Coffee Thread

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
About a year ago, I said no more cream and sugar - took about 3 months, now I can drink (and enjoy) black coffee or many various degrees of quality.. I have always liked (I know... I know...) what I call "Diner Coffee" - basic, made in a commercial BUNN, $.50 (well now Biden$4$ lol) coffee, even when I did cream and sugar... Starbucks and Dunkin were, and sill are my least favorite coffee

sorry coffee bros :( I tried, doffed up or straight... just normal joe. Even did many of the cold press, overnight, coco bean, chicory etc.
Yeah, I grew up drinking diner coffee and always loved it (still love the smell of percolated coffee, though I haven't had any in forever), although I always dumped lots of cream/sugar in. When I drink it now though, it's either really weak or acidy or both. I generally just get colombian beans from Sams or Costco, grind them, and then aeropress. It's faster/easier than making a normal pot, and its easy to tune in the strength that you want. so imo, I'm still making diner coffee, it's just fresh. Although now that I'm reminded of it, I may try to dig up a percolator :)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah, I grew up drinking diner coffee and always loved it (still love the smell of percolated coffee, though I haven't had any in forever), although I always dumped lots of cream/sugar in. When I drink it now though, it's either really weak or acidy or both. I generally just get colombian beans from Sams or Costco, grind them, and then aeropress. It's faster/easier than making a normal pot, and its easy to tune in the strength that you want. so imo, I'm still making diner coffee, it's just fresh. Although now that I'm reminded of it, I may try to dig up a percolator :)
i had a bunn that made great coffee, speaking of diner coffee
5150522c723a8cbdf5ec0ffbf048c395.png

(mine was older)
it was great, my wife even took it into the office to show ppl what good coffee tastes like

ultimately it broke after a few years, shit doesn't last, i had already fix'd it once and gave up the second time.

Siliconemelons

Yeah, I grew up drinking diner coffee and always loved it (still love the smell of percolated coffee, though I haven't had any in forever), although I always dumped lots of cream/sugar in. When I drink it now though, it's either really weak or acidy or both. I generally just get colombian beans from Sams or Costco, grind them, and then aeropress. It's faster/easier than making a normal pot, and it’s easy to tune in the strength that you want. so imo, I'm still making diner coffee, it's just fresh. Although now that I'm reminded of it, I may try to dig up a percolator :)

I have a percolator, it and it’s big brothers are my favorite, those are to me “church coffee” also how I explain what basic type I like lol

I will say fresh well brewed is better, not dismissing that. I have a burr grinder, I have and had all the styles of brewers EXCEPT the aeropress as honestly, every time I got to buy one on Amazon I truly get hit by the “if you want that, look at THIS” marketing and end up buying some other thing… so perhaps I really need to get one now haha

• 1Worf

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I have a percolator, it and it’s big brothers are my favorite, those are to me “church coffee” also how I explain what basic type I like lol

I will say fresh well brewed is better, not dismissing that. I have a burr grinder, I have and had all the styles of brewers EXCEPT the aeropress as honestly, every time I got to buy one on Amazon I truly get hit by the “if you want that, look at THIS” marketing and end up buying some other thing… so perhaps I really need to get one now haha
AEROPRESS Coffee and Espresso Maker - Quickly Makes Delicious Coffee Without Bitterness - 1 to 3 Cups Per Pressing [/ur]
aeropress got bought out and their new "clear" line comes w/o the funnel and paper holder, and less papers
deal breaker?
no
just what companies do
(i still use the aeropress 2tbps scoop, i like the long handle)

*edit
looks like link got fucked, still works, oh well

anyway off to costco to buy more coffee, since i now need lots of coffee to experiment w/

• 1Solidarity

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
my initial thoughts are i like it, it's very clean, seemingly no retention, i just did 1 cup of pour over and it's smooth

now that i have a newer "dedicated" pour over grinder (i don't like to change grind settings)

i can do, what i had hated... and thats doing espresso again.

all b/c spain had such shit poor espresso, i'm coming back to espresso strong

yup, flair manual machine, supplementary dedicated hand grinder a cute breville bambino

and all the ocd shit

a needle fluffer, and a spirographic fluffer too!, paper post screens and metal pre screens, levelers and 30lb calibrated tamps, jesus christ

i don't even like espresso much, i just wanna know i can make better espresso than these fucking spaniards, thats how much i hate them
At least they have some good ham and cheeses?

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I always throw the funnel away. My grinder container fits on top of the tube well enough that I just put them together and shake a bit. And I always use one of the metal filters.
I do the upside down method, so it can brew a bit. Also, don't leave the plunger in the tube any longer than needed. It will dramatically shorten the life. Not sure if the rubber gets compressed or the tube gets stretched, but storing them that way or forgetting to empty it after using it even once can make it turn all floppy (probably less of an issue if you're not using it upside down though). Otherwise I usually get a couple of years out of one.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I always throw the funnel away. My grinder container fits on top of the tube well enough that I just put them together and shake a bit. And I always use one of the metal filters.
I do the upside down method, so it can brew a bit. Also, don't leave the plunger in the tube any longer than needed. It will dramatically shorten the life. Not sure if the rubber gets compressed or the tube gets stretched, but storing them that way or forgetting to empty it after using it even once can make it turn all floppy (probably less of an issue if you're not using it upside down though). Otherwise I usually get a couple of years out of one.
i get to play w/ round paper filters again heh.
2a25805bd880893b38b06764c0754907.png

the nerds have tested that a post paper filter (after the grinds) helps w/ even water flow

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
i get to play w/ round paper filters again heh.
2a25805bd880893b38b06764c0754907.png

the nerds have tested that a post paper filter (after the grinds) helps w/ even water flow
Paper absorbs the oil though, which some people dislike and possibly subjects you to drinking whatever the paper was treated with.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Paper absorbs the oil though, which some people dislike and possibly subjects you to drinking whatever the paper was treated with.
the nerds have reasoned that the oil loss is negilible and flow control is more important that this workflow is the norm now
1. wet post - paper filter put in portafilter
2. rdt beans
3. wdt for clumps
4. level it
5. 30lb tamp
6. put a metal screen filter on top for even more flow control

• 1Like

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I got this Philips 3200 series for my wife a couple of years ago because she wanted to be able to make cappuccino at home without a hassle. I drink way more coffee than she does though so I effectively bought it for myself, no regerts. Still works great after being a daily driver for years.

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I got this Philips 3200 series for my wife a couple of years ago because she wanted to be able to make cappuccino at home without a hassle. I drink way more coffee than she does though so I effectively bought it for myself, no regerts. Still works great after being a daily driver for years.
1704916292717.png

You trying to get Lanx killed?

• 1Worf

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
View attachment 508505
You trying to get Lanx killed?
i'm doing about that much damage this week anyway

honestly i'll be returning the flair lever and hand grinder, the novelty of "manual espresso" wore off after i tried dialing in my 3rd shot and i just attached my drill to it (before the ode came in and i was able to just use the eureka)

my initial thought was that i already had a gaggia and the heatup time takes 15minutes, which is long and stupid and they all take this long, w/ the manual i just need to boil water and pop it in

but then i found out that the breville bambino heats up in literally 3 seconds so i just have to buy a real portafilter for it and change the shower screen

cuz really, who is dumb enough to wait around for 10minutes to brew espresso?

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
We bought my mother in law one of the fancy Jura things, something like this

Jura E8 Chrome Automatic Coffee Machine, 64oz https://a.co/d/dAKvwbb

It was too complicated for her though, and didn’t make the coffee hot enough.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I've had a Baratza Encore for about a year and a half and I've been happy with it. Built to be repaired and they sell spare parts. Other than the auto shutoff, I can't see what that offers that's worth more than twice to price.
it really comes down to,
do burrs really make a difference?

we know of course yes, you need good burrs for espresso or it's just not gonna work

do you need good burrs for pour over/drip tho?

primer

also if youre interested there is a burr upgrade for the encore

you have whats called a m3 burr, the upgrade is the m2 burr

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
new year, new grinder
3ac2ae0adc188cbac97faacb0bb0de9f.png
so a month in, i'm happy w/ the new grinder, grinds aren't anywhere (cuz of the antistatic magnet, i also do s spritz of water), it sounds quieter (keep forgetting to download db meter) and it's faster too.

anyway gonna try this new tech
2fe930ea95aa8c531c8122f780668824.png

it already tastes "better" and not as murky looking.
this cold brewer makes great cold brew (i nitro it up later), and fast, it's nice and clean... it just looks a bit like a "toy" cuz the plastic feels thin and it seems like it'll shatter, but other than that, really good.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
so a month in, i'm happy w/ the new grinder, grinds aren't anywhere (cuz of the antistatic magnet, i also do s spritz of water), it sounds quieter (keep forgetting to download db meter) and it's faster too.

this cold brewer makes great cold brew (i nitro it up later), and fast, it's nice and clean... it just looks a bit like a "toy" cuz the plastic feels thin and it seems like it'll shatter, but other than that, really good.
I just use a mason jar to make cold brew. Just takes a couple mins to set up every couple days. Relatives need to stop buying me all these dark and espresso roasts for the holidays, though, not the best in cold brew format, though I have a thing for light roast cold brew.

• 1Like