Clarkson's Farm

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
Just finished watching the season, really entertaining along with Kaleb filling in the sidekick role, and it even managed to get some of Clarkson's insane hijinks in there. But man, running that farm looked tough with the bad weather and farming crop for the year, and then covid. Good to hear there will be a season 2.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Slowly watched season 2 over the last week. It's as good as season one; this time, with cows.

I'm starting to understand about half of what Gerald is saying, but they often make it harder by cutting up half of it in editing. So it's difficult to get context for a lot of local lingo.

I assume it's run/directed/produced by people he knew from Top Gear/Grand Tour. That often makes me wonder how much is scripted vs spontaneous. Not that it's a bad thing, as it was entertaining on the car shows.

There was one scene in the kitchen where it looks like he was trying to get something for the camera, and ended up getting a little too much.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Haha that kitchen scene was absolutely scripted and very... very dumb

bolok

Trakanon Raider
Basically binged the second season. Excellent all around. This season was aligned differently, I was kinda hoping to learn how he made out profit wise for this go. Still, jesus christ- if he wasn't independantly wealthy they would have been completely underwater. I had to look up his net worth. ~70mil apparently.

I kinda wish he had bankrolled the legal action against the council just as a fuck you.

Khane

Yea they clearly wanted people at home to be going "Jeremy what the fuck are you doing that's a mandolin!" And he fucked it all up by going way too hard in the paint with it.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Because of this show - and other British shows I've seen on YT - all I can gather about England is that its the worst place in the West to live. There's no freedom of any kind. Everything is policed/monitored/regulated into the ground, and 95% of the population are whining crybaby bitches taken to an absolutely insufferable level. Nothing there makes sense and they are strangling themselves in political nannying.

• 1Like

bolok

Trakanon Raider
Because of this show - and other British shows I've seen on YT - all I can gather about England is that its the worst place in the West to live. There's no freedom of any kind. Everything is policed/monitored/regulated into the ground, and 95% of the population are whining crybaby bitches taken to an absolutely insufferable level. Nothing there makes sense and they are strangling themselves in political nannying.
You're probably not wrong. But they've somewhat set back the clock with brexit. For better or worse. Now they just have self inflicted nightmares instead of EU nightmares. Consider it a test bed for it rolling out here.

Obviously it is amped up for dramatic effect on the show, but you'd be daft to think the US doesn't have an equivalent amount of beauracratic bullshit.

Khane

It's hard to tell what's real and what is scripted in this show. That town hall meeting where they were going to vote on the restaurant it seemed like more people were in favor of it than against and then when they actually voted the large majority of people voted against. It seemed like at least half of the people who voted against, originally spoke in favor but then voted against.

Who knows how much of that is done for dramatic effect to create a "challenge" for the "team" in later episodes.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Getting thrown into jail for posting an unpopular opinion is a thing there. UK has always been the sphincter of Europe, but their inability to run anything is going to lead them down a bad road.

4 of the 5 eyes have pretty much gone into full police state mode.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
I really enjoyed this season and found myself binging them. One thing I didn't need was to see cow poop in 4k.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Great series and season. Takeaways for me were the mind boggling red tape and environmental regulations that shoot down the supposed "help farmers help themselves" mentality that the government was supposed to have. Now, its obvious that the council has it in for Clarkson for being him, it's unlikely that anyone else would have had so many denials (which Charlie mentions too), but at the same time, if they did, it's also obvious how helpless it would make an independent farmer without independent wealth outside of the farm. However, the fact that the council also blocked several struggling farms getting an extra income just "because" is kind of mental.

The first season put a good spotlight on some struggles farming has and how big an impact it can have on their business, especially the weather. I think this series also put more focus on the things that people might not even think about are "problems". The insane over regulation and bureaucracy that has grown into our governments and the widespread effect they have. Rules and regulations for everything, so while it's nice for politicians to get their sound bites saying they encourage farmers to "diversify" that doesn't help at all when there is so much red tape that already struggling farmers would have a slim to no chance in doing any diversification or have any new ideas for their farms to make a profit.

This series hopefully shines a light on that which goes further up the chain.

The whole badger problem was crazy to me. Farmers not only losing their yield and produce, but actual risking their entire farms, and costing tax payers 150+ million per year.
Looking it up
"Are badgers endangered in the UK?

European badgers (Meles meles) are not an endangered species, but they are amongst the most legally protected wild animals in the UK, being shielded under the Protection of Badgers Act 1992, the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, and the Convention on the Conservation of European Wildlife and Natural Habitats."

• 1Like

Khane

I seem to remember them mentioning in the show that badgers aren't endangered and that the laws are antiquated and from a time when they were and should be revisited in today's reality.

But I might be making that up.

• 1Like

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Started watching it, s1e1 down. Something-something raining. And black beetles. Fun so far.

bolok

Trakanon Raider
That's what i remember from the dialog too. The TB = insta kill sounded nutso too. But it appears to be correct. What a bizarre thing.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Great series and season. Takeaways for me were the mind boggling red tape and environmental regulations that shoot down the supposed "help farmers help themselves" mentality that the government was supposed to have. Now, its obvious that the council has it in for Clarkson for being him, it's unlikely that anyone else would have had so many denials (which Charlie mentions too), but at the same time, if they did, it's also obvious how helpless it would make an independent farmer without independent wealth outside of the farm. However, the fact that the council also blocked several struggling farms getting an extra income just "because" is kind of mental.

The first season put a good spotlight on some struggles farming has and how big an impact it can have on their business, especially the weather. I think this series also put more focus on the things that people might not even think about are "problems". The insane over regulation and bureaucracy that has grown into our governments and the widespread effect they have. Rules and regulations for everything, so while it's nice for politicians to get their sound bites saying they encourage farmers to "diversify" that doesn't help at all when there is so much red tape that already struggling farmers would have a slim to no chance in doing any diversification or have any new ideas for their farms to make a profit.

This series hopefully shines a light on that which goes further up the chain.

The whole badger problem was crazy to me. Farmers not only losing their yield and produce, but actual risking their entire farms, and costing tax payers 150+ million per year.
Looking it up
"Are badgers endangered in the UK?

European badgers (Meles meles) are not an endangered species, but they are amongst the most legally protected wild animals in the UK, being shielded under the Protection of Badgers Act 1992, the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, and the Convention on the Conservation of European Wildlife and Natural Habitats."
Have to remember this is the same country that took its economy and shot it in the head behind the shed (brexit).