Commuting to and from work

Nola

Trakanon Raider
How long does it take some of you guys to get to work? I recently got a new job that pays well but the ride to and from there is 45 mins with no traffic. I wake up at 4:30 am to make it to work on time for 6:30. I work a 12 hour rotating shift work and I'm getting off at 7 am I'm so sleepy from working nights. Working days and driving home is nothing but driving home in the morning is a bitch. Any suggestions how to cope with the ride home after working nights?

Nester

Vyemm Raider
8 minutes. 3 years ago i moved cities and took a new job, it used to be 50 minutes. Yes 8 min is as great as it sounds, i love going home at lunch!

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I've got an hour long commute if I head into the office, longer when I'm out in the field. I'm a big fan of talk radio/podcasts. Anything that engages my brain in someway. I can't do audio books though for whatever reason, I never liked them in the first place.

Music would put me to sleep or bore me quickly.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
When I was working in downtown a couple years ago I had a 1.5 hour commute one way. about 20 - 30 minutes by car, 45 minutes on the metro, and 15 - 20 minutes of walking. Fucking sucked. Now I drive about 15 - 20 minutes depending on traffic.

Since you're driving I'd advise you to get something you really enjoy listening to, whether that be music, some podcasts, or some audio books. Make sure it's something that will keep your interest and keep you awake. A friend of mine was driving 2 hours every day (from central MD to southern PA) and in order to tolerate it he basically turned his car into a living room by making it as comfortable and convenient as possible. He sank tons of money into it, but I guess when your commute is that long it's worth it.

Goonsquad Officer
10 minutes. 15 on a busy traffic day. 20 if get stuck behind a gramma or garbage truck.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
26 miles one-way, which is about 45 minutes in the morning and maybe 75 minutes in the afternoon. It really depends on when I come and go. I typically wake up, do my morning email routine at home and then head in after rush hour, but I'm headed home at the same time. Traffic in Atlanta is horrendous, but so are home prices inside the perimeter.

It's worse for my girlfriend. She leaves between 5:30-6am and it usually takes at least an hour, then 90+ minutes in the evening. Hopefully within a couple of years we can move and cut down on that.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
About ten miles round trip, I commute by bike and if im not lazy it's about 15 ish minutes. Used to live in Phoenix and it was a thirty mile commute everyday.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Under a minute most days.
They glory of the WFH commute! I had the very same commute this morning. This office is awesome. I can blast my tunes, it's well-stocked with food, clothing isn't required and I've got guitars and video games as welcome distractions.

Besides home, I have two other offices I commute to regularly. Thanks to the current BART strike, one is off limits. Commuting to that office is fucking awful anyway. 15 minutes to walk to BART, wait for the train, 20 minutes on BART and then wait for a shuttle that takes about 10 minutes to get me to the office. Depending on the wait times and traffic for the shuttle, this commute can be 50-90 minutes one way. It's the worst. I've never worked somewhere that had a commute that bad.

The other office I commute to is only a 20 minute walk which I really enjoy. The walk energizes me and gets me ready to go. I've been pretty lucky with my jobs in my life. It's always been walkable, a short drive, or the opposite commuting direction of everyone else (benefit of always living downtown!).

Music is my favorite way to keep me going - especially when I used to drive to work. I'm one hell of an air drummer on the steering wheel. I'll either read, play video games or completely space out on the train.

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
15 minutes at the moment. The furthest job I've had took 45 to get to. It was unpleasant

I would suggest listening to something that you need to engage with. Maybe some language lessons if that's any interest to you. It makes a big difference if you need to answer questions, rather than just listen.

Fury

Silver Knight of the Realm
8 minutes. 3 years ago i moved cities and took a new job, it used to be 50 minutes. Yes 8 min is as great as it sounds, i love going home at lunch!
Right there with you. 8 minutes for me as well. And yes, going home for lunch is awesome.

OP if you're having problems from a morning dirve home, try a power nap in your car before heading home.15 - 20 minutes max. That small amount of time resting can make a huge difference in keeping you alert.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Thanks for the advice guys. I have another co-worker who lives farther than I do and he takes a power nap before leaving work. I use to drink a Redbull around 2-4 am but when I got home I use to have a very difficult time going to sleep. Definitely going to try the podcast thing to help me stay up.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
12-15 minutes, depending on traffic. Or about 10km, depending on the exact route. I can't fucking understand why anyone would subject themselves to commutes much longer than 20-30 minutes if it's a long term job.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Used to be 5 minutes, but we moved offices and now I go 27 miles each way. Varies from 30-40 minutes (morning) to 40-80 minutes (evening) based on traffic or day of the week.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I live about 50 miles from the office. I leave at around 5:30 in the morning and am in the office by 6:30, and I try to get out absolutely no later than 4:00pm, usually by 3:30. So it takes an hour in the morning, and roughly 90 minutes going home. I honestly don't mind the drive at all, but I HATE traffic. That is why I get up so early and leave early, to avoid as much traffic as possible. For me it is either podcasts or audio books. I can find myself totally enthralled in them and not falling asleep.

Luckily I do have the benefit of working from home whenever I need, but since I have 3 small children at home all day it can be very distracting. So really I prefer to drive into the office whenever it makes sense. Really for me the biggest benefit of working from home is saving on gas. If I go into the office every day, it runs me roughly $400-$500 a month in gas. I would like to move closer to work, but there is no way I can afford even a comparable sized house down in the Silicon Valley compared to what we have here.

I used to live about 10 miles away, but with traffic, it took over 30 mins to and from. I moved and commute was the main reason. Now it takes me 8-12 minutes to get to work, and I take all surface streets.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
20-30 minutes in the back country. I enjoy it. The scenery is the only good thing about the south.

Zombie Thorne_sl

shitlord
I did 107 miles one way for over a year. 1.5 hours in the morning, 2 to 3 hours in the evening depending on traffic. It sucked complete ass. Find a bunch of podcasts to listen to. I would have gone insane without Adam Carolla and the Giant Bomb crew.