Comcast Agrees to Buy Time Warner Cable

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
The problem is a change in usage of the average user causing a reduction of oversell ratio, with customer ignorance to the increase in costs involved with this change.
Bullshit. IPS have known foryearsthat usage was trending upwards. It isn't as though usage suddenly doubled overnight. This has been a slowly building storm, yet through their ignorance, laziness, and most of all their greed, they are realizing their current infrastructure isn't "sustainable". Rather than rightfully see this as their fault, they try to pass it off as thecustomer'signorance.

As a "micro-ISP", of course my data is anecdotal. However, it is in no means niche.
How many customers do you service?

Remit_sl

shitlord
Don't be a shit. Maybe if other companies had their infrastructure subsidized by state and local governments in the way that Verizon did they would find it easier to put out their own infrastructure. The infrastructure is an investment, which was paid for in part by taxpayers. I really don't understand what your point is with that.
Which they arent doing anymore, as pretty much all funding is going to schools and rural. That was my point. Yeah the FCC was fucking stupid with their first waves of funding. Now ISPs report coverage, and those maps are used to determine funding. See:Mapping | Connected Nation

Remit_sl

shitlord
Bullshit. IPS have known foryearsthat usage was trending upwards. It isn't as though usage suddenly doubled overnight. This has been a slowly building storm, yet through their ignorance, laziness, and most of all their greed, they are realizing their current infrastructure isn't "sustainable". Rather than rightfully see this as their fault, they try to pass it off as thecustomer'signorance.

How many customers do you service?
Of course. It grew 10 fold over a span of 3 years, and will continue that trend. I dont think I would have saved hundreds of millions during an economic crash in anticipation of a usage boom unmatched to date for infrastructure upgrades. Pay more and I bet you will get built out. Even I saw it coming, but that doesnt change the cost of infrastructure vs return.

I serve enough to make a living.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Sorry if this was answered before. Remit, if it's too expensive to provide faster internet to cities, why are other countries (France, South Korea etc) increasing their speeds while increasing their penetration?

Remit_sl

shitlord
Sorry if this was answered before. Remit, if it's too expensive to provide faster internet to cities, why are other countries (France, South Korea etc) increasing their speeds while increasing their penetration?
My guess would be due to their density, cost of infrastructure is significantly lower. Government funding is probably directed at those areas (as opposed to a focus on rural in America), and possibly content blocking of things like Hulu and Netflix. However, I do not know much about other countries internet service, only smaller countries that are mostly behind the US (3rd world WISPs, small pockets of larger countries, etc).

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Since 2004 when my local cable company was bought by the biggest ISP in the country, I've been paying 12$ / month for my internet (from 2 mbps up to 100 mbps over the years).

They've launched a 1gbps service last year in all major cities for 18$/month. There's no caps, no throttling, no shaping. Everyone around here torrents everything or streams from free websites. Some websites are pretty well done and don't seem to server any malware or shit like that so I'm not sure how they're making a profit but with the speed we get I'd rather torrent everything (I use about 1tb down / 1.5tb up a month).

They have a monopoly on internet/cable in over 70% of the country and yet they invest in infrastructure and their service is impeccable. I get more blackouts than internet outages.

For example for about 50$ you can max out everything and by that I mean 1gbps internet, max number of cable channels (~150 with 30-40 of them HD, HBO and other premium), landline (no clue about the prices), mobile plan (1500 international minutes, 5gb traffic, ~0.35 cents(not dollars) / minute after), 3g sim+stick (another 5gb traffic that throttles after).

For comparison Romania has a population density of 218 people / square mile (population of 23m if anyone is wondering), US has 83.69 people / square mile.

Remit_sl

shitlord
Since 2004 when my local cable company was bought by the biggest ISP in the country, I've been paying 12$ / month for my internet (from 2 mbps up to 100 mbps over the years).

They've launched a 1gbps service last year in all major cities for 18$/month. There's no caps, no throttling, no shaping. Everyone around here torrents everything or streams from free websites. Some websites are pretty well done and don't seem to server any malware or shit like that so I'm not sure how they're making a profit but with the speed we get I'd rather torrent everything (I use about 1tb down / 1.5tb up a month).

They have a monopoly on internet/cable in over 70% of the country and yet they invest in infrastructure and their service is impeccable. I get more blackouts than internet outages.

For example for about 50$ you can max out everything and by that I mean 1gbps internet, max number of cable channels (~150 with 30-40 of them HD, HBO and other premium), landline (no clue about the prices), mobile plan (1500 international minutes, 5gb traffic, ~0.35 cents(not dollars) / minute after), 3g sim+stick (another 5gb traffic that throttles after).

For comparison Romania has a population density of 218 people / square mile (population of 23m if anyone is wondering), US has 83.69 people / square mile.
The torrents is probably the only confusing thing about this, but that would require a little more analysis.

My guess is, Romania owns the internal "backbone", and so within country transport is uncapped and unlimited and is completely subsidized. Outside content transport probably the only place where costs are incurred.

This would be an awesome in a perfect world, but in America it doesnt work like that.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Nope, they own their shit (I remember when they had to pull the fiber from the telephone polls and bury it because the state owned landline provider made a fuss).

Also that 1gbps speed isn't limited within the country

3306102968.png

I go over 100 mbps even with some servers in the US but there's to many to check right now. I get 50-800 mbps in all of Europe.

Remit_sl

shitlord
Nope, they own their shit (I remember when they had to pull the fiber from the telephone polls and bury it because the state owned landline provider made a fuss).

Also that 1gbps speed isn't limited within the country

3306102968.png

I go over 100 mbps even with some servers in the US but there's to many to check right now. I get 50-800 mbps in all of Europe.
EDIT: I misread. I bet it is still subsidized.

They probably have a Europe interconnect agreement. And I have no doubt that you would get fast speeds, but I would bet money that they throttle it heavily to the US or elsewhere

Or, romania is amazing.

Remit_sl

shitlord
I download 8-16gb 1080 movies so that's about 5 netflix streams, right ?
Are there content blocks for external streaming? Shit I think hulu even blocks within the US, or at least I know they used to on PS3's and Verizon until they made apps.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Rural is probably her disconnect with you Remit she's always working on and at major hubs. Hubs are always going to be in population centers with diminishing returns as you move outwards. That's how any engineering is going to work I'd imagine.

Now how rural is also a matter - VA has amazing rural coverage for example - 80% won't fall under the rural but poor infrastructure criteria. Honestly I'd bet it's closer to 30-40% of territory, probably 5% of population.

PS Tried to buzz a local ISP Quantum that I used to sub to in Carroll County back when broadband was new, and he's "out for a meeting" - making me wonder if it's you.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I download 8-16gb 1080 movies so that's about 5 netflix streams, right ?
That's more like 50 streams! How does it feel, internet rapist?

Also, who gives a fuck about rural? Until Comcast is reporting even something approaching slim profit margins, I am not going to give one flying fuck about their poor infrastructure upgrade costs and timesinks. Boohoo, someone didn't plan their business model correctly. Streaming has been big for long enough to plan for it. I refuse to accept this is the asshole consumer wrecking their poor little infrastructure.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
EDIT: I misread. I bet it is still subsidized.

They probably have a Europe interconnect agreement. And I have no doubt that you would get fast speeds, but I would bet money that they throttle it heavily to the US or elsewhere

Or, romania is amazing.
Our companies are subsidized, as well.

Remit_sl

shitlord
It isn't asshole consumers. I encourage streaming. My posts have went a little to left field but I support net neutrality. My original point is exactly that. Urban Internet as a whole will not get better until one of the three limits are imposed or rates increase. Because Com cast and the government don't care.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Are there content blocks for external streaming? Shit I think hulu even blocks within the US, or at least I know they used to on PS3's and Verizon until they made apps.
I have no clue because

1. streaming will always have a lower bitrate compared to what you can get from torrents.

2. it's fast enough to download everything in minutes. I wanted to say seconds but by the time it connects to enough seeders to go over 300-400 mbps it's already done(hmm, third world internet problems?!).

3. the minimum wage here is ~220$ / month so even if netflix/hulu were unblocked, no one will pay for that.

Fun fact that I forgot earlier,Romaniais one of the most corrupt country in the European Union. If you think your providers are bribing the goverment, think about what you can do here not that anyone would dare to fuck with our internet.