Computer Issues

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Well, I trust hardware swap, and this dude had apparently sold dozens of cards before. Was a frequent seller. And a few other buyers have already posted they received and their cards work great. So honestly, I don't think it was a scam.

Doesn't mean it wasn't a bad card though. It still has evga warranty. Maybe it is posting and I just don't know it because nothing will display? My razer orb weaver and keyboard both flash on/off as well as my monitors. Like there is a power problem.

Of course none of this behavior happens when I put my 970 back in.

Does your mobo show post codes on any sort of mini LCD on the board, or is it beeping a specific sounding set of beeps?

He might not have scammed you, but he's a reseller so who knows where the card came from

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Does your mobo show post codes on any sort of mini LCD on the board, or is it beeping a specific sounding set of beeps?

He might not have scammed you, but he's a reseller so who knows where the card came from
It's a miner card.... Ya ya... Shouldn't have done it. That's why this guy has sold so many and has pretty good feedback. He did say that this batch of 20 sold 4 have already been reported DOA. He doesn't know why.

He's already responded to me on reddit. He will either send DHL to come pick it up and give full refund or pay the $50 EVGA charges to RMA.

Not sure what to do. Does EVGA rebuild their cards or am I bound to just have continuous problems?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
It's a miner card.... Ya ya... Shouldn't have done it. That's why this guy has sold so many and has pretty good feedback. He did say that this batch of 20 sold 4 have already been reported DOA. He doesn't know why.

He's already responded to me on reddit. He will either send DHL to come pick it up and give full refund or pay the $50 EVGA charges to RMA.

Not sure what to do. Does EVGA rebuild their cards or am I bound to just have continuous problems?

God damnit Jimmy, I told you not to go messing around with them mining cards! But ya did it! And now look at what happened! (would be hilarious if you name was actually Jimmy)

I'm glad to hear you're not just shit out of luck. I have no experience with EVGA myself but they're considered to be pretty decent with such stuff. I can't picture them rebuilding a card, so if it's completely fucked it's more likely they would outright replace it, but such a replacement would probably go to the dude and he'd send you a different card. This is all just assumption on my part.

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
Got a used 1080 Ti, and put it in. Replaced a 970. Computer booted just fine. NVidia drivers needed updated anyway so I did a clean install. Everything was working great. Witcher 3 and Anthem both looked great and super fps. Was loving it!

Then in the middle of Anthem there's a noise from my CPU, and multi colored artifacts are all across my dual screen setup. The screen is frozen. I forget if things shut down at this point or I did it.

Try to reboot, nothing. No beeps, no post. Google some stuff. Try reseating the card. Nothing. Resetting cmos. Nothing. Put my gtx 970 back in and everything works fine.

Bad GPU? Worked for a second and then just exploded?

ASRock x370 killer sli/AC mobo
Ryzen 7 1500 processor
EVGA 750 watt gold power supply
I'm going to take a wag at it and say it's either the power supply isn't actually putting out the necessary voltage to run the card or the card is bad. You don't happen to have another supply to test it with do you?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Artifacting is a good indication that your card is dead. Agree, what psu?

Id RMA with EVGA if it's really that cheap. They'll send you a good card. When I did my step up wtih them I just sent my 970 in and waited a few days before I had my 1070 at my door. They're the only gpu company I'll deal with for life.

ver_21

Molten Core Raider

Sorry to hear this. You're out $500 to $600? lol at 'he doesn't know why.'

Does the card have a bios switch? If so, try the other position. Still, I would get this card fixed or returned.

EVGA has the best reputation, so that is in your favor. But all of their Warranty claims require that you are the original owner of the product and can provide proof of purchase in the form of an invoice or receipt. So that's not in your favor, and RMA is instead seemingly at EVGA's discretion.

I would call EVGA. They should be able to check the serial history. Describe the situation. Be clear that you are not the original owner, and that you purchased off eBay, and you don't really know anything else for certain about the card. Ask what they can do--repair or replace? Make sure they will handle this before accepting the $50 from the seller. At best, accepting the seller's $50 makes the situation more complicated. At worst accepting the $50 could be construed as waiving your money back guarantee.

Last edited:

Crone

Sorry to hear this. You're out $500 to $600? lol at 'he doesn't know why.'

Does the card have a bios switch? If so, try the other position. Still, I would get this card fixed or returned.

EVGA has the best reputation, so that is in your favor. But all of their Warranty claims require that you are the original owner of the product and can provide proof of purchase in the form of an invoice or receipt. So that's not in your favor, and RMA is instead seemingly at EVGA's discretion.

I would call EVGA. They should be able to check the serial history. Describe the situation. Be clear that you are not the original owner, and that you purchased off eBay, and you don't really know anything else for certain about the card. Ask what they can do--repair or replace? Make sure they will handle this before accepting the $50 from the seller. At best, accepting the seller's $50 makes the situation more complicated. At worst accepting the $50 could be construed as waiving your money back guarantee.
EVGA has second hand warranty. Went to bed last night without registering, but about to do it now to see how much warranty I have.

And no, he doesn't know. I understand we're all cynical bitches but this guy is offering solutions, and is just explaining that out of 1 DOA in 250 cards sold, this batch of 20 has had 4 and he doesn't know why.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Yeah, if he's replying and is a known seller on Reddit then he'll put some effort in to making things right. Bad feedback murders buyer confidence in those sorts of marketplaces and a lot of effort goes into avoiding it when possible.

Crone

RMA process started.

b3aeb303ab25b09da83f3bf0a2bb6988.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I think if that guy doesn't understand why the card died he's retarded. Mining puts an unbelievable stress on a piece of hardware with a finite lifespan that shortens with increased voltage and heat

Crone

I think if that guy doesn't understand why the card died he's retarded. Mining puts an unbelievable stress on a piece of hardware with a finite lifespan that shortens with increased voltage and heat
Well sure, mining does that, but these are not cards that mined for years. He's sold a ton of cards, and does it in batches of 20 or so, and he's not ever had a batch of 20 have so many go bad. That's what he's saying. RNG be RNG , and this batch just had a bunch that couldn't handle the stress. Who knows, maybe this batch was in the back of a Thailand sweat shop grinding away, where others were in nice air conditioned places. Lol.

Crone

3d363069c8905c7bf882b952aa786740.png

Quite impressed that their RMA and ticket system isn't an 8-5 Mon-Fri. It's sped up the process by quite a bit.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So I haven't been paying attention in like forever to network stuff. What kind of cable do you get these days just to run into your modern computers? What are the differences between Cat 5 6 7 8?

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
5e supports up to gig, but if you have anything older than 5 years you will want to check if your ethernet ports and cabling can all get past 100mbps.

Unless you're running a microwave in your computer room chances are you won't notice any difference until ISPs offer above 1gig connections, that's when you'll need higher numbers.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
5e supports up to gig, but if you have anything older than 5 years you will want to check if your ethernet ports and cabling can all get past 100mbps.

Unless you're running a microwave in your computer room chances are you won't notice any difference until ISPs offer above 1gig connections, that's when you'll need higher numbers.
naw, you need at min, 5e to have gigbit inside your entire house

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

WllZ4NV.png

This is literally the latest and best internet speed regular consumer money can buy you in Germany, I think we're a decade away from 1GB home lines.