Coco (2017)

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
5.00 star(s) Rating: 5.00/5 1 Votes
Title: Coco

Genre: Family, Animation, Adventure

Director: Lee Unkrich

Cast: Anthony Gonzalez, Gael García Bernal, Benjamin Bratt, Renée Victor, Ana Ofelia Murguía, Alanna Ubach, Edward James Olmos, Gabriel Iglesias, Jaime Camil, Cheech Marin, Alfonso Aráu, Lombardo Boyar, Sofía Espinosa, Luis Valdez, Herbert Siguenza, Selene Luna, Blanca Araceli, Octavio Solis

Release: 2017-10-27

Runtime: 109

Plot: Despite his family’s baffling generations-old ban on music, Miguel dreams of becoming an accomplished musician like his idol, Ernesto de la Cruz. Desperate to prove his talent, Miguel finds himself in the stunning and colorful Land of the Dead following a mysterious chain of events. Along the way, he meets charming trickster Hector, and together, they set off on an extraordinary journey to unlock the real story behind Miguel's family history.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Absolutely fantastic movie. One of the best Disney / Pixar stories to date. Judging by the reviews, I was expecting a solid show but it may be my favorite Pixar film. Great family film and perfect for the Thanksgiving season where people are already focusing on family.

This is a must see.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Movie was fantastic.

The 30 minute Frozen "short" before it, on the other hand...the fuck were they thinking.

• 1Solidarity

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
The Frozen movie just felt like it was never going to end. I think it would have been much better suited at a TV special like the couple of Toy Story shorts they have done. It was somewhere between a short that was too long or a movie too condensed.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
It was made to be shown on ABC as a half-hour special for the holidays but they started to have doubts about audiences being interested in Coco so they threw it in front of it as a "short" to use the popularity of Frozen to help it along.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Absolutely fantastic movie. One of the best Disney / Pixar stories to date. Judging by the reviews, I was expecting a solid show but it may be my favorite Pixar film. Great family film and perfect for the Thanksgiving season where people are already focusing on family.

This is a must see.
shit, really? i wasnt too impressed from what i saw about it. i guess i shouldnt have doubted Pixar, but Cars 3 was really disappointing this year so i figured they were going downhill. gonna have to go see this now.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Why would north american audiences have doubts about Coco?

I think Disney was unsure of how to market a movie centered around a Mexican holiday to US audiences, especially after they got blow back from Mexican American groups when they tried to trademark "Día de los Muertos" for the movie. The marketing for it has been unusually subdued for a Disney/Pixar movie up until now. It looks like they've opted to rely more on positive word of mouth.

• 1Like

Ome

Molten Core Raider
I also thought it was an enjoyable movie. I couldn't stand the Frozen bit they sneaked in tho. After trailers and that long short it was a good 40 minutes later by the time Coco actually got going. Everyone was getting antsy, kids were asking when Coco would start, I was even wondering at one point if I was in the wrong theater. I read that the two big Mexico movie chains removed the whole Frozen thing due to complaints.

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
Movie was awesome, probably one of my top 3 Pixar.

That Frozen short (it wasn't) was so painful. It just wouldn't stop.

moai13

Trakanon Raider
Coco was quite good. Will be getting a hard copy for kids. I wish I had the 30 min of my life back from the Frozen short prior, though.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Good movie. The bright visuals and design of the city of the dead were pretty cool. The story was well done.

Have to agree about the Frozen short. I don’t like Frozen so maybe I’m biased, but it was just too long and lame. It felt like they’re trying too hard to make something for Xmas time tv specials. My kid liked seeing the Frozen characters so who knows, maybe it was good.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Just saw it, excellent. The Frozen short was quite possibly the worst thing ever made, in the history of mankind. I'd rather Hitler come back and burn another million jews than watch that shit again.

• 1Solidarity

spronk

FPS noob
Saw this today and really enjoyed it, which is a bit surprising as I usually hate sentimental movies but this felt like the Pixar of old that had adult themes interwoven in so adults could enjoy it as well as kids. The animation was just drop dead gorgeous, simply unbelievable and its 100% a UHD I am gonna buy to see again at home. I had no idea the backstory of Dia de Las Muertes so it was pretty cool learning all about it, got me wondering how the catholic church views it since its gotta be rooted in ancient Incan/Mayan/etc history. Gotta find a book or podcast to learn more about it.

A few relatives and their kids were still in town so took everyone but after seating them I went out and re-watched 30 mins of Justice League so I could skip the Frozen short, really happy about that as everyone was telling me it really sucked afterwards although the kids loved it I guess.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Have kids been enjoying this? Laura and I were crazy about it, but it seems so deep and sentimental for kids that they wouldn't get it IMO. I can't imagine someone without family that's died really feeling the full impact of it.

And spronk, it's actually somewhat rooted in Catholic tradition - I'm not sure how Day of the Dead came about since I'm not THAT familiar with it - but the Catholic Church used to have days for all the Saints, but got to be a clusterfuck - after that they made All Saint's Day on Nov 1st, as well as All Soul's on Nov 2nd. Day of the Dead ties onto Halloween/All Saint's/All Soul's - it begins at sundown on Halloween and ends at sunrise on All Soul's.

Now it's been largely abandoned by Catholics but All Soul's was intended to be a day spent remembering family (and friends) that have passed - just like Day of the Dead.

However it does seem some of it, guardian spirits/etc are clearly rooted in tradition that predates the Catholic missionaries though. So there's some mixing in place, but the core tenets seem to line up with Catholicism.

(I was raised Catholic and spent way too much time educating in the faith up til my teens - and All Soul's was of particular interest to me, being that's my B-day)

• 1Like
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database