Cloud Atlas (2012)

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
3.00 star(s) Rating: 3.00/5 1 Votes
Title: Cloud Atlas

Tagline: Everything is Connected

Genre: Drama, Science Fiction

Director: Lilly Wachowski, Lana Wachowski, Tom Tykwer

Cast: Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, Jim Broadbent, Hugo Weaving, Jim Sturgess, Bae Doona, Ben Whishaw, Keith David, James D'Arcy, Zhou Xun, David Gyasi, Susan Sarandon, Hugh Grant, Robert Fyfe, Martin Wuttke, Zhu Zhu, Robin Morrissey, Brody Nicholas Lee, Amanda Walker, Raevan Lee Hanan, Götz Otto, Mya-Lecia Naylor, Niall Greig Fulton, Louis Dempsey, Martin Docherty, Alistair Petrie, Sylvestra Le Touzel, Andrew Havill, Shaun Lawton, Victor Solé

Release: 2012-10-26

Runtime: 172

Plot: A set of six nested stories spanning time between the 19th century and a distant post-apocalyptic future. Cloud Atlas explores how the actions and consequences of individual lives impact one another throughout the past, the present and the future. Action, mystery and romance weave through the story as one soul is shaped from a killer into a hero and a single act of kindness ripples across centuries to inspire a revolution in the distant future. Based on the award winning novel by David Mitchell. Directed by Tom Tykwer and the Wachowskis.

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
[CONTAINER][POSTER]
8VNiyIp67ZxhpNgdrwACW0jgvP2.jpg
[/POSTER][MOVIE]Title: Cloud Atlas (2012)

Genre: [GENRE]Drama[/GENRE], [GENRE]Science Fiction[/GENRE]

Director: [DIRECTOR]Lilly Wachowski[/DIRECTOR], [DIRECTOR]Lana Wachowski[/DIRECTOR], [DIRECTOR]Tom Tykwer[/DIRECTOR]

Cast: [ACTOR]Tom Hanks[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Halle Berry[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Jim Broadbent[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Hugo Weaving[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Jim Sturgess[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Bae Doona[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Ben Whishaw[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Keith David[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]James D'Arcy[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Zhou Xun[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]David Gyasi[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Susan Sarandon[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Hugh Grant[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Robert Fyfe[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Martin Wuttke[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Zhu Zhu[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Robin Morrissey[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Brody Nicholas Lee[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Amanda Walker[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Raevan Lee Hanan[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Götz Otto[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Mya-Lecia Naylor[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Niall Greig Fulton[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Louis Dempsey[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Martin Docherty[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Alistair Petrie[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Sylvestra Le Touzel[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Andrew Havill[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Shaun Lawton[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Victor Solé[/ACTOR]

Release Date: [RELEASE]2012-10-26[/RELEASE]

Runtime: [RUNTIME]172[/RUNTIME]

Plot: A set of six nested stories spanning time between the 19th century and a distant post-apocalyptic future. Cloud Atlas explores how the actions and consequences of individual lives impact one another throughout the past, the present and the future. Action, mystery and romance weave through the story as one soul is shaped from a killer into a hero and a single act of kindness ripples across centuries to inspire a revolution in the distant future. Based on the award winning novel by David Mitchell. Directed by Tom Tykwer and the Wachowskis.[/MOVIE][/CONTAINER]

I believe there was a thread on the two previous boards but couldn't find one here.

Anyway, I'm curious what people's thoughts on this were. The rip I had was english but with foreign menus, so I missed a few subtitles, but I'm guessing nothing major

To me it felt a bit chaotic and a bit of a mess until they started to try and tie together the point of some of the past/present/future stuff. It felt like knocking out a mini series in one night, but one that still had to rush itself. I'm not sure I agree with the choice in editing, I think they could've told a very similar story with very similar scenes in a clearer way.

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
8VNiyIp67ZxhpNgdrwACW0jgvP2.jpg

Title: Cloud Atlas

Genre: Drama, Science Fiction

Director: Lilly Wachowski, Lana Wachowski, Tom Tykwer

Cast: Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, Jim Broadbent, Hugo Weaving, Jim Sturgess, Bae Doona, Ben Whishaw, Keith David, James D'Arcy, Zhou Xun, David Gyasi, Susan Sarandon, Hugh Grant, Robert Fyfe, Martin Wuttke, Zhu Zhu, Robin Morrissey, Brody Nicholas Lee, Amanda Walker, Raevan Lee Hanan, Götz Otto, Mya-Lecia Naylor, Niall Greig Fulton, Louis Dempsey, Martin Docherty, Alistair Petrie, Sylvestra Le Touzel, Andrew Havill, Shaun Lawton, Victor Solé

Release: 2012-10-26

Runtime: 172

Plot: A set of six nested stories spanning time between the 19th century and a distant post-apocalyptic future. Cloud Atlas explores how the actions and consequences of individual lives impact one another throughout the past, the present and the future. Action, mystery and romance weave through the story as one soul is shaped from a killer into a hero and a single act of kindness ripples across centuries to inspire a revolution in the distant future. Based on the award winning novel by David Mitchell. Directed by Tom Tykwer and the Wachowskis.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
I liked some of the ideas in it but it had no ending. Future asian chick was hot as hell. Old guy yelling "Soylent green is people" made me laugh my ass off but also made it obvious what's happening in the future setting. Overall another disappointment.

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
I wasn't disappointed with it, but it may have been too ambitious for the big screen. Oddly enough I found the timeline where Hanks played the 'star' role (the post war) to be the least interesting. The two oldest timelines (1849 and 1936) were the most fulfilling to me, even if they didn't have as much 'story' as the others.

edit: also some characters I really didn't recognize who they were until the ending credits

This was an odd movie. I didn't care what was happening, but I couldn't turn it off. For some reason I had to see how it ended, but I wish I had never started watching it.

Wolfen_sl

shitlord
This movie showed that Halle is still hot as hell. I liked the ideas behind the movie more than the movie itself.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I thought the book was amazing, and for the first half of the movie it seemed to reflect the greatness of the book. But after awhile the movie started to shit itself. Sorry for the ubiquitous "the book was better" statement.
frown.png

Pumpkin Thief

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I enjoyed the movie, and yeah book was really cool I thought.

This was a really tough task to take on for the Wachowskis as the entire thing is almost purely thematic with little investment into a tight story or arcing characters which translates into something most people aren't expecting. You either get off on the themes of the "inter-connectedness of all things" and karma and appreciate it for that or you don't.

Can't blame someone for not loving this movie if that's not what they were looking for. I really appreciated Wachowskis drive to do something different that they felt strongly about, either way.

MsBehavn_sl

has an outie
I really REALLY enjoyed the movie, I have the book but have yet to read it; so hopefully the book provides even more than the movie. Also, the OST is pretty good imho.

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
do tell.

also I was surprised to find out that those white dudes were supposed to be Korean. I had made some assumption in my head that everyone kinda just looked the same thousands of years from now, but apparently Agent Smith and the other white dude were supposed to be flat out Korean?

Fazana_sl

shitlord
I watched it and couldn't decide whether I enjoyed it or not, it made me think at least! Biggest laugh was Hanks terrible accent on the character that spoke to the film critic.

Apparently the book deals with the stories in the order of 1-2-3-4-5-6-6-5-4-3-2-1 so it makes more sense. Will probably grab it some time and give it a look.

I thought I caught all the roles by the main acting troupe but it turned out I missed
Halle Berry played the grumpy old composers wife who bedded the usually gay young composer who shot himself.

I wonder how big a Hollywood career Mr Winshaw has ahead of him, I've just finished watching Skyfall which featured him pretty well. He was damn good in The Hour, a UK miniseries with Dominic West set in the 50s.

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
I found it unwatchable, mostly because of Tom Hank's endless array of silly accents and poor makeup. I felt like I was watching a series of skits done by highschool students. Obviously, tackling this book was a pretty huge undertaking, and I respect the attempt, but I just couldn't go along for the ride. Stopped watching around 45 minutes in and don't feel like I missed anything worthwhile.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
She was also the asian surgeon that removed the thing from 451. Though I'm not even sure why, as with that level of makeup it could have been a shaved ape and no one would notice.

Loved the movie , really enjoyed it. Thought it was pretty obvious on what they were trying to accomplish with the "poor makeup". But hey , gotta have a negative review I suppose.

Dom_sl

shitlord
Can someone explain to me what the deal was with the facial features of the guys in the Son-Mi part of the movie? It almost seemed like some sort of comical makeup job to make them look Korean, but the makeup work elsewhere in the movie was far better than that, so it seems like it had to do with something from the books that wasn't mentioned in the movie. Like some sort of evolution thing.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database