CNC (Lasers, Routers, Etc)

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Lol I'm in the same boat, I've straight up image traced a lot of random artwork for my own enjoyment. Roll the dice on getting caught like the huge amount of disney shit on etsy does

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Screenshot_20210109-122043_Gallery.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Honestly selling this stuff is kind of a point of irritation for me right now because I've been telling my woman to get off her ass and register a business & start an Etsy account instead of staring at Instagram all day. Instead, she takes pictures of what I make and posts it on instagram with a caption that says "Look what we made!", gets 30 comments from people asking where they can buy some, replies with "we're working on it", then goes back to browsing Instagram. Seriously....for about 6 months now. She has about 5-7 friends right now that are persistent about asking for some of the earrings she posted and I told her to register a business and start an Etsy, which is about 2-3 hours total. Still nothing. Man I wish I was gay.
Told her I'm registering this one if she doesn't take care of it in the next 2 weeks. ;)

Screenshot_20210110-091806_Gallery.jpg

• 6Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 6 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Do it anyway, those look great.
I was just about to post a question and tag you and you posted this right when I was searching for the thread. someone's ears were burning.

Do you know what these things are called? I've been searching for "Silhouette vignette" with a little bit of luck, but not much. I don't even know what the hell these things are called, but I'm basically looking for stock imagery of silhouette style scenes.

1610381349367.png

1610381358744.png

1610381384557.png

1610381402344.png

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
No earthly idea on that one, probably better suited for one of the many laser groups on reddit/FB. If I ever look for something like that I just plug in the general concept + black & white and scroll through images to find what I need. Rarely ever fails

• 1Like

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Silhouette is the proper terminology, however, it is difficult to find quality silhouette images that aren't watermarked.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Silhouette is the proper terminology, however, it is difficult to find quality silhouette images that aren't watermarked.
I've had good luck with this tool in Inkscape for getting past watermarks....but I'm going to start buying some graphics for stuff I'm actually planning to sell.
1610405111284.png

• 1Like

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Depends on the watermark, some are laughable where you can literally open the image in paint and just draw it in with a color picker and then fill bucket. Others are a bit more of a bitch and its worth the hassle of paying the $2 for it, just be careful if you grow in popularity. Just because you bought the image from someone else, doesn't necessarily mean they have the rights to that image either.

Copywrite makes sense, and at the same time its such a bitch and a half to work with more often than not.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
My gf knits/crochet's stuff to put on the etsy shop she made for our junk and she made a basket that was maroon/golden and in the description put "Gryffindor basket" and it had no other identifying characteristics/logo's at all. Etsy suspended her account until it was removed.

Other than that, can't say I've ever had experience with it other than people commenting on selling things that can be found on the internet/were made by someone else to which the typical reply of "I purchased the rights to make & sell this item, thanks" is all that comes of it.

I think the odds of you running into a cease & desist is pretty rare though if you aren't a dumbass using football logo's & disney characters and actually putting that description on a service though. "Little green alien" gets around easy word searches for "Baby yoda", police phone booth instead of Tardis etc. If you are dumb enough to put "Baby Yoda wearing New England Patriots NFL Helmet" or something in the description, you deserve to be hassled over it.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Hey K k^M - Do you have any experience with staining ceramic after etching it on the laser? I've been playing with it the last couple of days and haven't found a good technique yet. I've tried sharpie, acrylic paint and food coloring (lol) so far. Sharpie looks great but is a bitch on larger engraves. Food coloring actually looked really good, but obviously washes away easy. Acrylic paint I only tried last night, but not much luck.

Since Home Depot is dirt fucking cheap for ceramic, I got a couple boxes of 4"x4" tiles and 10"x14" tiles to play around with. Going to test out some of these this weekend....
2019-10-15 West Line C (48) (3).jpg

2020-12-17_1251PM__06.jpg
SJW.jpg

20191027_105637.jpg

• 1Like

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Anyone ever used a pen plotter? I'm bored and thought maybe Drawing Robot - Arduino Uno + CNC Shield + GRBL by henryarnold would be fun to build and fuck around with.

I've used the router a few times at work to do pen plots, I thought of a lot of cool ideas but never got time to screw around with them. I even bought sharpies to get quality drawings. I think I posted a few in here, but the bunk ass markers we had at work wore out after like on e letter.