Computer Issues

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I didn't see that part of it. Is the black solo monitor in the same GPU slot as when it's black with both plugged in?

Yeah. I got black screen on this no matter what. I never got No Signal though. But I was getting to the windows splash screen and I did not get black screen until I ran it first and set the resolution to 1080p. But when I used the display port from the Samsung to my work PC it works just fine again also.

So I have it working now... However I am using the HDMI port for this monitor and the Display port for the other. Previously I used DP for both monitors with no issue. I wanted to use the DP to make use of the 144hz.. but until I find out why its doing this I will settle for 120hz.

This shit legitimately makes no sense to me though.

I do not think I am going crazy here but my previous monitor just got NO SIGNAL from the Display Port no matter what PC I used it on. Here it works fine just shows black.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Yeah. I got black screen on this no matter what. But I was getting to the windows splash screen and I did not get black screen until I ran it first and set the resolution to 1080p.

So I have it working now... However I am using the HDMI port for this monitor and the Display port for the other. Previously I used DP for both monitors with no issue. I wanted to use the DP to make use of the 144hz.. but until I find out why its doing this I will settle for 120hz.

This shit legitimately makes no sense to me though.

Speculating here, but if it was showing stuff during boot-up it isn't a hardware issue.

The GPU and bios recognize certain connections on a GPU as the primary port, regardless of how Windows labels them (display 1, 2, 3etc...) but windows will switch to what it considers the primary display once booted.

So what might be happening is that windows (or maybe Radeon despite driver refresh) has the display assignment fucked up somehow despite recognizing the displays existence and is trying to communicate incorrectly. Thinking something like it's display 2 but Windows is trying to communicate with display 3 for some stupid reason.

Using the HDMI cable might be telling windows to communicate with the correct port

Alternatively, it could be a GPU limitation regarding bandwidth across double display port, and using HDMI instead is alleviating that

I think it's time to either refresh Windows (search for it in the search function) or try a separate install and see if the problem persists.

Argarth

On the verandah
Okay doing that tonight. Here we go!

I read all the previous posts, sorry if I've missed anything. Did you try setting your new monitor (DP / alone) to 1920 x 1080 after a DDU, but before installing the Radeon Drivers?

If not, I would try that as an extra troubleshooting step before doing anything to Windows. Run DDU again in Safe Mode with your NIC unplugged (I know DDU has a toggle) and after it boots to the basic VGA mode, swap from HDMI to the DP cable, and see if it will accept 1920 x 1080 with default MS adapter drivers.

If I read correctly, selecting 1920 x 1080 is what caused the black screen initially. I'd also run the following (partly because it's easy) before refreshing windows:

> DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
> sfc /scannow
> reboot and try DP again

Last edited:

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I read all the previous posts, sorry if I've missed anything. Did you try setting your new monitor (DP / alone) to 1920 x 1080 after a DDU, but before installing the Radeon Drivers?

If not, I would try that as an extra troubleshooting step before doing anything to Windows. Run DDU again in Safe Mode with your NIC unplugged (I know DDU has a toggle) and after it boots to the basic VGA mode, swap from HDMI to the DP cable, and see if it will accept 1920 x 1080 with default MS adapter drivers.

If I read correctly, selecting 1920 x 1080 is what caused the black screen initially. If that works I'd run the following (partly because it's easy) before refreshing windows:

> DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
> sfc /scannow
> reboot

No. I plugged in the new monitor hot. Let me give a rundown here:
  1. Old monitor had confirmed broken display port as the monitor's DP did not work on two other computers.
  2. Replaced DP and HDMI cable
  3. Monitor just returned, "no signal detected" to anything that used its display port.
  4. Bought new monitor.
  5. Plugged new monitor in hot. Machine detected signal on both Win10 and AMD software but screen remained black.
  6. Plugged monitor into PC with DP solo. Booted to desktop. Changed to my preferred resolution then it went to black screen again.
  7. Dicked around with settings and got nothing. Eventually installed the monitor's specific driver and with DP connection the monitor would display the windows splash screen before Win10 booted and set the focus to my dominant monitor. Which would then stay black despite logging in and detecting it.
  8. Used DDU to remove Radeon drivers/registry/etc.
  9. Issue resumed.
  10. Plugged in new monitor to PC via HDMI instead of DP and it worked.
  11. Refreshed Win 10.
I have not yet AGAIN dicked around with the display port but I am going to test a few games and see whats what. Reinstalling some necessary apps and stuff right now.

God damn headache that came out of nowhere.

Argarth

On the verandah
No. I plugged in the new monitor hot. Let me give a rundown here:
  1. Old monitor had confirmed broken display port as the monitor's DP did not work on two other computers.
  2. Replaced DP and HDMI cable
  3. Monitor just returned, "no signal detected" to anything that used its display port.
  4. Bought new monitor.
  5. Plugged new monitor in hot. Machine detected signal on both Win10 and AMD software but screen remained black.
  6. Plugged monitor into PC with DP solo. Booted to desktop. Changed to my preferred resolution then it went to black screen again.
  7. Dicked around with settings and got nothing. Eventually installed the monitor's specific driver and with DP connection the monitor would display the windows splash screen before Win10 booted and set the focus to my dominant monitor. Which would then stay black despite logging in and detecting it.
  8. Used DDU to remove Radeon drivers/registry/etc.
  9. Issue resumed.
  10. Plugged in new monitor to PC via HDMI instead of DP and it worked.
  11. Refreshed Win 10.
I have not yet AGAIN dicked around with the display port but I am going to test a few games and see whats what. Reinstalling some necessary apps and stuff right now.

God damn headache that came out of nowhere.

Headache for sure. I can follow that list above, but looking at step 8, I'm still really intrigued to see if 1920 x 1080 will work via DP with NO Radeon Drivers installed. I can understand that you're probably fed up to the back teeth with it by now, heh. Yes or No on that test would seem to clarify the issue some more. Just a thought. Best of luck!

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Headache for sure. I can follow that list above, but looking at step 8, I'm still really intrigued to see if 1920 x 1080 will work via DP with NO Radeon Drivers installed. I can understand that you're probably fed up to the back teeth with it by now, heh. Yes or No on that test would seem to clarify the issue some more. Just a thought. Best of luck!

Not sure I want to do that. When I booted this up after DDU radeon drivers it auto detected the Radeon and switched from basic windows to the base radeon driver in like 15 seconds. I would be pretty shocked if a DP cable would somehow only accept higher resolutions than 1080?

Argarth

On the verandah
Not sure I want to do that. When I booted this up after DDU radeon drivers it auto detected the Radeon and switched from basic windows to the base radeon driver in like 15 seconds. I would be pretty shocked if a DP cable would somehow only accept higher resolutions than 1080?

We may have our wires crossed here a bit. Apologies if any of this is obvious.

When running DDU, you either have to disable windows driver updates in the DDU software first OR just unplug your internet. Unplugging is always going to work, obviously. Then when your PC reboots there won't be any Radeon Drivers left on your PC. If you checked device manager, it would list your Display Adapter as "Basic Display Adapter" or similar.

Yes, Windows will detect the card, but that's all. It sounds like you were still connected on reboot, and Windows Update was immediately fetching it's default Radeon Driver package.

That's what I wanted to test, can your new monitor display 1920 x 1080 on DP with nothing more than Windows drivers. If so, then the issue MAY be with the Radeon Software. If it won't even accept that resolution with basic Microsoft VGA drivers, then we would be looking for hardware, port, or even GFX Card firmware issues. Hope that makes sense.

(For example, after DDU, my 1080ti will happily display Ultrawide 2560x1080 with no more than basic Microsoft VGA drivers. NVidia drivers are gone, and not required for testing.)

Last edited:

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
Try shutting everything down and pulling the power cords from the monitor and pc (do both ends as well), and even the DisplayPort cable. Plug back in and see what happens. Also see if monitor has a power save feature and turn that off and/or reset monitor settings to factory default.

Try setting the Windows display options to clone to all monitors.

If you have a 32GB or larger flash drive you can do a windows to go install on it using Rufus and a Windows 10 iso, to test if it’s a windows issue.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
SO the locking mechanism on the MB for the gpu snapped off and no longer locks in. It doesn't make a connection anymore so the slot wont recognize the gpu. Is their anyway to jerry rig something so it locks? Right now my gpu is sitting in the secondary slot at x8 so that sucks.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Also does anyone know what this shit is? Crashing my comp non stop.

20200104_201957.jpg

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Well fuck. I got mine right when they released. Is their a fix or do I have to return?

I assume it's a founders edition? If so I think Nvidia was replacing them at the time. You'll want to google for 2080 space invaders (the glitches look like them) for more info.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I assume it's a founders edition? If so I think Nvidia was replacing them at the time. You'll want to google for 2080 space invaders (the glitches look like them) for more info.
It's an ASUS 2080ti. I read it affected all cards if they were from original release. I have to RMA it. Thanks for the help bro. I had no idea it was called space invaders. Was looking all over the net for what it was.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
SO the locking mechanism on the MB for the gpu snapped off and no longer locks in. It doesn't make a connection anymore so the slot wont recognize the gpu. Is their anyway to jerry rig something so it locks? Right now my gpu is sitting in the secondary slot at x8 so that sucks.
I thought the lock just kept the card from coming out in an emergency, so I'm not sure why that would affect anything. Are you sure the slot isn't damaged?

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I thought the lock just kept the card from coming out in an emergency, so I'm not sure why that would affect anything. Are you sure the slot isn't damaged?
Maybe, not ruling that out. When I took it out to inspect it for the artifact bullshit and then reinserted it I had problems. It's been broken for about a year now but never had to mess with the video card before so I'm just assuming the lock.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Maybe, not ruling that out. When I took it out to inspect it for the artifact bullshit and then reinserted it I had problems. It's been broken for about a year now but never had to mess with the video card before so I'm just assuming the lock.
1578379080961.jpeg

but no, you can safely take some isoprophyl 91% and a qtip and see if that helps.