Coffee Thread

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
anyone have this? I've always wanted something similar (the Breville one mostly) and I can get it through work via our reward point system...

I have a Delongi Super Automatic and I like it a lot, it puts a lot of crema in the shots. It's not a purist's choice but the espresso it puts out is fantastic and I usually add some hot water for an Americano.

If I really don't like the beans, I scrape off the Crema with a spoon and it turns bad beans into acceptable ones by removing most of the bitterness.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
This is the one i have. Its awesome, my only regret is not buying one sooner
so apparently my wife had a latte while we were on vacation and now she wants lattes, so while i didn't get the matching milk frother, i just bought whatever 40$ on amazon. it's pretty amazing, heats up the milks and froths in like 5seconds

i bought one with a handle and i think it takes up too much countertop space so i bought a breville milk frother clone, i'll see how that works out.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Kiroy Kiroy and Sadre Spinegnawer Sadre Spinegnawer and any other nespresso dudes?

nespresso dot com is having a sale, buy 8 sleeves get 2 free, use code "THANKYOU2020" or code "THANKYOU20"

they are different codes for different coffees

only good for end of day 10-8

Purchase 8 or more Vertuo sleeves to receive one (1) free sleeve of Caramel Cookie coffee and (1) free sleeve of Elvazio coffee. Code THANKYOU2020. Until 10/8.

Purchase 8 or more Original sleeves to receive one (1) free sleeve of Dharkan coffee and (1) free sleeve of Master Origins Colombia coffee. Code THANKYOU20. Until 10/8.

(i passed cuz i was only interested in kona)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Any suggestions on a good milk frother? Going to start making my own coffee drinks (and probably special 'non-coffee' drinks for the kids) and will use it.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Any suggestions on a good milk frother? Going to start making my own coffee drinks (and probably special 'non-coffee' drinks for the kids) and will use it.
i bought 3, 1 to try, 1 to replace, and then the next day amazon had a lightning deal for 11bucks off, so i had to buy that and returned the other 2 heh.

Milk Frother, VAVA Electric Milk Steamer for Hot and Cold Milk Froth with Double Wall, Strix Control, Non-Stick Interior, Silent Operation for Cappuccino Hot Chocolate, Latte, Coffee

there seems to be many clones of this model on amazon, i like this more b/c i found the one w/ handle to take up countertop space and i like the easy 4 leds to tell me

foam, airy foam, hot milk and cold foam

half a cup of milk (for latte) gets hot and foamy in 5s

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
I subscribed to Trade Coffee recently due to an Amex offer. While the first couple single origins I got were too light/fruity for my taste, they just sent this one today, and I'm really enjoying it.

Those of you who like something smooth and chocolatey will probably like it. It's a bit like Caribou, although with some fruit tones mixed in along with the syrup.

I'd say solid 4/5.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Been trying other espresso blends. Take not I only drink stovetop espresso and turkish coffee black.

Espresso Ratings:
  1. Lavazza Gusto e Crema <- This is cheap and easy to get, great and my number one go to.
  2. Gavina <- tastes slightly better than Gusto but more expensive. Mild taste.
  3. Illy Classico <- tastes okay.The ground is too fine so you have to be careful otherwise your moka pot goes steamwhistle on you.
  4. Illy Espresso <- I can't really tell much of a difference between the two Illys.
  5. Cafe Bustelo Classico <- I always liked this one. Call it nostalgia. But its not remotely as common in Texas as it was in Florida. Unreasonable to buy in many cases.
  6. Cafe Bustelo Black Supreme <- This is supposedly their main espresso blend and I drank the regular Bustelo in Florida for years. But this one tastes disgusting or just really isn't for me.
Turkish Coffee. I got used to this in Iraq and recently started making my own. You need one of these
  1. Kuruaveci Mehmet Efendi Turkish <- very mild taste.
  2. Cafe Najjar w/Cardamom <- This one takes me back as Iraqi coffee always came like this. Extremely bitter but the cardamom makes it pretty awesome.
We'll see if I try any others if I get bored.

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Wife got me a sweet early Valentine's Day surprise. Goodbye semi-auto, hello super-auto!

PXL_20210208_181326150.jpg

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i drink lots of nitro cold brew now, so i was thinking of expanding the way i brew, now the way i currently brew i like, which is putting 6oz of coffee in a big strainer basket
a639d720eb33d76b934e6c62b02613ab.png

and immersing it in a 2l jug,

then when i strain it i sandwich a brew basket filter between 2 huge mixing bowls (theyre cheap just 1$) with the bottoms cut out
3de0873970701cb02915125b04c7dab6.png

i like it, its basically a toddy w/o the annoying stopper and washable filter, after i'm done i just empty everything out into my compost.

problem is it takes up room, and pouring out from the 2l jug into the makeshift huge filter basket is a bit annoying, so i was searching for a better toddy.

i came upon this

i guess the newest way to make cold brew now is to vortex infuse it, but cleanup looks messy and it barely makes 1l of cofffee (i know i'm being silly using litres, but honestly most coffee measurements and recipes and ratios are in litres, so when in rome), and it's not even like concentrate.

i ended up getting this
2e55e73af3b1c33cb9adddf5522f0876.png

it says it holds 2 liters, and what i like is, it has a lever to open the drain and not the silly stopper plug of the toddy, i'll see how it works in a few days.

most of the other ones like the oxo (and similiar) are more interested in making it look "cool"
f79394ffeecaf133fb27bf3a912a103c.png

i mean it looks nice and cute, but it only holds like only .5litres

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
so what do you do w/ a virtually perfect coffee brewer like the moccamaster?

you make it perfecter, lets start with the showerhead
771349008b2c0abc0e9d0911c6f8c821.png

it's nice, but it's a 60year old dated design that does not give you a "flatbed" of grinds at the end, what is this? after youre done brewing, you want it to be as flat as possible, this means you've extracted, and you can test it out with a TDS (no, not that ) meter

737977adac586dfb4c06f90d14f1e14a.png

what? no, this is madness...

no, this is COFFEE!!!

anyway, it's also pretty gay that theres a hashtage #flatbedchallenge

don't click if youre not a neo fufu hair bunn hipster

you can opt to replace your showerhead with a more wider one
88422c2c876382c986bbf8dfcd755f86.png

what i do NOT like about this, is that the cover does not fit

so i opted instead for this insert, which allows your cover to fit over it
d73723261ae5116d54d24ca4b8f46c16.png

yes i know,

coffee is serious business

in other brewing news, i really like that cold brew brewer i got and it is now my preferred method of cold brew rather than my diy method simply because it's more compact, less to wash and no "in-between" step of transfering from brewing container to filter apparatus since it's all in one now.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Which cold press? I'm looking for one that is smaller but still can make a few cups. During the summer I love making coffee drinks w/ booz for a mid-day pick-me-downer.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Which filters do you use?
they want you to use their big bag filter, but i see no need for that, i just use a big spice basket
8230ebd7d5f22d6f935e5d0843b6def0.png

this is just big enough to hold 6oz of grinds for my ratio.

then the final outlet filter is the traditional cloth hockeypuck
8c72f7efeaa21f185492e83ecb01a4f6.png

i don't particularly like these cloth filters and i believe paper filters, filter out the oils anyway (and it's been shown that the oils in coffee are bitter and add nothing to taste), so i wrap a regular paper filter around the cloth hockey puck, so the final brew is basically filtered through water.

i'm gonna experiment soon by just making a hockypuck out of filterpaper w/o the cloth hockeypuck, in this way i can just truly dump everything out into the compost bin, w/o worrying about first taking out the cloth hockey puck.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
What’s the best keurig on the market atm?