Commuting to and from work

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
12-15 minutes, depending on traffic. Or about 10km, depending on the exact route. I can't fucking understand why anyone would subject themselves to commutes much longer than 20-30 minutes if it's a long term job.
How do you travel 10,000 miles in 12-15 minutes???

Schags

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I used to commute from the South side of Colorado Springs to the North side of Denver every day for about 8 months. It was an hour - hour 15 on a good day for the most part. Forget it if it snowed and some jackass wrecked on 25. There was a few nights coming home that lasted 3+ hours. I will never do that again. It was ok for a few months then the ride was so familiar/boring that I found times where I'd be dozing off.

Then there were the bad days when I'd hit a wreck in the Springs and then come into another wreck entering Denver. Those were 2 hour commute days easily.

After that I try and get as close to work as possible. I'm now less than a mile which has worked out well.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
My commute is also less than a minute. But I have done 1+ hour commutes before. I liked listening to NPR, since I got sick and tired of music stations playing the same 10 songs over and over and over and over. Least that's what it felt like being on the road so long each day.

Seventh

Golden Squire
An hour each way w/o traffic. Audiobooks... So many audiobooks...

Reasoning: Much nicer house/area. My house near my job would be about twice as expensive if not more, with half the land.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Commute used to be 40-45 minutes (37 miles) which sucked.

Moved and now it's roughly 2 miles and 5 minutes or less. I can literally walk or bike to work if I want. It's glorious. Oh and going home for lunch, or to poop. Love it.

Silence_sl

shitlord
I did 107 miles one way for over a year. 1.5 hours in the morning, 2 to 3 hours in the evening depending on traffic. It sucked complete ass. Find a bunch of podcasts to listen to. I would have gone insane without Adam Carolla and the Giant Bomb crew.
I know someone that has a 3+hr/day commute. I have no idea how he does it (besides the insane pay he gets). I'd go nuts.

I used to live out in the sticks, and had a regular job with a daily 60+ miles commute. Hated the driving, loved the silence of non burblife. I've got that bass ackwards now; living in the burbs, no commute.

I need to find another house out in the sticks so I can get my sanity back.

Gauss_sl

shitlord
Google Maps says 7 minutes. I actually think it's too short because I was used to hellish commutes back in grad school where I would just zone out and listen to the news on NPR. Now I basically have just enough time to listen to their hourly update.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I can't imagine having a 1hour+ commute one way 5 days a week and not moving to a closer living quarters.

My current commute is 30 minutes each way, and even that is annoying.

Of course, I'm in a reasonably sized mid-west city, not a major metropolis, so "get a house closer to work" is an actual option that doesn't involve getting robbed and/or shot.

imready2go

WTF is a Raider?
<Gold Donor>
Hour and 40 mins, each way. (It can jump to 3+ hours if there's snow!) Welcome to fucking DC, where you have to live 50+ miles away if you want a house with any land at a reasonable price.

You have to learn to put your brain on autopilot. Most days I don't even remember the drive into work. A lot of radio/music/books-on-tape helps to ease the pain and lull you into a state of semi-consciousness.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
1 hour each way.

I used to listen to CD's or mp3's, but that dries up really quickly. Audio books make the drive fun and I don't really notice the hour go by. We'll move closer when we're looking for a house.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
13 minutes in the morning (typically no traffic) and 20 minutes coming back home in the evening.

Simas_sl

shitlord
I'm around 1 hour and 50 min, door-to-door, one way. It's mostly on the train so I look at the internet, but it still sucks. I'm moving in a week and then it'll be down to 40 min or so.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I don't know how you people put up with such hellish commutes, time spent in a car driving I view as just wasted time that I'm not getting paid for.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
About 8 minutes for me. I live in a small town with the interstate running through it. My house is near one exit and then my office is right by the other exit across town. I love it.