College Football 2016-2017 Season

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Really just need to expand the CFP to 8 teams so the teams can play it out and not hedge on inconsistent committee metrics

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That is the beauty behind my idea, no more metrics or trying to argue about which conference is best. Win your conference and you are in plus it is an 8 team playoff without adding extra games.

You don't win you conference, fuck off.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
That is the beauty behind my idea, no more metrics or trying to argue about which conference is best. Win your conference and you are in plus it is an 8 team playoff without adding extra games.

You don't win you conference, fuck off.

What if
8-4 UCLA is in but 10-2 Michigan is out?

That would be good for the game.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
LSU moving up 8 spots after beating Arkansas... Clemson should be #3 and Michigan #4, but yet again, committee lacks any form of consistency. WVU should also be ranked better. Tennessee moving to #19 after a win over powerhouse Kentucky?

I didn't expect us to really change, but my god, this committee is a bunch of idiots. "Michigan has more wins over CFP top 15 teams..." - Committee Chair. Well yea, you fucks put those teams there when you jumped Penn St. from unranked to #12 w/ a Ohio St. win, and having Wiscy ranked top 15 with wins over mediocre LSU and overranked Nebraska and struggles over Georgia State. OU ranked #9 with wins over #21 TCU and no other ranked teams, but got their asses kicked by Houston & OSU.

60114268.jpg

Last edited:

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Michigan and Clemson are really interchangeable and the spots don't matter except for hype for the OSU/UM game. Though if you wanna get technical Michigan has 3 top ten wins and their loss was on the road while Clemson's game was at home. Doesn't matter in the end.

No love for Western Michigan Broncos even though they remain undefeated. Hopefully after Toledo they will get a bit of love.

Gonna be interesting to see who is in the top 4 if Michigan loses to OSU. Bama, OSU, Clemson... then who? UL, Penn State/Wisconsin, or Washington.

• 1Like

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
Michigan and Clemson are really interchangeable and the spots don't matter except for hype for the OSU/UM game. Though if you wanna get technical Michigan has 3 top ten wins and their loss was on the road while Clemson's game was at home. Doesn't matter in the end.

No love for Western Michigan Broncos even though they remain undefeated. Hopefully after Toledo they will get a bit of love.

Gonna be interesting to see who is in the top 4 if Michigan loses to OSU. Bama, OSU, Clemson... then who? UL, Penn State/Wisconsin, or Washington.

I agree, pretty interchangeable. However, Michigan has how many away (outside the state) wins, one? The propping up of the Big10 is really fucked up. Michigan and OSU, I have no issues as their rankings are very warranted, but the sudden rankings of Penn St. and Wisconsin? WTF?

Also, I love how Galloway kept talking about our "close wins." Um, has he seen other team's close wins? OSU by 3 over Northwestern, Mich. over Mich. St by 9. He even brought up our "bad win" against Wake Forest last week when the score at the end was 44-12. Then you have this:
Lville “close games”
Avg margin of victory:
Mich 33.5
Lville 29.3
Bama 29.0

Games by < 10 pts
Mich - 3
OSU - 3
Lville - 1

• 1Like

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Well its clear the committee is favoring head to head wins as very important this season. Wisconsin has been solid all season but I do agree Penn State popped up out of no where after the OSU win.

I see the argument of outside the state wins and I do agree it doesn't do Michigan any favors, though its not like we scheduled cupcakes and our 2nd biggest rival is in state. We were supposed to have Notre Dame scheduled for years until they backed out of it (not like that matters because they suck now) but it isn't completely intentional. So due to a scheduling conflict and its our 'easy year' it looks bad for us. Next year we go to Wisconsin, Penn State, Indiana, and a neutral site (Texas) game vs Florida and we have OSU/MSU at home.

Really though our toughest game of the season that could go either way is on the road, so I feel like the whole outside of the state argument is null once it happens.

• 1Like

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
Well its clear the committee is favoring head to head wins as very important this season. Wisconsin has been solid all season but I do agree Penn State popped up out of no where after the OSU win.

I see the argument of outside the state wins and I do agree it doesn't do Michigan any favors, though its not like we scheduled cupcakes and our 2nd biggest rival is in state. We were supposed to have Notre Dame scheduled for years until they backed out of it (not like that matters because they suck now) but it isn't completely intentional. So due to a scheduling conflict and its our 'easy year' it looks bad for us. Next year we go to Wisconsin, Penn State, Indiana, and a neutral site (Texas) game vs Florida and we have OSU/MSU at home.

Really though our toughest game of the season that could go either way is on the road, so I feel like the whole outside of the state argument is null once it happens.

Our OOC next year sucks once again, but 2018 is a great one. We play Alabama, but sadly, Lamar Jackson will likely be gone and we'll be starting a fresh QB again.

I however do have to somewhat disagree w/ you regarding Wisconsin. They barely beat Georgia State, and only have wins over LSU and Nebraska (who I am trying to figure out how they were ranked highly to begin with, only "good" win they have is Oregon and a close win against IU). So I cannot view them as being solid all season with their resume, especially with being completely and utterly destroyed by OSU.

Basically, the committee is telegraphing that they want 2 Big10 teams in this year. Seems pretty apparent with how Big10 teams keep miraculously being added to top rankings weekly to bolster the OSU & Mich resume. But yet again, I don't expect us in at the end and really never have. We've vastly exceeded my expectations for this year and I'll be damn happy w/ a NY Bowl and a Hesiman winner. I'm more arguing the case that the committee is fucking terrible at their jobs and that atleast the BCS Computer system didn't have inherited subjective bias (as it isn't made up of conference-affiliated people). Do a BSC computer metric w/ 4 teams and call it a day.

Either way, please beat OSU just for spite

Last edited:

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I know I've done this in years past, but since we have the same arguments every year at this time I might as well regurgitate the best system out there. The D2 playoffs which is what D1 should evolve over time to which pretty much emulates college basketball.

Bowl games are just for history sponsors etc and are plain retarded, D1 SHOULD be like this. Top 4 gets a bye, higher seeded teams get to play on their home fields to start the playoffs making rankings/regular season etc important.....expanding to a true playoff with more teams will help alleviate the ranking/conference bias, helps teams who have early injuries/losses etc.
I mean, March Madness isnt exciting at all right?? But hey the fucking Raycom Media Cammellia Bowl this year will be fan-fucking-tastic football Im sure.

Division II Football Championship

• 1Like

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
This is what concerns me...

When asking the CFP why Oklahoma is ranked so high they stated that their win over WV helped... The problem is, Oklahoma hasn't played WV, Okie St. has. So you basically have a CFP committee that cannot even get matchups correct. When the media-guy corrected the CFP, they then stated "well, it's because they have a great offense and have won their last 7 games." So we are now judging teams for "great offenses?"

• 1Solidarity

radditsu

This is what concerns me...

When asking the CFP why Oklahoma is ranked so high they stated that their win over WV helped... The problem is, Oklahoma hasn't played WV, Okie St. has. So you basically have a CFP committee that cannot even get matchups correct. When the media-guy corrected the CFP, they then stated "well, it's because they have a great offense and have won their last 7 games." So we are now judging teams for "great offenses?"

They have never, nor will ever have any idea how to properly rank a non undefeated team, because there is no real metric in doing so. Because until fucking hindsight at the end of the CFB season you really do not know how good any team is. So all this dog and pony show is useless until after Championship games.

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's still about a million times better than the BCS. I have been hoping for an 8 team playoff as soon as it was announced. This year really shows that.

radditsu

It's still about a million times better than the BCS. I have been hoping for an 8 team playoff as soon as it was announced. This year really shows that.

I think the 4 team system has been really well done so far. The thing we ultimately run into is the amount of games played per year gets to be the same as the professionals. Plus they have school, and recruiting season and all that. They would need to run the season a week earlier, which isn't horrible all things considered.

• 1Solidarity

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I think the next logical step would be for say, The Big 12 to go away and be absorbed into the 4 other conferences. Then you could legitimately just put each conference champ into a 4-team playoff, with the conference championship games functioning as a quasi 8 team playoff.

The two Oklahomas to the SEC, All 4 Texas schools to the Pac 12, Big 10 takes Iowa St & Kstate, ACC takes kansas, West Virginia(gg basketball conference). Gets the remaining 4 conferences to 16 teams apiece.

The problem here is mostly Kstate and Iowa St. I dont think the B10 would want them, nor would any other P5 conference really. Texas Tech and Baylor aren't very appealing to anyone either, but as a package with the other Texas schools it's doable.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It is unlikely Texas will move to the PAC12. It is now looking more and more like BIG 10, maybe ACC.