Comcast Agrees to Buy Time Warner Cable

Remit_sl

shitlord
I have no clue because

1. streaming will always have a lower bitrate compared to what you can get from torrents.

2. it's fast enough to download everything in minutes. I wanted to say seconds but by the time it connects to enough seeders to go over 300-400 mbps it's already done(hmm, third world internet problems?!).

3. the minimum wage here is ~220$ / month so even if netflix/hulu were unblocked, no one will pay for that.

Fun fact that I forgot earlier,Romaniais one of the most corrupt country in the European Union. If you think your providers are bribing the goverment, think about what you can do here not that anyone would dare to fuck with our internet.
Well, at least you have sweet internet.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
It isn't asshole consumers. I encourage streaming. My posts have went a little to left field but I support net neutrality. My original point is exactly that. Urban Internet as a whole will not get better until one of the three limits are imposed or rates increase. Because Com cast and the government don't care.
I guess you need to be a bit more clear on that. Reading this whole thread, you sound like an ISP sympathizer. However, if your true intent is that ISPs could easily handle all the traffic if the government wasn't corrupt as fuck, well, yeah. I'm betting this thread would have been a few pages shorter if you just started there.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
No it doesn't. 10% of the population doesn't constitute a narrow demographic. Your own article definesAmerican Idolas non-niche and it comprises a viewership of between 10-20% of the television equipped population.
It cites fuckingsports viewersas niche. 10% is niche. Given the total possible market for broadband, I don't see how you could possibly define specifically targeting a small subset of that population with a focused, unique product as anything but niche.

Remit_sl

shitlord
I guess you need to be a bit more clear on that. Reading this whole thread, you sound like an ISP sympathizer. However, if your true intent is that ISPs could easily handle all the traffic if the government wasn't corrupt as fuck, well, yeah. I'm betting this thread would have been a few pages shorter if you just started there.
No, that isn't it at all.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
There could be better Federal and State financing to improve the backbone but it's not really corruption just prioritizing bigger blocs of people.

Focused: Google says 540EU for the median income per capita. $1100/no or so in USD right?

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
It cites fuckingsports viewersas niche. 10% is niche. Given the total possible market for broadband, I don't see how you could possibly define specifically targeting a small subset of that population with a focused, unique product as anything but niche.
No it doesn't, you can't even read your own article. It defines sports channel viewers as a Niche market among sports enthusiasts. ESPN the largest sports network commands a viewership of about 1% of the American population.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yes they are. But due to our reduced density most will not see much benefit, if at all
Why does the reduced density of the US so severely impair the US's ability to have high speed internet in very dense cities?

Remit_sl

shitlord
Why does the reduced density of the US so severely impair the US's ability to have high speed internet in very dense cities?
Because nobody gets government cheese to upgrade and it isn't profitable enough for a competitor to build it out with limited uptake

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
There could be better Federal and State financing to improve the backbone but it's not really corruption just prioritizing bigger blocs of people.

Focused: Google says 540EU for the median income per capita. $1100/no or so in USD right?
Nope, that's about 800$ / month.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, no corruption at all? No laws and such that prevent fair competition? Competition that would solved this infrastructure problem years ago like every other damn country did?

You guys are stuck way too far up this inane little side tangent. I mean, which is what the internet is for, so shame on me. There's a reason everyone expects the Comcast buyout of TWC to go through, because we're used to this stupid bullshit. That the FCC struck down ATT - TMO was totally unexpected. Or maybe it was expected so TMO could get part of ATT's spectrum as part of the penalty, idk. Until I have a choice of at least two high speed providers, I don't care about technical discussions about what infrastructure can and cannot handle. That said choice doesn't exist is representative of all the corruption you say doesn't exist.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Because nobody gets government cheese to upgrade and it isn't profitable enough for a competitor to build it out with limited uptake
If the US govt required ISPs to provide 100mbs service to cities would it be possible?

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Perhaps it's that way in the sticks. As a suburb dweller we have no shortage of options.