Coffee Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
french press, cold brew, k cups, bulletproof, w/e. talk about it here.

split from the fast food thread, here's the last few coffee posts from there

I don't like the coffee from a french press. Too much of the coffee's oil is retained, changing the texture of the drink. Steam is the best way to make coffee.
That said, the stuff I've been drinking this week from the Keurig is not bad. Anyone have favourite keurig cups? I tend to like bold flavours.
Sure fire way to ruin the fast food thread is talk about coffee
No shit, this is supposed to be the unpretentious food thread and this coffee talk is pretentious as fuck. I'm going to have to go make some folgers in my drip machine to get the taste out of my mouth.
I'm no coffee snob by a loooonnng damn ways. I only drink it at work and when I moved into a different position the guys in my new area had a Keurig maker so I started picking up different brands to try. I got some Gevalia's Dark Royal Roast because it was on sale and I've stuck with it ever since. It's fairly bold. I only make the next to largest size cups though, which affects the flavor intensity.

I always hated their damn commercials though.
Do you faggots apply your mustache wax before or after you brew a cup of coffee from your french presses?

Get yourself a fireplace and drink coffee like a fucking man...

Amazon.com: Granite Ware 6006-1 3-Quart Coffee Boiler: Kitchen Dining

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
hey i'm a warrior not a necromancer, i wasn't going to rez that old ass thread

fris

Blackwing Lair Raider
it hasn't been touched in 2 years. if there's current discussion, makes sense to merg the threads. i'll throw out some discussion points as 2 friends at work are pretty hard core coffee snobs

i prefer (or just used to) folgers through a 12cup drip. but one of the best cups i've ever had was at Trulucks, they bring a small french press to the table, i give my family the stink eye if they ever want any. some info that my friends gave me has me thinking

i've heard that you don't want pure water for coffee. if your water is over filtered, it will draw things you don't want from the beans. i use a basic fridge filter for our coffee. i have a RODI water filter that sends out between 1-3 tds water, maybe i'll try that some morning.

temp and style. drip makers only pure water over the grinds whereas a percolator or french press has coffee in constant contact w/ the beans. i've heard the ph difference of coffee vs just water can again, pull different things from the beans. additionally, drips aren't that hot, the coffee needs to sit in the pot a bit to raise to what most prefer in temperature. espresso machines and percs have a much hotter water in contact w/ the beans. one of my friends only drinks latte's as he describes, you want between 18-21 seconds of contact of hot water and the beans at some temp that i forgot. you then want to cool the coffee so the oils don't break down, thus dripping espresso into warmed milk. coffee above a certain temp for too long will break down teh oils, thus why a rewarmed cup of coffee always tastes like ass.

the times i've had k-cup type coffee, i've never been impressed. but then my go-to is folgers morning, just black.

another friend told me that some Starbucks have what's called a clover press? similar to a french press, and they will brew w/ whatever special beans they have on teh spot. been meaning to try that sometime. i get more starbucks gift cards though work than i can use, might as well.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
i've heard that you don't want pure water for coffee. if your water is over filtered, it will draw things you don't want from the beans.
Not over filtered, just do NOT use distilled water. Filtered or bottled water is fine/great since it still has the minerals, it gives balance or some shit to the extraction. Since distilled water is pure H2o, there's no minerals or nuttin so there's no mineral balance and you end up with a bitter cup somehow, so in short just say no to distilled water.

(ppl use distilled water b/c they hate seeing the white/calcium build up in machines)

another friend told me that some Starbucks have what's called a clover press? similar to a french press, and they will brew w/ whatever special beans they have on teh spot. been meaning to try that sometime. i get more starbucks gift cards though work than i can use, might as well.
the starbucks clover press is just a temp/time controlled french press that will stop the beans from extracting (or over extracting), by pulling them out, it's really closer to this brewer for tea really.
Amazon.com: Breville BTM800XL One-Touch Tea Maker: Electric Hot Tea Machines: Kitchen Dining

Izo

Tranny Chaser
tumblr_m76yerXstP1r4gei2o1_400.gif

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
The original coffee thread might be old, but it has tons of great information in it.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Can't not have a coffee thread, it didn't get much love on RR but it had some good info

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I know this was gone over on the old homestead but can anyone tell me if some of these cheap $30-$50 cold brew kits are worth it? They seem kind of 'simple'.

I tried a prefab bottle of it they had on sale at Costco and it's pretty good, a lot less acidy but still pretty strong. I just don't know if I can get this quality out of the cheapo home equipment.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
I know this was gone over on the old homestead but can anyone tell me if some of these cheap $30-$50 cold brew kits are worth it? They seem kind of 'simple'.

I tried a prefab bottle of it they had on sale at Costco and it's pretty good, a lot less acidy but still pretty strong. I just don't know if I can get this quality out of the cheapo home equipment.
what do you mean by cheap cold brew kits? do you just mean the product?

The number 1 most recommened cold brew device is the toddy
http://amzn.to/2aKFy57
Mainly b/c its the first one, also maybe because it uses paper filters to make a "smoother" drink

The new hotness seems to be this oxo these days, b/c well it just looks better than the cheap ass toddy
http://amzn.to/2aMN1h2

i have a hario and it's great, what i like about it, is it's slim and takes up zero space in my fridge. i drink the concentrate straight tho, so it's like BAM! but you really need good beans b/c it will bring out the best and if it's there the worst flavors.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yep the beans are key the equipment is pretty secondary and you can probably make a good cup out of any of them if the beans are good and you have the right ratio of water to coffee. Speaking of Cold Brew this may be heresy but I am really enjoying the Vanilla Sweet Cream Cold brew from Starbucks, and the fact I can get it in a Trenta makes it all that much better.

Falwell

Who loves ya baby?
Tried Caribou coffee this weekend
Amazon.com : Caribou Coffee Mahogany Whole Bean, 12 Ounce Bag : Grocery & Gourmet Food

They're the same roasters as Peets, eh not as fully bodied as my current number one Don Pablo
Amazon.com : Cafe Don Pablo Gourmet Coffee Medium-Dark Roast Whole Bean, Colombian Supremo, 2 Pound : Grocery & Gourmet Food

Tho, i miss their city roast, i think i'll try that again.

Caribou is legit. Their Obsidian is on fucking point. It's a good dark roast with just a very, very slight touch of dark chocolate to it. It is stellar.

benjamin

Trakanon Raider
Death Wish Coffee Company and Black Rifle Coffee Company are worth a look if you like strong roasts. Black Rifle is veteran owned in addition to being good coffee.

Falwell, the Obsidian looks like a good coffee. Think I'll give it a try!

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Wife bought death wish, too bitter for me, looking forward to getting through this shit and getting more Don pablo or whatever lanx recommended

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Death Wish Coffee Company and Black Rifle Coffee Company are worth a look if you like strong roasts. Black Rifle is veteran owned in addition to being good coffee.

Falwell, the Obsidian looks like a good coffee. Think I'll give it a try!
I too didn't like Death Wish much, it was the package with the big skull and bones. I mean it def was not dank, we're talking 0.5 rating difference, imo.

I think a nice cheap grinder many of you should try is this
Amazon.com: Manual Coffee Grinder with Ceramic Burr - High Quality Hand Coffee Burr Hand Coffee Mill with Precision Conical Burr, Adjustable, Portable, Stainless Steel, Slim Design By All One Tech: Kitchen & Dining

It's some chinese offbrand, the cheapest i've gotten it for is 7bucks, quick search seems to be 10bucks the cheapest. Why do i recommend this? it's as good as my hario grinders, i have both hario skerton and minimills and the grinder from this off brand is just as good, and i find it easier to use and adjust and clean compared to the harios

I have 2 laying around, one is for pepper, i've never had such nicely ground pepper b4, and the other i have for various spices. Sure i have an old blade grinder for spices, but not anymore these are easier to use and less hassle, and with mountains of levels of adjustments.

Anyway the reason why i think you guys should try this is, it'll give you the same type of ultra precise grind as you would get from a 600$ Baratz, just put a bit of elbow grease into it. (of course its not recommended for everyday, your arm would fall off, with that, i do have my hario skerton modified to accept a regular drill bit and let my drill do the work)

Blakkheim

Karazhan Raider
Anyone have any specialty/local type coffee roasters (non-chain) that they would recommend that you can order their beans online? I'm always looking for rare and unusual roasts and blends wherever I can find them any time I go on a road trip anywhere.