Comic Books

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah if you like hairy chicks. #sharpknees

I loved the old Quantum and Woody stuff, and I heard they have a new series out. I have to find a source for them.

Blackyce

Silver Knight of the Realm
Truth brother, though I'd go as far back as the Mutant Massacre. With runs by Marc Silvestri, Jim Lee, Whilce Portacio, and Brandon Peterson, and of course Claremont writing, I've always thought #200-300 was the real golden age of X-Men. You can go back to start at #130ish to pick up some of the really classic storylines (Dark Phoenix Saga, Days of Future Past).

Honestly though, browsing covers from the last decade... (Uncanny X-Men Covers #450-499) I'm even starting to miss Liefeld's art.
Nah, the Golden Age of the X-Men was the Chris Claremont/John Byrne, 108-143. That's when the X-Men actually really took off. The title went from a bi-monthly to monthly because of it's popularity.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I just read the latest Kick-Ass 3 (Issue 4) and Saga (Issue 15). Good books. I feel for Kick-Ass. Shit's falling apart all around him due to loser team mates. Saga was slightly sexual. I believe many nerds will bust it over the thought of the lead girl "praying". And this is considering that they only showed 1 nipple of the topless spider chick.

What an odd but entertaining series.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I just read the latest Kick-Ass 3 (Issue 4)
Is this vaguely worth picking up? I fuckin' loved Kick Ass when it came out, and loved the movie. Volume 2 was pretty terrible though, to the point I liked the movie a lot more than the comic.

So, Kick Ass 3? A thing I didn't even think would exist but am totally pumped to hear happened: Should I?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Is this vaguely worth picking up? I fuckin' loved Kick Ass when it came out, and loved the movie. Volume 2 was pretty terrible though, to the point I liked the movie a lot more than the comic.

So, Kick Ass 3? A thing I didn't even think would exist but am totally pumped to hear happened: Should I?
if v2 wasn't so great for you (it wasn't for me either) then v3 is more of the same (v2)... it just feels, directionless with even more "pop culture" thrown in, just to be thrown in. i think the best word to describe it, would be "reaching".

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
I never read comics growing up, but I have always enjoyed the movies. As a guy with no comics background, which superhero comics should I start with?

Caliane

justice league 3000 comes out in december.
smile.png

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
I never read comics growing up, but I have always enjoyed the movies. As a guy with no comics background, which superhero comics should I start with?
Honestly, no idea. Pick a character or title you like and start reading. The internet can usually answer any questions you have on Wikis.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Wanted to read The Sandman, would getting these be a good way or does anyone else have recommendations for reading the whole series legally?

The Sandman Omnibus Vol. 1: Neil Gaiman, Various: 9781401241889: Amazon.com: Books

The Sandman Omnibus Vol. 2: Neil Gaiman, Various: 9781401243142: Amazon.com: Books
The Sandman is good stuff. I have the entire series in TPB form. The thing to realize though is it's very unlike most mainstream comics in that it's not a superhero comic, or even really an "actiony" comic, for that matter. It's a storytelling vehicle for people looking for a bit more "meat" to stories.

Caliane

Is 3000 gonna be any good after ripping the creative team off it?
just the penciller was changed. Kevin Maguire. He is amazing. and I can't say why he was swapped out. (as I, "I dont know", not, "im not allowed").

Howard porter was brought in.
Most recently he did the Mongul villians month book.

Keith Giffen and J.M. DeMatteis are still writing.
Hi*Fi doing color.

I am pretty happy with it.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
With movies as a base you are already predisposed to their comics, so instead of those I will suggestInvincible. It's the best long running traditional and mostly straightforward superhero comic of the last decade, and it will give you a great taste of the world outside of Marvel/DC comics. Sounds like a small thing, but once you get in to the series and you realize how unimportant the bigger universe can be when the comic itself is great it opens doors.

All that plus it's just a great fucking comic.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
With movies as a base you are already predisposed to their comics, so instead of those I will suggestInvincible. It's the best long running traditional and mostly straightforward superhero comic of the last decade, and it will give you a great taste of the world outside of Marvel/DC comics. Sounds like a small thing, but once you get in to the series and you realize how unimportant the bigger universe can be when the comic itself is great it opens doors.

All that plus it's just a great fucking comic.
I second Invincible. It is pretty much what every superhero comic should have been. There's an occasional tie-in to other heroes/books in the same universe, but not the shitfest that Marvel and DC have made of things for the past few decades where every year or two there is some giant crossover that not only ruins any existing arc that was going on in individual books, but also introduces deaths/results/changes that immediately get retconned out because no one wants that shit in the individual books. For the most part it is just one long, awesome story about the characters you've been introduced to and come to enjoy, not fucking Wolverine showing up in the next issue (with no lasting effect on the overall story even) because they want a slight boost in sales.