College Basketball 2017-2018 Season

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider

Yup... We expected as much, especially after ND football ruling the other week. I was surprised that we only owe the NCAA less than $1mil per UL President Post-hole (Postel) and AD Tyra. So no court for us since it wouldn't be worth it.

It is what it is. Crazy how these types of actions would be the cause for the first vacancy of a title however. Will be interesting what happens with the NCAA and Baylor (or Mich St. If things there were actively being hidden) where substantially more egregious actions took place with potential administration being involved with cover-ups.

Next stop is Brian Bowen situation. Oh it's fun being a fan sometimes... Huge take-away is to never be honest and never cooperate with the NCAA in the slightest. Also make sure if you do something against the rules that you allow for regular student participation.

Last edited:

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Yup... We expected as much, especially after ND football ruling the other week. I was surprised that we only owe the NCAA less than $1mil per UL President Post-hole (Postel) and AD Tyra. So no court for us since it wouldn't be worth it.

It is what it is. Crazy how these types of actions would be the cause for the first vacancy of a title however. Will be interesting what happens with the NCAA and Baylor (or Mich St. If things there were actively being hidden) where substantially more egregious actions took place with potential administration being involved with cover-ups.

Next stop is Brian Bowen situation. Oh it's fun being a fan sometimes... Huge take-away is to never be honest and never cooperate with the NCAA in the slightest. Also make sure if you do something against the rules that you allow for regular student participation.

Why the NCAA isn't going to punish Baylor

It's over. Move on.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Today has been an interesting day to say the least. The first Yahoo Sports! article this morning, and now we two new ones late tonight. Sean Miller is fucked... Tonight's article (below) is quite the read! Welcome to the club of misery everyone, we (Louisville) had fun, now it is time for everyone else. We have beer, bourbon, and cocktails ready for you all at the door!

Black market diaries: Emails in hoops corruption case detail inner workings of sport's underbelly

As an Arizona fan, fuck my life.

As an objective college basketball fan, this shit is just starting and the whole house of cards is coming down. Anyone that has followed recruiting even from afar knows that every recruit is getting paid by every school.

I'm sad it's happening, but I'm even more sad that my team happens to be in the biggest shit pot right at this very moment. I'm just waiting for the rest of the city to burn so my little burnt down hut doesn't look as bad next to the charred ashes of the entire NCAA.

Drakurii

Golden Baron of the Realm
Jesus just saw this scandal on the news, at what point does college athletics get rid of the NCAA and just pay the fucking athletes that are generating the billions

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Jesus just saw this scandal on the news, at what point does college athletics get rid of the NCAA and just pay the fucking athletes that are generating the billions

This is the only answer.

This has been going on for years and EVERYONE knows it. I'm not condoning it, nor do I necessarily like it, but the idea that Arizona is the only team doing this? No.

Anyone with a 5-star player in the last 20 years should be very concerned about whether they connected to a payout or not. Duke has consistently pulled in top 5 classes year after year after year, I suppose that's because of their reputation? LOL!

Drakurii

Golden Baron of the Realm
These Universities are fucking crazy for putting themselves thru this shit, there isn't anything the NCAA does that they cannot do for themselves. It's absolutely shameful for the kids that will not go on to play pro ball and help generate billions and can't take a dime. Burn it all fucking down i say and build it back with a system that works for all parties involved.

• 1Solidarity

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
These Universities are fucking crazy for putting themselves thru this shit, there isn't anything the NCAA does that they cannot do for themselves. It's absolutely shameful for the kids that will not go on to play pro ball and help generate billions and can't take a dime. Burn it all fucking down i say and build it back with a system that works for all parties involved.

Agree.

Amateurism is dead.

Nevermind the fact that none of this would be happening if not for the one-and-done rule. These kids should be going straight to the league to begin with.

• 1Solidarity

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I feel like this year has a decent shot for 1-3 seeds to be knocked off in the first round. Schools like Xavier and Villanova are projected #1 seeds despite the fact I've seen them both lose to a very "meh" Providence team that was extremely lucky not to lose to some awful teams like Brown and Stony Brook. Lots of parity this year.

My Alma Mater Iona is projected as a 16 or 15. If they legit are a 16 seed that might well be the best chance we have had in a long time for a 16 to beat a one. Sure they will rightly be underdogs and are not as good as some of the best recent Iona teams that had Scott Machado and others. But I feel like a team with an RPI about 100 that can shoot and put up tons of points could absolutely at least have a shot at beating most of the top teams this year.

I would not be surprised at all if PC knocks off Nova tonight in BE title game.

Watching the Rhode Island vs St joes now and I gotta admit the way URI has stumbled to end the year is making me nervous, hence i really hope we can win the A-10 Tourny again to regain momentum. We bizarrely lost a huge blow out on senior night at home vs the same St joes team we are playing now tho.. Hopefully mist and other Rhode Island members are supporting our teams!

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just as i wrote that last post UCONN fires Ollie. Amazing considering they won a national championship a whole 4 years ago..

Whats interesting is it's "with cause" so it's good in a sense in that it could save UCONN the 10 million, bad in a sense it would seem to indicate the NCAA case against them is serious and could result in some nasty sanctions.

Media is already reporting Hurley will be the main choice once URI gets eliminated in the tourney. I honestly don't know if he will be super interested in UCONN or not. Hopefully not because we have a great recruiting class coming in. Everyone i know says Hurley will only leave for a school that an compete for national championships and get 5 star recruits regularly. As early as 3 years ago i would say UCONN would clearly be in that group.. But they have fallen pretty hard recently and possible Tourny bans/scholarship lost could be an issue.

Personally as someone who's watched nearly all URI games over the past two decades i think Hurley is a bti overrated. He has done a few things really well however but his team have some of the same glaring weakness year in and out.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
I don't think the NCAA violations against Ollie are that bad, the school was just desperate to get out of his contract. After the bad taste from the Diaco fiasco with football the school couldn't afford another giant buy out for shit performance. The state's fiscal crisis hasn't helped.

I think the 2014 Championship says a lot more about how good Calhoun was than, Ollie being an amazing coach. That championship was won by Calhoun's recruits, and if wasn't for boatright staying one more season to try and fill his College resume for the pro's the fall wouldv'e been harder and faster. I will give Ollie credit for keeping the team from falling apart in 2013 prior to the amazing run, but that's it.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Some decent games to start off the tourney last night. It's amazing how much of the media expected UCLA to beat the Bonnies. Bonaventure has 1 game over it's past 20 or so. UCLA was always mediocre this year. But i guess even people in the sports media are just picking based on school names.

My two colleges URI and Iona are somehow in the same pod for the 2nd year in a row. URI vs OK is the first game on Thursday actually, I think we sorta lucked out with that one as OK has been miserable for the past 2 months or so. Still, URI has not been playing great recently so i'm not as confident as i would have been a couple weeks ago even though OK looks like a very good matchup on paper.

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Some decent games to start off the tourney last night. It's amazing how much of the media expected UCLA to beat the Bonnies. Bonaventure has 1 game over it's past 20 or so. UCLA was always mediocre this year. But i guess even people in the sports media are just picking based on school names.

My two colleges URI and Iona are somehow in the same pod for the 2nd year in a row. URI vs OK is the first game on Thursday actually, I think we sorta lucked out with that one as OK has been miserable for the past 2 months or so. Still, URI has not been playing great recently so i'm not as confident as i would have been a couple weeks ago even though OK looks like a very good matchup on paper.

OU doesn't even belong in the trounament. Hopefully Rhode Island does us all a favor and sends them home where they belong.

• 1Like

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah i agree.

Rhode Island strength is turnovers, and defending the three. They have about 6 really strong, athletic, guards that would start on most teams. Almost all of them are plus defenders so in theory it's about as good a matchup as i could have hoped for. I don't think OU has a bunch of really good, tall, athletic wings/bigs like the teams that gave us issues.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
OU doesn’t belong for sure, but it could be an unlucky draw. They have been playing like garbage, but they have a pretty high ceiling

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
URI up 7 with 7 mins to go..

We were down 8 early in the second half have gone on a nice run here. I just hope we can hold on.

edit; OT now, Rhode Island had an open put back they missed at end of regulation that should have won it. I have a bad feeling we will wind up losing as we can't shoot free throws

Last edited:

Kaines

Potato Supreme
URI does the nation a favor. We should give them a parade for this win alone.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Rhode Island baby!

Trae Youngs brand has tanked TREMENDOUSLY since the start of 2018.

Just before Christmas people were ordaining him the next Steph Curry, who will be one and done, a top 3 draft pick, the next rising star of the pull up from 40 type player who is lethal from long distance and is dishing out assists at a historic rate.

Then OU turned into a dumpster fire and he went on to shoot 31%! from 3 from Jan until they just flamed out of the NCAA tournament they should have never been in. So much for the Trae Young show. Fucking sad. He needs to get a haircut and gain 20 lbs,and maybe NBA GMS will take him serious again and he can retain some of his draft stock. But to me, he doesnt look like the heir apparent to anything. He has great vision, but he looks to be a streaky shooter (think a smaller, worse defensive version of Garry Harris) and might not even be a top 10 pick now.

• 1Like