Coffee Thread

Khane

Got something right about marriage
You're turning into the J.V. version of Cad. I expect better from you.

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
Yea if you are already drinking great coffee, whats the purpose of the aeropress then? except for maybe to take on trips or when your super automatic takes a big shit (no naming names!!!)?

It's that the aeropress is the best barrier to entry to obtain the best cup o joe that even real coffee houses would have a difficult time to get right (1 glaring issue i've noticed is that many baristas leave or make extra grounds in the doser and give you shit grinds, along w/ them just looking like a part time high schooler, who knows if they can even tamp well).

I'm also an advocate of pour over, these are usually know as the hario v60 or the more famously chemex however the barrier to entry is far greater, you need to have a gooseneck kettle, and develop skill in blooming and being a fake zen master at bullshit pouring.

And yes, you will be missing the crema from espresso in the aeropress cuz of the paper filter, however ppl have already made mesh screens for it, so you can obtain a near espresso shot (you now have to worry about your grind size tho, and have to really "dial it in")

Aeropress is awesome. Love it. Best cup of coffee you can reasonably brew at home.

when I want Expresso with it, I use about 20gs for of coffee for every 100ml of water (I found the KImbro coffee works great). I grind it very fine. I use two filters doubled up at the bottom and then 1 filter on top of the grounds, tamped down and packed with a dowel as much as I can. I pretty much need full force to push the coffee through but it creates a ton of pressure and I can usually get about 1/4" of crema.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Aeropress is awesome. Love it. Best cup of coffee you can reasonably brew at home.

when I want Expresso with it, I use about 20gs for of coffee for every 100ml of water (I found the KImbro coffee works great). I grind it very fine. I use two filters doubled up at the bottom and then 1 filter on top of the grounds, tamped down and packed with a dowel as much as I can. I pretty much need full force to push the coffee through but it creates a ton of pressure and I can usually get about 1/4" of crema.
get the metal s filter if you want oils/crema for the aeropress, the reviews are old, they're on version 2 and super sturdy now.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Thanks, I ordered it.
Don't forget if you need more "oomph" try inverted aeropress
aeropressiced-5.jpg

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
I enjoy coffee but am not in the elite category of drinkers like many of you. I usually drink single origin and dark but I actually bought a flavored ground and I really like it; I still have to mix it half and half with the dark roast though...
Kauai Coffee - vanilla macadamia nut. It is good Saturday morning coffee. Merica!
That is all.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
My mother in law was fully titillated over the magnifica when she came in for thanksgiving and wouldn't shut up about it, gave her the spare.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I enjoy coffee but am not in the elite category of drinkers like many of you. I usually drink single origin and dark but I actually bought a flavored ground and I really like it; I still have to mix it half and half with the dark roast though...
Kauai Coffee - vanilla macadamia nut. It is good Saturday morning coffee. Merica!
That is all.
don francisco kona blend is touted pretty well, i had their beans too, i favor more don pablo (different roasters), it is a Kona Blend, and i do NOT know the ratio of Kona to other beans, but at least it's all 100% arabica, I've been told the smell is amazing.

I'm not much of a "smeller"/aroma guy so i guess when i vacationed in Hawaii and had Kona coffee all day, it really wasn't special to me at all really.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Normally, I would agree in re flavors, for some reason, this one is pretty tasty...but only when mixed with dark roast 100%. Otherwise it would be too much. At least for me.

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've picked up a few bags here and there from our local coffee roasting place Baby's Coffee Home

The Cuban and Hemingway varieties will pop your eyeballs. Breakfast blend is on the lighter side but has a nice, easy drinkability. Recommend stopping at their store if you ever drive down the Keys.

Not a huge aficionado but I liked catching up in this thread very much.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
With my eyes.

Have a better suggestion?
sure depending on how much you want to spend, on the cheap a manual burr grinder they're as good as any prograde rancilo or barataz, it just takes a long ass time to manual crank it, but you can adjust your grind size from large to espresso/turkish fine.

Why does grind size matter? you control the flow with grind size, too large a grind and water just flows right through, too fine and you end up with immersion basically french press.

if you don't want to hand grind (trust me, it gets old after a few days), you can either get a 6.5mm socket, put a dab of gorilla glue on it and hammer it in, then attach a drill when you grind, instand $500 grinder, you just have a drill on your kitchen counter. (this is what i did recently, my grinder died, and i've done this to more expensive hario grinders, its just that these new sliver ones are really cheap and great)

Find a good burr grinder, they'll range from $50 to astronomical, and if you're going for a burr grinder.

A basic one to start out is the Krups one for under 40bucks

Whats a step up?, the bodum for that you get a conical burr grinder and an anti static glas container so your coffee grounds don't jump everywhere, it can of course get more expensive from then on, but thats only really for espresso territory, where you need ultra fine adjustments. (or you prefer more features like bigger hopper or a dosser)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users