Computer Issues

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yep. Nvidia Control Panel recognizes it. Just the TV isn't recognizing any signal. My mobo does have an output but it's HDMI so I'd have to buy another adapter. :(

Maybe I'm just trying to run too many conversions. My TV is so old it's a VGA input but I'm using a VGA-to-DVI cable. Which I'm then connecting to an adapter. But a digital signal is just a digital signal, right?
imo, don't buy an "adapter" just buy a whatever to whatever cable, i had issues early this year that were quickly solved by just getting the converted cable rather than using an adapter i had lying around.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
imo, don't buy an "adapter" just buy a whatever to whatever cable, i had issues early this year that were quickly solved by just getting the converted cable rather than using an adapter i had lying around.

This.

• 1Like

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
So when I built my computer in September or so I was getting random BSODs all the way up until last week. My error codes were generic hardware fault error codes.

I did extensive Processor, GPU and SSD tests and found no issues at all. The Blue screens were utterly without pattern. I even ran an extensive 12 hour memtest86 on boot and had no issues.

I posted about it on other tech forums providing dump logs and all I got was a pretty unhelpful response of: "It's hardware, test your parts".

I got to the point where I

1. used different DIMM slots
2. alternated RAM
3. updated the BIOS to a beta branch

Updating the BIOS to the beta branch gave me another problem, an "inaccessible boot device" BSOD on startup. I tried rolling back by flashing it, but no dice.

I ended up formatting the computer in an effort to get my PC booting again (it was a fresh install so I couldn't be bothered to troubleshoot it for days) and lo and behold it fixed my fucking problem.

Endless WHEA BSODs pointing me towards generic hardware faults almost had me replacing parts in order to test stuff but no, a generic fucking FORMAT fixed the problem. God knows why it was telling me I had hardware issues when clearly there was software problems, but either way I've had no BSOD for over 10 days of uptime (I was getting them daily) so I'm assuming that the age old response of turning it off and on again worked.

Cool I guess?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Whea errors are caused by software issues more than hardware issues. It doesnt really mean the hardware did something wrong, just that something in the process of communicating with the hardware has gone wrong and thrown an error. Can be driver problems, corrupt memory, bad hardware, etc...

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I guess I can now add that to the memory bank of computer fixes. Honestly any time I've had BSODs in the past, it's been software, but the other tech forum I used was so adamant that it was hardware (it was run by the guy who created the commonly used dump tool for diagnostics) that I just assumed they were right.

I really wish I had asked here first, because a format is an easy fix.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
In my experience, hardware will straight up crash or freeze a system instead of causing a bsod, short of faulty memory

• 1Like

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
In my experience, hardware will straight up crash or freeze a system instead of causing a bsod, short of faulty memory

That has been my experience too, or straight up restart with no fanfare.

The only issues I seem to be getting with this build now are unusually slow SSD speeds, but I'm not really sure why that is. Granted it's a pretty old SSD and it doesn't feel too bad, but any benchmark is showing it being super slow.

I am able to boot up in about 7 seconds so it's fine I guess lol

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
That has been my experience too, or straight up restart with no fanfare.

The only issues I seem to be getting with this build now are unusually slow SSD speeds, but I'm not really sure why that is. Granted it's a pretty old SSD and it doesn't feel too bad, but any benchmark is showing it being super slow.

Ssd's decrease in performance after a lengthy period of time. There are ways to testing the health of an ssd drive. Check the manufacturer site and they'll probably have a utility for it. I think it happens far quicker if it doesn't support Trim or it isn't enabled. Other issues could be the aata cable or port

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
Still on the beta bios? Recheck bios settings either way, reseat SATA and power cables. Check for proper storage drivers and an odd one which shouldn’t apply is the partition alignment.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
@Dom

It appears my monitor issue was twofold. While I am absolutely certain the display port on my old monitor was broken (tested with two other PCs) there is some other fuckery going on I don't really understand. I've updated everything and I ended up making a Reddit post about it as I can't find any other information. To avoid reposting here it is.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
@Dom

It appears my monitor issue was twofold. While I am absolutely certain the display port on my old monitor was broken (tested with two other PCs) there is some other fuckery going on I don't really understand. I've updated everything and I ended up making a Reddit post about it as I can't find any other information. To avoid reposting here it is.

Did you do a complete cleaning of the drivers with DDU?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Removed AMD driver with DDU, reinstalled drivers. Same problem.

So the way I understand the situation is that youve used a new cable and a new monitor and new drivers the problem persists.

Some other things to try:

Disable freesync on any of the monitors

Try duplicating instead of extending the desktop

Try setting both of them down to 60hz

Look in your device manager and see if windows is using any specific named drivers for the displays instead of generic ones

Look your specific GPU up for other people having multi monitor issues

Hit windows key + p and see if extending through the window that will come up works

Let me know if any of these steps bring something up that might be an indicator of what the problem is

Other than those, personally my next step would be to either reformat Windows if I couldn't get another GPU to use to test, or just replace the GPU and return it if the problem persists

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So the way I understand the situation is that youve used a new cable and a new monitor and new drivers the problem persists.

Some other things to try:

Disable freesync on any of the monitors

Try duplicating instead of extending the desktop

Try setting both of them down to 60hz

Look in your device manager and see if windows is using any specific named drivers for the displays instead of generic ones

Look your specific GPU up for other people having multi monitor issues

Hit windows key + p and see if extending through the window that will come up works

Let me know if any of these steps bring something up that might be an indicator of what the problem is

Other than those, personally my next step would be to either reformat Windows if I couldn't get another GPU to use to test, or just replace the GPU and return it if the problem persists

Yeah so some progress. I installed the specific driver for the Samsung monitor. When I did this and restarted I saw the windows splash screen on the blackscreen monitor until windows booted up and then the other monitor became the dominant one.

On your list:

1. Did nothing
2. Did nothing.
3. Did nothing.
4. There IS a generic PNP driver, uninstall this?
5. Been looking but nothing like I am describing anywhere else.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Yeah so some progress. I installed the specific driver for the Samsung monitor. When I did this and restarted I saw the windows splash screen on the blackscreen monitor until windows booted up and then the other monitor became the dominant one.

On your list:

1. Did nothing
2. Did nothing.
3. Did nothing.
4. There IS a generic PNP driver, uninstall this?
5. Been looking but nothing like I am describing anywhere else.

Generic drivers are fine. I was more wanting to see if there was a specific driver for it which could be causing problems.

Since you've ruled out the possibility of it being the cable or the monitor, the likely culprits at this point are the GPU, and then something fucky in the background with drivers or windows. I've never encountered this this problem when it wasn't the cable or the port on either the GPU or monitor, so I don't know what else to suggest other than replace the GPU or try a fresh windows install (got an extra hard srive you could slap one on instead of reformatting?)

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
But if this is the case why would I still get black screen if only 1 monitor is plugged in? Both set at 60HZ right now.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
But if this is the case why would I still get black screen if only 1 monitor is plugged in? Both set at 60HZ right now.

I didn't see that part of it. Is the black solo monitor in the same GPU slot as when it's black with both plugged in?

Izo

Tranny Chaser
giphy.gif

Have you tried...
Another PSU?
DP to HDMI adapters (e.g. Is it the ports or the cable)?
Another beer.