spent about 6 hours playing last night. I don't regret purchasing it because i was lusting for a strategy after playing overwatch only. I think it seems better than civ5, but I never get really in depth.

Last edited: