Coffee Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
so i've made a few batches over the weekend, while it's nice, it is def not instant. the filter screen you put the coffee in, is hot garbage it comes out muddy, i have to strain it, and for reason it takes forever. i ran out of the "cheap" kroger filters i have and started to use melitta filters, which are extra fine and actually ended up getting clogged.

this is the same grind setting i use for my technovorm, so it shouldn't have clogged, but it did.

since it's magnetic spinny thing, i'm gonna wrap some cheesecloth around it next time and see how that goes.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
so i've made a few batches over the weekend, while it's nice, it is def not instant. the filter screen you put the coffee in, is hot garbage it comes out muddy, i have to strain it, and for reason it takes forever. i ran out of the "cheap" kroger filters i have and started to use melitta filters, which are extra fine and actually ended up getting clogged.

this is the same grind setting i use for my technovorm, so it shouldn't have clogged, but it did.

since it's magnetic spinny thing, i'm gonna wrap some cheesecloth around it next time and see how that goes.
ok so i wrapped the coffee cylinder in some old coldbrew bags i had
ea4419270a603679a79c19ea6fdca011.png

basically a cold brew coffee condom

and it works really well, but it's stupid...

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I tried those bags as well. I found by day 3 or 4, the cold brew had lost some of its flavor. Like the volatiles had all evaporated out. I ended sticking with reusable mesh filters so that I could brew single serving batches more often. I'll take a bit of sludge over burning through tons of filter bags.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I tried those bags as well. I found by day 3 or 4, the cold brew had lost some of its flavor. Like the volatiles had all evaporated out. I ended sticking with reusable mesh filters so that I could brew single serving batches more often. I'll take a bit of sludge over burning through tons of filter bags.
yea i agree the cloth bag does and will remove the lipids from the brew, not as bad as a paper filter, but there will be loss compared to a metal one.

i don't however think the cloth condom is an issue, i brewed 4 batches for my test

and ranked it from best to no flavor/body

cold brew w/ cloth condom
cold brew strained w/ metal coffee cone
cold brew strained w/ paper filter (kroger)
cold brew strained w/ paper filter (melitta)

these are up to 2 day old so far, i'm just drinking the straight up concentrate

my theory is that the cloth condom doesn't "strain" out much of any lipids since it's still immersed in the brew

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I meant just the cold brew sitting around for a while, post brew. The bags are big, incentivizing big batches. So I would do a week of cold brew at a time in a large pitcher. Half way through the pitcher, it would lose some flavor.

Interesting theory about the filter material having an effect on taste, hadn't considered that.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I meant just the cold brew sitting around for a while, post brew. The bags are big, incentivizing big batches. So I would do a week of cold brew at a time in a large pitcher. Half way through the pitcher, it would lose some flavor.

Interesting theory about the filter material having an effect on taste, hadn't considered that.
yea, i have 4 batches of brew in 1quart containers in the fridge testing it out, 3days is a little long for me to test out the viability, honestly its gone within a day

imo maybe you should try a sealed pitcher like a takeya
b3d19d2792f3e21f7aef8109c448019b.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
so i'm getting less sludge and fines from the cold brew, in fact when i put on the coffee condom, it just looks like cloudy water after 20mins.

so my thoughts? the metal strainer is a double filter and it looks like all the fines got caught between and is now keeping out the super fines.

is this optimal? no i don't want old grinds in my filter, but it's pretty impossible to wash it out tho...

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
starbucks has nespresso vertuo pods now, they cost a bit more than nespresso pods, but i've never really been happy w/ the nespresso coffee, gonna fire one up now

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
starbucks has nespresso vertuo pods now, they cost a bit more than nespresso pods, but i've never really been happy w/ the nespresso coffee, gonna fire one up now
pike place vertuo is smoother but lacks flavor

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
new year, new grinder
3ac2ae0adc188cbac97faacb0bb0de9f.png
Let us know how it goes. I almost got one of those a couple of months ago when the timer on mine got a little wonky. I use it enough that I thought it might be worth an upgrade, but some of the negative reviews scared me off. I've had mine for maybe 7ish years and it never had any of the issues that some people had with that one, so I ended up just ordering another. Before it got here, the timer started working again though, so the new one is still in the box. I have this one for reference in case anyone wants a recommendation for something a bit cheaper:
1704749357704.png

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Let us know how it goes. I almost got one of those a couple of months ago when the timer on mine got a little wonky. I use it enough that I thought it might be worth an upgrade, but some of the negative reviews scared me off. I've had mine for maybe 7ish years and it never had any of the issues that some people had with that one, so I ended up just ordering another. Before it got here, the timer started working again though, so the new one is still in the box. I have this one for reference in case anyone wants a recommendation for something a bit cheaper:
View attachment 508152
yea the neg reviews are historic imo, they go back to the ode1 and it's cuz of the burrs, idk i haven't tried that one (i get the ode2 tomorrow), and most ppl (snobs) say that it's unusable unless you get the ssp burrs, and it's supposedly very messy.

the ode2 fix's w/ better burrs and a magnet (to cancel the extreme chaff), which is what i'm replacing, a grinder that has extreme chaff, a eureka mignon (i shouldn't even be using it for drip, it's really an espresso grinder, it was just quiet)

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
also trying a new cold brew machine, i've been doing this for 6months
6b2cb8dff7c58c31322422b77a25c342.png

it works "ok" it's def better than waiting 24hrs the traditional way, but the mesh filter is getting clogged. mind you i actually wash the filter w/ a toothbrush everytime, so it's not from lack of care, just that imo over 6months many "fines" have seeped into the brew chamber, and it doesn't drain as well and it tastes "weaker".

i then took the brew basket and immersed it in my sonic cleaner (i have a prosumer sonic cleaner for my wifes jewelry, and tons of fines came right out of it.

anyway gonna try this new tech
2fe930ea95aa8c531c8122f780668824.png

it already tastes "better" and not as murky looking.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
new year, new grinder
3ac2ae0adc188cbac97faacb0bb0de9f.png
my initial thoughts are i like it, it's very clean, seemingly no retention, i just did 1 cup of pour over and it's smooth

now that i have a newer "dedicated" pour over grinder (i don't like to change grind settings)

i can do, what i had hated... and thats doing espresso again.

all b/c spain had such shit poor espresso, i'm coming back to espresso strong

yup, flair manual machine, supplementary dedicated hand grinder a cute breville bambino

and all the ocd shit

a needle fluffer, and a spirographic fluffer too!, paper post screens and metal pre screens, levelers and 30lb calibrated tamps, jesus christ

i don't even like espresso much, i just wanna know i can make better espresso than these fucking spaniards, thats how much i hate them

• 1Worf

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
my initial thoughts are i like it, it's very clean, seemingly no retention, i just did 1 cup of pour over and it's smooth

now that i have a newer "dedicated" pour over grinder (i don't like to change grind settings)

i can do, what i had hated... and thats doing espresso again.

all b/c spain had such shit poor espresso, i'm coming back to espresso strong

yup, flair manual machine, supplementary dedicated hand grinder a cute breville bambino

and all the ocd shit

a needle fluffer, and a spirographic fluffer too!, paper post screens and metal pre screens, levelers and 30lb calibrated tamps, jesus christ

i don't even like espresso much, i just wanna know i can make better espresso than these fucking spaniards, thats how much i hate them
Maybe a silly question, but have you tried an Aeropress? I really like the simplicity of it just being a tube you pour coffee and hot water in.

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

About a year ago, I said no more cream and sugar - took about 3 months, now I can drink (and enjoy) black coffee or many various degrees of quality.. I have always liked (I know... I know...) what I call "Diner Coffee" - basic, made in a commercial BUNN, $.50 (well now Biden$4$ lol) coffee, even when I did cream and sugar... Starbucks and Dunkin were, and sill are my least favorite coffee

sorry coffee bros :( I tried, doffed up or straight... just normal joe. Even did many of the cold press, overnight, coco bean, chicory etc.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Maybe a silly question, but have you tried an Aeropress? I really like the simplicity of it just being a tube you pour coffee and hot water in.
yea i've used one for years, it's in storage cuz it's ugly, i say this b/c i have my moka pot and french press still in the kitchen but they look nice and never touch em.

i did take it out a few years ago when hoffman released his guide to the aeropress and that was more of a good way of experimenting w/ grind size and steep time and i use that experience adjusting extraction on the technovorm (which i'm still getting used to the ode, that thing is fast)

• 1Like