Computer Issues

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
NVidia Card? (asked because you mentioned the monitor)

If so, I had the same BSOD error just twice, with very recent NV drivers and only after two major Win10 patches. Haven't had a BSOD in years other than these two, rig is ultra stable.

A complete DDU/reinstall of the latest driver resolved it. It hasn't happened again since.

I am on a Radeon RX Vega. I did reinstall all of its drivers though. It has a context of Netsys something or other after using some diag tools. I am now inclined to think that its some issue with my network cards. I have two because the motherboard has a built in one but I also had my old one. I think I'll remove the PCI one now.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
So I upgraded my office pc to Win10.
Got a new monitor earlier this year, Samsung 32" nice piece of 3840x2160 pixel goodness / (I love spreadsheets).

Worked fine on Win7, shits the bed on Win10, i.e. max resolution with new radeon drivers is still 1920x1080.

Halp.

Radeon 6450 connected through HDMI btw and yeah it's a 2012 computer so...

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Got a new monitor earlier this year, Samsung 32" nice piece of 3840x2160 pixel goodness / (I love spreadsheets).

Worked fine on Win7, shits the bed on Win10, i.e. max resolution with new radeon drivers is still 1920x1080.

Halp.

Run this and nuke all driver stuff, then install drivers again

Try changing resolution in windows itself (right click desktop) if you can't in radeon

Verify that the HDMI port on the card and the cable you're using are even capable of 4K at the HZ you're trying to use. Older radeon cards have older HDMI versions which might be capped at 30hz for 4k

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

Halp.

make sure your cable isn't junk, in fact use the cable that came with the monitor, make sure the hdmi port your using supports 4k, some don't, try hdm1 and hdmi2, or just use the displayport

OH WAIT, 6450? yea that old card won't support 4k

Max Resolution
2560 x 1600 at 60 Hz

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
make sure your cable isn't junk, in fact use the cable that came with the monitor, make sure the hdmi port your using supports 4k, some don't, try hdm1 and hdmi2, or just use the displayport

OH WAIT, 6450? yea that old card won't support 4k

Max Resolution
2560 x 1600 at 60 Hz
Yeah thing is it worked on 2560x1600 under win7.

maybe I'll just convince the boss I need a new machine. 7 years old eh.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
For that price, might as well just get a new budget CPU with an IGPU that can do it as well, especially since a cpu upgrade would probably be good for him.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
For that price, might as well just get a new budget CPU with an IGPU that can do it as well, especially since a cpu upgrade would probably be good for him.
it's an office pc from 2012, and it's for excel, he's probably an expert at twiddling his thumbs waiting for xls to open up with 4gb of ram

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
It's an i5 3550 with 16GB and you're hurting my feelings.

Used to run some power hungry database front ends on this thing but nowadays everything is via terminal server so machines like this are no longer needed.

(was good enough to run WoW during uh... lunch break though)

I might still go and get a powerful pc again because I'm the admin, it's what I do.

Still, back on topic, it worked under Win7, doesn't under Win10, Bill Gates destroyed my screen resolution.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
You can probably create a custom resolution with CRU or in Radeon control and get that resolution back

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Important question about upgrading on old AM4 MB's i can' seem to fnd an answer.

So i have twosocket am4 MSI 350m bazookas currently running on ryzen 1400...

with the sales today i want ot upgrade and sortasidecrae my office comp?

I'm pretty sure a r5 2600x will run on my home machine.

howeer for my work machine i want to sell the RX 580 and get prob a 3200g. I've seen very mizxed reports if it works on my MOBO

If it doesn't work ill buy a 2200g or 2400g and replace the rx 580 with the integrated.. But performance wise i would greatly prefer the 3200...

Ineee to make these choices today befoe Cyber Monday was over...

EEdit: my plan is to sell one rx 580 and 2x Ryzen 1400 and get almost for nothing, espescially after i sell my old 3dfx Basnshee,

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
Anyone have a good guide to setup a fresh install of Windows 10? Just got a new laptop on Black Friday. I've tried googling a few but not sure if they're still relevant or if windows has been updated and needs different tweaks...

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
Anyone have a good guide to setup a fresh install of Windows 10? Just got a new laptop on Black Friday. I've tried googling a few but not sure if they're still relevant or if windows has been updated and needs different tweaks...

I messed around with that last year, broke the Store thing which I needed later. They have some built in option sliders for a clean install, I wouldn’t bother messing with it at this point.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Built a new computer over the weekend and things are working great with my monitor. I have an older ('09 or '10) LG TV that I've always used as a second monitor for sports streaming and nothing else. Still pretty important because I love my sports. Anyway, my RTX 2070 Super only has Display Ports and one HDMI port. My old video card supported VGA which is what I always used. Didn't want to mess with re-routing cables so I just bought an adapter. Windows 10 automatically detected it and I can even move my mouse to the TV, but the TV is recognizing no signal. I figured it would be an all or nothing thing and Google research has provided nothing because the fact that my computer recognizes the TV makes this a bit unique. Any ideas?

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Built a new computer over the weekend and things are working great with my monitor. I have an older ('09 or '10) LG TV that I've always used as a second monitor for sports streaming and nothing else. Still pretty important because I love my sports. Anyway, my RTX 2070 Super only has Display Ports and one HDMI port. My old video card supported VGA which is what I always used. Didn't want to mess with re-routing cables so I just bought an adapter. Windows 10 automatically detected it and I can even move my mouse to the TV, but the TV is recognizing no signal. I figured it would be an all or nothing thing and Google research has provided nothing because the fact that my computer recognizes the TV makes this a bit unique. Any ideas?
The TV shows up in the Nvidia Control panel? With the adapter it might be setting some weird default resolution/refresh rate, possibly to the point you need to go in and create a custom config for it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>

Maybe something as simple as you have the TV on the wrong input? Does your motherboard/cpu have onboard GPU that has a vga connector?

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Yep. Nvidia Control Panel recognizes it. Just the TV isn't recognizing any signal. My mobo does have an output but it's HDMI so I'd have to buy another adapter. :(

Maybe I'm just trying to run too many conversions. My TV is so old it's a VGA input but I'm using a VGA-to-DVI cable. Which I'm then connecting to an adapter. But a digital signal is just a digital signal, right?

Last edited:

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
There's no reason why daisy-chaining the adapters shouldn't work if you're stepping down in bandwidth, which you are if it's HDMI > DVI > VGA. If NVCP is detecting the display, then there's a return signal of some sort. I'd try messing around with the resolutions, refresh rate, colour depth (8bit etc...) and so on. Maybe try bottom of the barrel first like a 720 res with low colour.

Also, check to see if the display has an early version of HDCP or something. It might be the problem if so.