Computer Issues

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Got my new build up and running and running into some disk management issues. I have my Samsung SSD(Disk 1 in the pic) and a Seagate 4TB HDD(Disk 0) and I'd like all of the 4TB HDD to be one partition as I want to use that for data storage. How do I combine those two partitions for Disk 0?
disk manage.PNG

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Eh fuck it, decided to reinstall windows. I think I should have just connected the SSD first then installed windows, then brought the HDD. Lesson learned!

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
For future reference you would just right click the allocated portion of the disk and resize it to include the unallocated. Also, yeah, it's better to install windows 10 with only the intended OS drive installed as it gets pissy at times and won't permit formatting if there are other drives there. It also keeps it from Tossing system partitions onto the non o's drive

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
For future reference you would just right click the allocated portion of the disk and resize it to include the unallocated. Also, yeah, it's better to install windows 10 with only the intended OS drive installed as it gets pissy at times and won't permit formatting if there are other drives there. It also keeps it from Tossing system partitions onto the non o's drive

Yeah that's what happened, it put shit on the other drive. Already back up and running now, just happy that was the only issue(so far!).

Also had to download some app to convert the 4TB HDD from MBR to GPT as it would only recognize 2TB of the drive. I remember this being a thing in windows 7 but figured windows 10 would have fixed that.

Last edited:

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
EVGA got my card Thursday, and shipped out the replacement today. I'll get it Thursday.

5de741adc30fc21a995e0df7945d7384.png

I didn't win the lottery and get a 2080 in return, but it's the same card I had. Pretty happy!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
OK so I have this:
and my boot time is roughly 55 seconds according to some boot time tracker I installed.
I'll try a stopwatch to check the time from power-on to pw screen but I have a feeling I could and should do better with this.
The rest of the rig is nothing spectacular,
mainboard
ram
cpu

while surely this is just a low tier rig, what could and should I do to improve my boot time.
The windows installation is an upgraded Win7 to Win10 so maybe that is the first problem. Maybe the 2nd problem is that I cloned it from a regular SSD to save me from installing Win10 anew. If it promises enough benefit, I might just go ahead and do a fresh install, but I thought I'd ask here first.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
55 seconds is too long for a disk drive, let alone an ssd. Is it the boot up or boot up + time for everything to load after? Checked startup programs?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
EVGA got my card Thursday, and shipped out the replacement today. I'll get it Thursday.

5de741adc30fc21a995e0df7945d7384.png

I didn't win the lottery and get a 2080 in return, but it's the same card I had. Pretty happy!

What card did you buy sir?

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
55 seconds is too long for a disk drive, let alone an ssd. Is it the boot up or boot up + time for everything to load after? Checked startup programs?
That is the total boot time including loading everything after. I think the time until lockscreen is roughly 20 seconds but I'll have to check when I get home.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
That is the total boot time including loading everything after. I think the time until lockscreen is roughly 20 seconds but I'll have to check when I get home.

If windows isn't loaded within 10 seconds after the bios splash, then something is definitely wrong with the install. If that's not the issue and the time mostly comes from the things that are loading after you see the desktop, then it's time to look into what's being run at startup. This could also include windows things in the background. Not uncommon for an install set for after boot to get messed up and run every single boot as a result. Not an easy thing to help diagnose remotely. Also be mindful of any disk drives you still have maybe being home for some of the OS file partition due to win10 being stupid.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
If windows isn't loaded within 10 seconds after the bios splash, then something is definitely wrong with the install. If that's not the issue and the time mostly comes from the things that are loading after you see the desktop, then it's time to look into what's being run at startup. This could also include windows things in the background. Not uncommon for an install set for after boot to get messed up and run every single boot as a result. Not an easy thing to help diagnose remotely. Also be mindful of any disk drives you still have maybe being home for some of the OS file partition due to win10 being stupid.
Alright. Time to do a clean install on this one. It's not that I need my windows after 10 seconds but it annoys me that I have a M.2 NVME and it's being a cunt to me.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Alright. Time to do a clean install on this one. It's not that I need my windows after 10 seconds but it annoys me that I have a M.2 NVME and it's being a cunt to me.

Disconnect all other drives but the one you want the os on before installing. Reconnect them later. Don't forget to backup your app data folder and documents folder and so on

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Disconnect all other drives but the one you want the os on before installing. Reconnect them later. Don't forget to backup your app data folder and documents folder and so on
Well that was surprisingly painless. USB3.0 is a godsend, fastest Windows installation I've ever done, and I've done a few hundred by now. The OS drive only held one game and the usual programs, which are not hard to replace. Adobe reader, DVD ripper, etc.

All in all it took me one hour tops getting everything back to the state of before, and I'm on the login screen after 15 seconds now.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
My Google skills are failing me.

How do I see what my Windows admin password is, when logged into that Windows admin account? I changed it a while back, but use a finger print every day to login, so I never type it, and hence forgot it. So I can get into the admin account just fine on my laptop, but I was hoping to be able to see what the PW actually is?

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>

How do I see what my Windows admin password is, when logged into that Windows admin account? I changed it a while back, but use a finger print every day to login, so I never type it, and hence forgot it. So I can get into the admin account just fine on my laptop, but I was hoping to be able to see what the PW actually is?
Mimikatz?

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande

'
I don't believe you can unless it's on a domain and a security policy was set to store passwords using reversible encryption. However, you should just be able to reset it to whatever you like..

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Well that was surprisingly painless. USB3.0 is a godsend, fastest Windows installation I've ever done, and I've done a few hundred by now. The OS drive only held one game and the usual programs, which are not hard to replace. Adobe reader, DVD ripper, etc.

All in all it took me one hour tops getting everything back to the state of before, and I'm on the login screen after 15 seconds now.
Turns out I installed W10 in legacy mode instead of UEFI mode like the cool kids do.
So I went and installed it again, again, yesterday. In UEFI mode this time, so I can use FastBoot.
Forgot to unplug the drives and now my M2 is Drive2 and I'm not sure if I want it that way or if I'm installing one more time.
Either way, I'm happy with my stuff now. Thanks for encouraging me.