College Football 2016-2017 Season

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
No question, though I'd argue that figure would be higher (slightly smaller than it was in the NBA) - to some degree talent is latent, especially at a professional level. Most Duke players aren't playing in the NBA now either and they've been groomed for years by the USMNT coach. That said, that "grooming" "coaching" "training" etc is all well and good, and necessary in many cases, but is not remotely proportional to the income the schools are generating from those kids, not anymore anyways. Like, watch the draft this year - there will be more than a handful of kids playing at small schools who get drafted extremely high based on their size. Speed. Measurables. In fact, a pro team will draft a kid who doesn't even match what they need on the off chance they can groom him to fit their system (I'm looking at you Rams/Browns) because of his talent.

I get asked all the time (especially the past few weeks) if I'm going to see Okie State in the Alamo Bowl. I always look at the guy asking like he's a retard - Sounds great! Lets go watch a team who shit their way into an okay bowl in a city that smells like piss (and full of soon to be deportees) to watch Gundy shit himself on a National Level (again) in a game that has zero bearing on recruiting, perception, or ranking (final rankings outside of #1 shouldn't matter to anybody) - next season, Okie State will be ranked like 20-30 like always, climb to 10 or so and shit themselves all over again. Meanwhile, Okie State makes millions off this shit-stain cycle, people shell out thousands for season tickets (lol), and the cycle repeats for ever. Change Okie State with OU and there will be a natty thrown in every 5 years. Nothing ever changes - FUCK I NEED A DRINK

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
The percentage of High School kids large enough and with actual talent to play in the NFL would be absurdly small.

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
That said, that "grooming" "coaching" "training" etc is all well and good, and necessary in many cases, but is not remotely proportional to the income the schools are generating from those kids

I mean, I for sure understand what you're saying but isn't that any business on the planet? A really good employee could be implementing policies or technology, etc that are massively generating incoming either directly or indirectly and are not going to be paid commensurately. You get your paycheck (an education), you do your job (play football) and if you do enough right you get promoted (NFL) while your company makes money hand over fist.

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
I mean, I for sure understand what you're saying but isn't that any business on the planet? A really good employee could be implementing policies or technology, etc that are massively generating incoming either directly or indirectly and are not going to be paid commensurately. You get your paycheck (an education), you do your job (play football) and if you do enough right you get promoted (NFL) while your company makes money hand over fist.

Most companies don't make money off the likeness of their employees. Jersey sales, video games, promotional posters, television ratings, etc etc. It is not only the school that profits, but espn, nbc, fox, cbs.

Most companies have some form of bonus structure. What kind of bonus do you get if you are responsible for 740 million in profit like Johnny Manziel was? Cause that dude got zero dollars, but built a new stadium.

• 1Solidarity

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I kinda agree with Springbok. CFB is a shit show right now. Everyone talks about the integrity of the game and that bullshit, but it is ridiculous. I saw a study recently that none of these football players actually use the degrees they get if they wash out of the NFL. Also, black athletes graduate at a worse rate than their non-athlete counterparts so it seems like the system really is a huge pile of bullshit. As much as I love my school and its athletics programs, I really wish we could just decouple college and amateur athletics and let the system work itself out with junior and minor leagues. Athletes should be focusing on their sport if they want to make it into the big leagues. They shouldn't be worrying about bullshit classes, capped practice times, and uncertain futures with their chosen coaches. Likewise, the colleges shouldn't be spending all sorts of money on athletics that they never see a return on.

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
I agree with almost all points by you guys but to play Devil's Advocate - let's be real here, even if they never used those Communications degrees what % of those kids do you think would even make it to college? It's a shit system to be sure that basically propels these guys through their classes for the most part but college, on the whole, needs a reform. Not just the athletics.

Also some of the finances - "Total revenue for the 50 public schools in the Power Five conferences rose by $304 million in 2015, but spending rose by $332 million from the year before, according to a USA TODAY Sports analysis of financial information that schools annually report to the NCAA. At the 178 public schools in Division I conferences outside the Power Five, revenue increased by $199 million, but spending rose by $218 million."

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I agree with almost all points by you guys but to play Devil's Advocate - let's be real here, even if they never used those Communications degrees what % of those kids do you think would even make it to college? It's a shit system to be sure that basically propels these guys through their classes for the most part but college, on the whole, needs a reform. Not just the athletics.

Also some of the finances - "Total revenue for the 50 public schools in the Power Five conferences rose by $304 million in 2015, but spending rose by $332 million from the year before, according to a USA TODAY Sports analysis of financial information that schools annually report to the NCAA. At the 178 public schools in Division I conferences outside the Power Five, revenue increased by $199 million, but spending rose by $218 million."

Not seeing the article but in all the previous year's that have been published you have to really see a breakdown between sport vs. revenue and athletic department vs. school. So many Football or Basketball programs completely subsidize every other sport that spending totals can look funky. Then you have other programs that pay money back to the schools and vice versa for smaller ones. It's a convoluted mess.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I see what you're saying Spring, I was coming from the angle that it would just suck for the fans of college football.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Fans of college football and $$$ are not going anywhere, ask Phil.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I see what you're saying Spring, I was coming from the angle that it would just suck for the fans of college football.

No doubt bro, and I get that. If I wasn't okie state I'd be less easily swayed. All that said, I'm still eagerly awaiting washingtons upset of Bama next week!

• 1Like

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Miami Dline is seriously good. Cant hold a team to 0 first downs in the 1st Q with like 5 possessions at midfield and only get 7 points. Oh well, glad Skylar Howard is fucking gone, whiny little cunt

• 1Cutler

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Holy shit there was just an extremely bombed call in the Arkansas/VAtech game. Play called dead when the ball was loose from a fumble and given to the team that didn't come up with it.

And the rule states for an inadvertent whistle that the team who immediately recovers it gets the ball... which didn't happen.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah that was bad - why the hell did they blow the whistle so quick to begin with?