Coffee Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
i haven't checked out the ode in a while, but if i remember, the burrs that it came with are more interlocking burrs than flat burrs and if you wanted to get even finer than stock, you need to get the ssp burrs

of course then youre asking, if i need to go that fine, then why don't i just goto a more espresso centric grinder?

in the end, it is the "cheapest" zero retention vertical grinder and it looks "beautiful"
ed9ab42d61b1349f544139484a9e8d1f.png

if i didn't see so much buyers remorse (little naggy things) i woulda gotten one (their new v2 stock has updated burrs that are true flat)
since the ode never goes on sale and many ppl report having too many problems w/ grinds going everwhere i decided on the eureka
59acf24812ce17164bcc14c309b29fd3.png

it's also another zero retention w/ flat burrs

yes, i know this is grinder only for drip, haha, it's also quieter than my capresso for now and i was able to snag it on sale for 209 at least.

gonna do this nice knocker mod to the hopper this guy did
893158ccc22084870e06412ae63d043b.png

those sizes should be 1 1/4, i should have one around.

i've seen more stylish etsy single dose hoppers but those go for 60bucks, not interested

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Friends call me a coffee snob for grinding my beans fresh every morning and I’m like, “you have no clue what a true coffee connoisseur is like.”

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Original. I have an old machine with the built in steam wand. I got it for 50% off and it's paid for itself at least 4 times over compared to local coffee shops. I might upgrade one day, but for now we are just drinking master collection and shit. I make lattes, frapps, iced brews, whatever it's fucking great.

Looks like the price went up actually. I paid $200.

This price is fucking insane now. I decided to throw my old machines away and upgrade and was expecting $299-375. The price of this has exploded. Fuck their beans

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
This price is fucking insane now. I decided to throw my old machines away and upgrade and was expecting $299-375. The price of this has exploded. Fuck their beans
that machine uses the original capsules so you can get other guys coffee beans, it's only the new vertuo pods that are nespresso only

• 1Like

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
that machine uses the original capsules so you can get other guys coffee beans, it's only the new vertuo pods that are nespresso only
Meant more as a fuck their ass (I will) and whatever supply chain that raised the price by 2x.

bolok

Molten Core Raider
since the ode never goes on sale and many ppl report having too many problems w/ grinds going everwhere i decided on the eureka
59acf24812ce17164bcc14c309b29fd3.png

it's also another zero retention w/ flat burrs

yes, i know this is grinder only for drip, haha, it's also quieter than my capresso for now and i was able to snag it on sale for 209 at least.

gonna do this nice knocker mod to the hopper this guy did

those sizes should be 1 1/4, i should have one around.

i've seen more stylish etsy single dose hoppers but those go for 60bucks, not interested
Thats... Well bravo for dedication to drip or I hope at least some pour over. I was thinking it was close to what i paid for my Rancilio in 2019- but nah off by ~100 or so. On the other hand looks like what i have went up is up over $420 now. Eesh. Interesting angular look on it tho, if you were going for kitchen aesthetics the ODE looks cooler.

Pretty much gave up on french press/vaccuum/"regular" coffee, at least at home. Too easy to just bang out americano's and less wasted coffee imo. But I get fresh roasted local stuff for like ~$15 for 12oz every week or so, so wasting coffee stings.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Thats... Well bravo for dedication to drip or I hope at least some pour over. I was thinking it was close to what i paid for my Rancilio in 2019- but nah off by ~100 or so. On the other hand looks like what i have went up is up over $420 now. Eesh. Interesting angular look on it tho, if you were going for kitchen aesthetics the ODE looks cooler.

Pretty much gave up on french press/vaccuum/"regular" coffee, at least at home. Too easy to just bang out americano's and less wasted coffee imo. But I get fresh roasted local stuff for like ~$15 for 12oz every week or so, so wasting coffee stings.
the ode does look cooler but way less functional, i've seen reviews where everyone hates the hopper, the catch spreads grinds everywhere and even tho its zero retention, you can't put a good bellows on it and ppl eventually wind up buying spp burrs cuz theyre that much better than the stock ones

i actually went and just got a bellows/hopper for it, instead of the makeshift mod
d8fcd306aeacd5b3313acae4503b4f6d.png

so i guess it'll at least compliment my technovorm

• 1Like

bolok

Molten Core Raider
the ode does look cooler but way less functional, i've seen reviews where everyone hates the hopper, the catch spreads grinds everywhere and even tho its zero retention, you can't put a good bellows on it and ppl eventually wind up buying spp burrs cuz theyre that much better than the stock ones

i actually went and just got a bellows/hopper for it, instead of the makeshift mod
d8fcd306aeacd5b3313acae4503b4f6d.png

so i guess it'll at least compliment my technovorm
Clearly, i haven't kept up with coffee autism. The bellows must be reaching peak levels. Lol. But if yer fractional gram counting with a technovorm. Might as well go all in.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Clearly, i haven't kept up with coffee autism. The bellows must be reaching peak levels. Lol. But if yer fractional gram counting with a technovorm. Might as well go all in.
yea i really didn't care to make sure i get all the coffee grinds out, i just want to make sure there isn't any left behind for the next day

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
have you heard about espresso fluffing yet?
558e12c6f33c92d1f12018deb98ae6df.jpg

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
I stopped weighing my espresso after the first two days. I will say I'm not sure I could ever switch back to coffee but if having 18 grams of espresso versus 17.8 or 18.2 makes a difference I sure as shit can't tell.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Cold brew bros, after several years of waiting for good, disposable, submergible bags to exist the wait is finally over.

I can confirm this does exactly what it says it does. I use 1 3/4 cups of (measured pre-grinding) beans per gallon of water and this bag has plenty of room for all the grounds. The brew is the same as I was getting from my re-usable nut milk bag but there is no clean up. I also make a gallon every 6-8 days so one pack of bags should last me almost 2 years.

bolok

Molten Core Raider
have you heard about espresso fluffing yet?
558e12c6f33c92d1f12018deb98ae6df.jpg
I MAY have, depends how new of a thing this is. I watched the vid you linked about the mod for your grinder and saw something similar, and LOLLED. Although i did figure out what he has doing pretty quickly. I figured it was to minimize the static formed boulders, but still... A good tamping sorts that all out anyway. And trying to force oxygen contact seems counter productive. At a certain level it just becomes superstition and theatre.

Kiki

Log Wizard

Yeah that's nuts. Probably could try a $150 nespresso and buy an electric milk frother separately.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
3pot since yesterday and i can say this grinder is totally worth it, less acidity and smooth

now i can really see by what ppl mean by coffee grinder "flavor profiles"

it's already less noisy and since the motor is so powerful (this grinder is all motor, just imagine that the grinder alone is 15 fucking lbs) it seemingly shoots out grinds in 1/4 the time too.

also opening it up, it looks like i got the upgraded espresso burrs (tho i really can't tell from pics tbh)

i'm not saying i can "taste a hint of lemon and nutmeg" in a bean but i can def taste a decrease of acidity and increase in smoothness

bolok

Molten Core Raider
Lol you are probably drinking your own kool-aid there, but if it was a signifcant jump in grinder quality- either the new grind size suits your taste more or it's significantly more uniform in grind size. Either way, grats. It's always nice when a new toy works out better than expected.