Cloud Atlas (2012)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Can someone explain to me what the deal was with the facial features of the guys in the Son-Mi part of the movie? It almost seemed like some sort of comical makeup job to make them look Korean, but the makeup work elsewhere in the movie was far better than that, so it seems like it had to do with something from the books that wasn't mentioned in the movie. Like some sort of evolution thing.
i didn't read the books and i don't think that the weird facial features can be called evolution, based only on the fact of the last story (after the fall) is even further along than the korean story and halle berry looks like a hot halle berry with a bagelhead implant in her head and tom cruise looks like cast away tom cruise, they have no evolutionary changes imo and they're further along in time than the korean one.

I would like to put my own theory, and would like to avoid the whole "Yellowface" racism thing all together as i think that deters from the cultural issue of blindness, which is sarcastic cuz it deals with the eyes.

first off this is quote from the lead makeup guy
He says it's important to recognize that these characters are living over 130 years from now in 2144 Neo Seoul. ?What we anticipated was that in the future, countries and states would become more homogenized, so it wouldn't be absolutely necessary for anybody to be 100 percent any ethnicity. It could be a genetic mishmash of many cultures, so we didn't feel that it would be treading on Asiatic toes too much by turning Europeans into Asians.?

you can interpret that how you will, i'll give my own take,
white ppl can't do asian make-up.

i'm asian, my wife is asian, we can't have white ppl cut our hair, it just looks weird, she also can't have white ppl do her make-up, by this i mean that for anyone who has been a part of a wedding, if you were a bridesmaid(for which she was a lot) you usually goto a salon right before the wedding or have a makeup artist come to your hotel/suite and do the whole wedding party(the women). When she has a white woman do her make-up, she just looks weird (we won't go into, well why doesn't the bridesmaid do her own makeup then, this is all wedding stuff, and they have their own rules).

It's no different i guess than a black person going into a white salon, it's not gonna happen, i guess i don't know i'm not too well verse in that subject besides what friends tell me, and watching the chris rock movie "good hair".

anyway white ppl can't do asian make-up, even when they did son-mi's make-up as a white person, it was ghastly, she was supposed to be the white kid's slave dad's wife, i thought she was just a red-headed asian woman, then i thought, no, that's impossible for this time period, i guess she's supposed to be white. Then she's in that silly 1960's era as the fat asian lady with the dog that clubs mr smith, but she's really supposed to be a mexican cuz mr smith calls her a wetback, she looked like a hawaiian to me! no hint of mexican at all.

so of course if they're trying to make a white guy into an asian, they're just gonna fck it up pretty bad.
they did better with the chinese girl (the one that told sonmi to rebel)

Diazepane_sl

shitlord
You could tell where they went over-the-top in order to mask any parts that would have been corny otherwise, like when agent smith suddenly was supposed to be extremely angry, shoot a dog, and call a little old asian lady a wetback, actually, that was comedy. I give the movie a 10/10.

Edit: I thought they did really well with speed racer, but I feel they completely failed this one.

Xeldar

Silver Squire
Fromhttp://popwatch.ew.com/2012/10/27/cl...as-book-movie/

Book-Sonmi's ending is far more complicated. Hae-Joo turns out to be an agent for the totalitarian government; indeed, Sonmi's entire adventure turns out to be an elaborately staged play, roughly akin to David Fincher's The Game.

Edit: I just assume in the future we'll all be Asian.
tongue.png
I like this a helluva lot better than Captain. Whiteknight Save-a-hoe.

Personally, I found it to be a huge cluster-fuck. The vignettes were smashed together and I never developed any emotional connection to the characters. Interesting premise, though.

tongue.png

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
You could tell where they went over-the-top in order to mask any parts that would have been corny otherwise, like when agent smith suddenly was supposed to be extremely angry, shoot a dog, and call a little old asian lady a wetback, actually, that was comedy. I give the movie a 10/10.
I don't get the joke. When he shot the dog was the only time in the movie I felt any emotion.

Movie felt disjointed and just not well put together. Maybe 5/10 for me.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I like this a helluva lot better than Captain. Whiteknight Save-a-hoe.

Personally, I found it to be a huge cluster-fuck. The vignettes were smashed together and I never developed any emotional connection to the characters. Interesting premise, though.
I agree with this as well. I like the idea of the movie (I probably should read the book), but the way it was constructed was confusing as fuck and it didn't flow at all. I kept attempting to keep all the characters straight and follow who was who and in the end it didn't really fucking matter. I was left with a general sense that "As the wheel turns" type of feeling without anything actually happening.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
My wife cried at the end and she didn't know why. This movie was a failure.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Yasp_sl

shitlord
I believe there was a thread on the two previous boards but couldn't find one here.

Anyway, I'm curious what people's thoughts on this were. The rip I had was english but with foreign menus, so I missed a few subtitles, but I'm guessing nothing major

To me it felt a bit chaotic and a bit of a mess until they started to try and tie together the point of some of the past/present/future stuff. It felt like knocking out a mini series in one night, but one that still had to rush itself. I'm not sure I agree with the choice in editing, I think they could've told a very similar story with very similar scenes in a clearer way.
Saw this movie recently, it blew me away. Such great directing, acting, costumes, settings... the whole package is just amazing.

The Neo Seoul look was very much intentional. It was supposed to be all the races being homogenized, which I thought turned out fine but obviously is a pretty difficult look to try and achieve. It had nothing to do with white people doing the make-up (seriously, these are Hollywood make-up artists, and did you even look to see if they were white? lol). As for the people saying it was strange that afterwards Halle Berry was black and whatnot that was actually addressed in the movie, genetic engineering was done to give them the best chance of survival in a very sunny and unprotected world.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Saw this, did not like. Wanted to like
frown.png

Halle Berry and Doona Bae as white chicks and Agent Smith as a Korean were probably the most forced makeup jobs. That said, the makeup didn't ruin the movie, just didn't help.

I felt like I was watching a convoluted attempt at a really long(yet really simple) Rube Goldberg machine. Zachry didn't get choked by the Kona because of jeweled button from the vest centuries ago, hurray! Or that could have been any stone/jewel, who gives a shit?

I saw most of the connections between each story excepting the nuclear reactor one. But the ones I did pick up on seemed really flimsy. If a reincarnated Lincoln carelessly discards a banana peel that Hitler slips on. The ensuing concussion opens up creative parts of his mind never seen before and he gets into art school and the rise of the Nazi party is averted! EVERYTHING IS CONNECTED!!!

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Having just watched it, I think the little contrived plot elements extending between the stories wasn't really their manner of connecting them, but rather the common themes of struggle, overcoming your demons and triumph. Even then I am also on the fence about how well the stories flowed the way they mashed them together, but atleast on an individual basis they were entertaining little tales with good acting, screenplay and cinematography, and a sense of imagination. This movie will lose a lot of points simply for attempting too much, and won't get appreciated enough for being good in a lot of fundamental, production-value ways that a lot of other movies fail at.

Nuttin_sl

shitlord
At 1st I thought the movie was about re-incarnation, but that thought got weird a bit later when they moved to 2144 and into Neo Seoul? Interesting movie though, not often that I get completely lost, bad thing is that when I do, I have to watch it again to see if I understand more, that the friggin movie is 177 minutes long doesnt help.

Cant really say that the movie was bad, it was however not something I would pay to watch.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I really wanted to like this movie but I dunno. I like complex movies but this one seemed over the top. Maybe this is the kind of story that can be great in a book but doesn't translate well to a movie? I haven't read the books so I don't know if that's the case.

I didn't hate the movie but I won't watch it again.

The Sci-Fi scenes I thought were excellent though.