Cobra Kai

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I didn't finish season 2 episode 1 but revisited it with a post NYE hangover, then finished season 3.

It's not great but was fine to have on and semi pay attention to.

My complaints are the same as when I watched season 1:

The fight scene choreography doesn't really fit with the movies, it's exaggerated and OTT with flips, somersaults etc

Hawk is still a ridiculous caricature. I feel like most of the teenage characters would have been eaten alive if you sent them back to the 80s. Although that may be true of most teenagers today

The cameo appearances from movie characters in season 3 are just fan service and it felt like they blew their load with three in s3

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The cameo appearances from movie characters in season 3 are just fan service and it felt like they blew their load with three in s3
Well the show was originally a YouTube original that was cancelled and Netflix picked it up for a season 3. So kinda explains why they went so big.

Sterling

El Presidente
I didn't finish season 2 episode 1 but revisited it with a post NYE hangover, then finished season 3.

It's not great but was fine to have on and semi pay attention to.

My complaints are the same as when I watched season 1:

The fight scene choreography doesn't really fit with the movies, it's exaggerated and OTT with flips, somersaults etc

Hawk is still a ridiculous caricature. I feel like most of the teenage characters would have been eaten alive if you sent them back to the 80s. Although that may be true of most teenagers today

I mean the 80s style cheese is and terrible choreography is is part of the appeal. It does have stupid flips and acrobatics which in and of itself is already total nonsense, but all the fighting is also at like half speed. The fact that every argument turns into huge scale karate brawls is totally absurd. You watch this show for absurdity and silly nostalgia stuff. if you want a more realistic fighting show this isn't it.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I mean the 80s style cheese is and terrible choreography is is part of the appeal. It does have stupid flips and acrobatics which in and of itself is already total nonsense, but all the fighting is also at like half speed. The fact that every argument turns into huge scale karate brawls is totally absurd. You watch this show for absurdity and silly nostalgia stuff. if you want a more realistic fighting show this isn't it.

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying the combat jars when compared to the original.

Yes, the originals had unrealistic finishing moves, but were apart from those it was realistic.

Also, the football scene sucked because the girl clearly couldn't dribble a football.

In addition to the unrealistic combat, some of the choreography is just plain bad - on the level of Jaime and Bronn in Dorne bad

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Screen-Shot-2020-12-27-at-5.43.29-PM.jpg

Oh, and dude on right looks more like a young Terry Silver than actual young Silver on the left

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Finished the season, loved it. They had so many amazing callbacks, so awesome. The show is amazing for not shitting over the original / source material. They honor it. The kids fighting choregraphy is so bad, it's like a bunch of dorks play fighting. Peyton List looks kind chubby, the daughter is chubby but pretty, it's just so funny the idea of a little chubby 17 yr old beating up boys. But, still enjoy it. Nice to see some Reese back story to see why he is the way he is. But honestly I don't even care about the cheese dick fighting. But the show is going to grow old if it's the same few people switching back and forth, etc. Love the show, but they really called back everyone this show. The only one left is Terry Silver, I can't imagine they would call back the main thug from 3 or the other thugs, or that girl. But who knows!

• 1Like

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
1/2 speed fighting - Ralph Machio is 59 and he ain't Tom Cruise, cut him some slack. I hope I'm in that good of shape at his age.

• 1Like

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Finished the season, loved it. They had so many amazing callbacks, so awesome. The show is amazing for not shitting over the original / source material. They honor it. The kids fighting choregraphy is so bad, it's like a bunch of dorks play fighting. Peyton List looks kind chubby, the daughter is chubby but pretty, it's just so funny the idea of a little chubby 17 yr old beating up boys. But, still enjoy it. Nice to see some Reese back story to see why he is the way he is. But honestly I don't even care about the cheese dick fighting. But the show is going to grow old if it's the same few people switching back and forth, etc. Love the show, but they really called back everyone this show. The only one left is Terry Silver, I can't imagine they would call back the main thug from 3 or the other thugs, or that girl. But who knows!

Peyton List seems 10 times the natural athlete the actress that plays Daniel's daughter is, though. Agree the kid fighting is some of the more ridiculous stuff. Some of them make it look not shit tier, but some of it is pretty bad.

I was actually surprised how well the cameos actually worked with the story. They didn't drag them out over multiple episodes and were nice callbacks.

The Krease backstory stuff has actually been interesting, but I agree the best scenes are Johnny and Miguel.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
Enjoyed the season and all the call backs. I think the fights were worse than the first couple seasons, maybe they didn't have time to train the basics to the kids in the off season, but they don't look like they're focused or confident in fighting. Hopefully they do for season 4 with the tournament, because fights will be more focused 1v1 and shitty pretend fighting is going to stand out more. Robbie still the biggest douchebag that I have no sympathy for, even the actor just seems like a douchebag to me, guess he's a good choice for a "bad guy".

• 2Like

Malkav

French Madman
We may see it at the start of S4, but it'd be completely ridiculous to not have the police get involved after this whole home invasion/assault episode. I mean, it was already jarring after that kid got his arm broken with absolutely no consequences.

• 1Solidarity

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I enjoyed the season for the most part. The only parts I didnt care for were the backstory on Kreese and how any loser from the high school goes to a Cobra Kai class and is instantly a karate master. Hopefully in season 4 they tone down Hawk, his caricature is too over the top and obnoxious.

• 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Enjoyed the Kreese storyline a lot, I figured Hawk would move over back to the good guys, glad he did. I'm sure his rival will end up being the Asian kid.

In all, I thought I'd hate this show back when I started it and it's grown into a great show. Corny at times with the old guys fighting, but that's part of its charm I guess.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Kiki

Log Wizard
To be fair, Ralph Machio wasn't a good fighter in the movies either. And it's kind of hilarious that their ex-girlfriend is arguably the most famous of all of them currently. I was cracking breastfeeding Homelander jokes the entire time. Johnny makes this show hands down, without him it would be trash.

Anyone see Miguel on the Netflix After Party show? holy shit lol.

• 2Like

Sterling

El Presidente
To be fair, Ralph Machio wasn't a good fighter in the movies either. And it's kind of hilarious that their ex-girlfriend is arguably the most famous of all of them currently. I was cracking breastfeeding Homelander jokes the entire time. Johnny makes this show hands down, without him it would be trash.
Yeah, Johnny is the shit. Miguel is the least shitty kid, so them being on screen a lot together is good shit. Wonder if Shue is going to be a regular cast member next season.

• 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>

Anyone see Miguel on the Netflix After Party show? holy shit lol.

holy shit that was her breastfeeding Homelander wasn’t it? Damn I can’t believe I didn’t see it.

Last edited:

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I enjoyed the season for the most part. The only parts I didnt care for were the backstory on Kreese and how any loser from the high school goes to a Cobra Kai class and is instantly a karate master. Hopefully in season 4 they tone down Hawk, his caricature is too over the top and obnoxious.

Agree with you on Hawk.

What was wrong with Kreese backstory?

We know from movies he was in Vietnam, he was US Army karate champion and that he saved Terry Silver's life, thus Silver is in his debt (kinda like Han and Chewie)

It's not like they've retconned anything (like taking Johnny from privileged rich kid to stepson of rich stepfather)

Xevy

Log Wizard
There's some pretty tropey writing, but Johnny is pretty much always great. The best characters are Johnny, Amanda LaRusso as the only non-caricature, then of course the two little kids who have the BEST shit talking when against each other.

• 2Like

Maul

Dental Dammer
Yeah Daniel's wife is pretty good in this too, probably second in line after Johnny for best performances.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Liked this season a lot. Kreese is an interesting character and I was glad to see his backstory fleshed out more fully rather than him being just a cartoon villain. Johnny is the show, though. The whole guy trapped in the past and trying to fix his fuckups is always a good watch and as said he comes across as so genuine. Glad they dialed back the kid drama a bit and the Okinawa visit went the direction it did. Also glad they did not go for the easy drama milking of having Ali jump on Johnny and fucking his relationships because he does not do the right thing. The finale was very satisfying and I am looking forward to what will presumably be the last season.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users