Comic Books

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I think I have a bunch of the Star Wars ones (originals), as well as the first comic I ever bought which was X-Men #121 (Alpha-Flight). Except I was a damn kid and didn't even consider keeping them in great condition. Not that any of those are worth retirement-level money, but still, knowing they could have been worth a decent amount and now probably aren't even worth $10 is kind of depressing.

And as mentioned, those old covers are soooo much nicer than a lot of the older stuff. Every time I happen to pass by some comics nowadays I am amazed at how shitty the majority of the covers are. And usually the insides are worse, since they often commission someone better for the covers. I understand the dichotomy of needing better artists, but better artists wanting more money, vicious cycle. But man, some of the artists they've used the past few decades, I can't even.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sterling

El Presidente
I think I have a bunch of the Star Wars ones (originals), as well as the first comic I ever bought which was X-Men #121 (Alpha-Flight). Except I was a damn kid and didn't even consider keeping them in great condition. Not that any of those are worth retirement-level money, but still, knowing they could have been worth a decent amount and now probably aren't even worth $10 is kind of depressing.

And as mentioned, those old covers are soooo much nicer than a lot of the older stuff. Every time I happen to pass by some comics nowadays I am amazed at how shitty the majority of the covers are. And usually the insides are worse, since they often commission someone better for the covers. I understand the dichotomy of needing better artists, but better artists wanting more money, vicious cycle. But man, some of the artists they've used the past few decades, I can't even.
That's exactly why the good condition ones are worth something.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
A few more. I know the Spiderman isn't anything special, but I always liked those Carnage books back in the day and Bagley was a great artist. That cover for Xmen 141 is probably my favorite comic book cover of all time.

20170710_130642.jpg

20170710_130654.jpg

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I like the Carnage one because you posted a book I actually have, lol.

Sometimes I regret I wasn't more of a collector when I was 12 and working at my first job in a comic shop. It's fun not really being a collector now, but sometimes I do kinda want to start picking these up, maybe get a signature or a slab or two while some of these writers/artists are still around and doing cons, etc. We were doing fun stuff like stashing Wolverine #1s and the mini series in our tomb of comics (hundreds of long boxes, all issues 25 cents) and I never bothered to get copies for myself.

Instead I have a bunch of garbage (aside from that Stan Lee signature) signed like Gen13, Stormwatch, X-Force and some old Claremont X-Men and a bunch of more modern books.

I did come across this memento of my time there the other day, not sure if I've posted it before. Our shop's signing (Page After Page) is in the back of Gen13 #1, for some reason I made this and had everyone sign it, mimicing the embossed WS logo on one of their card sets. Need to get it framed and up on a wall in the office. That was a fun job.

19030509_10156253076502316_8115561667375312014_n.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
That's cool, that was my time for collecting, right when Image formed up. I have a few more my dad gave me that I just put up and didn't take pictures of, Spawn 1 and 4 signed by McFarlane, Pitt #1, Savage Dragon #1, Sandman, etc. Found out he accidentally gave my Amazon Spiderman 298-301 to my cousin so happy fucking birthday to that kid.

What I really wanted was my Vertigo stuff. I had the entire series of Shade, Hellblazer, Sandman and assorted spinoffs, Books of Magic, etc. But I don't really have any place for all that, and my dad certainly didn't have room to bring it up. At least we got the Sandman.

Last edited:

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Image has a ton of great stuff right now, I've only been able to read a fraction of it. All the Kirkman books are great, they have a lot of good independent stuff. I don't get into the other stuff, but some like Spawn and Savage Dragon are still going strong.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
So I am a bad person and never read this book in the 90s, but apparently really big news is that with the creator's permission the final page of Batman Metal introduces

Dream, from Sandman

People are losing their shit. Maybe now I'll try and finally start reading it, from #1.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
The early books in the series are, imo, inferior to the later ones. Probably just the mythology building.

My favorite arc is
Seasons of the Mist. Really awesome storyline.

• 1Like

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Not going to go through his 30 minute video, but hopefully that's not based off of YoY sales, comparing it to rebirth. Sales are down but the industry is far from dead.

That being said, the end of the year should outsell last year thanks to the big stuff DC is doing and Marvel Legacy and if the industry is down a few percent that's really fine. Marvel's comics are a Disney side business that just maintains IPs for the most part.

Marvel has turned me into a bitter and fickle reader, but bringing back Jean Grey after more than a decade will keep me reading until at least then to see how they fuck it up.

PHOENIX_RESURRECTION_REMASTERED.jpg

Batman Metal makes me wish I was more invested in DC in the past, but the Batmen from the dark multiverse are badass.

Creatively DC is killing it, while Marvel continues to try and find themselves and has some of the worst art ever seen in a major comic IMO. We'll see what Legacy 'fixes'.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Creatively DC is killing it, while Marvel continues to try and find themselves and has some of the worst art ever seen in a major comic IMO. We'll see what Legacy 'fixes'.
All the ghetto art is from the fucking south Americans and Mexican fucks who can't draw a straight line.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
couldn't keep up anymore with my 19 title pull list. Culled it down to only to any existing and new Star Wars titles. Still can't keep up but its better.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
couldn't keep up anymore with my 19 title pull list. Culled it down to only to any existing and new Star Wars titles. Still can't keep up but its better.
Vader is still pull worthy.

Dr aphra is getting long in the tooth, tho

Only other marvel title not plagued with gay sjw shit is Doom Ironman, but I'm sure they're gonna fuck it up soon as this arc is drawing to a close.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Also resurrected tomorrow on Marvel Legacy #1, and apparently w/ an Infinity Stone:

IMG_9228-600x600.jpg

upload_2017-9-25_18-30-27.png