Computer Issues

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I think I posted about this previously, but I screwed up swapping a power supply and roasted 2 SSDs and a hard drive.

I did a little digging and sometimes hard drives are fixable if you get a replacement board for them. I ordered one but there's a tiny chip that needs to be transplanted from the old board to the new. I have a soldering iron but this thing is TINY and my hands are shaky and I don't really know what I'm doing.

Are any of you good with that sort of thing? I watched some videos on youtube and they have desoldering guns and wicks and stuff and my iron didn't come with any of that.

tinychippu.jpg

I mainly want the data to get at some art I was working on. I want to create some new Everquest models using the old models as a kind of concept art. I have a base human mesh on the dead drive that I spent a few weeks on, and I really don't want to do all that again if I can help it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You could probablt do it with a solder sucker but that's small. Usually a heat gun is used for this but I've done small chips with an iron before. You'll just want to melt and suck each pin on the other side

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I would ask around and see if there is a "maker" building near were you live, most of the time people are willing too help for a modest fee, and sense you already have the new board + donor board...

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
Not really a PC issue, but i was wondering why im unable to uninstall the MW remastered beta i never bought the full game so im not able to do it from the bnet launcher so i tried to manually do it in add/remove programs, but that just tells me it cant be uninstalled this way and to open up the launcher.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Not really a PC issue, but i was wondering why im unable to uninstall the MW remastered beta i never bought the full game so im not able to do it from the bnet launcher so i tried to manually do it in add/remove programs, but that just tells me it cant be uninstalled this way and to open up the launcher.

Close bnet app down, go to folder were it's supposedly "Installed" and nuke the whole folder(this might get rid of it, not too sure)

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I gave it a go and totally ruined it. I got one side loose via dropping solder on it (saw that in a youtube vid), the other side the pins tore loose and I took a giant chunk out of the silicon. I didn't think that stuff would melt but it does.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I gave it a go and totally ruined it. I got one side loose via dropping solder on it (saw that in a youtube vid), the other side the pins tore loose and I took a giant chunk out of the silicon. I didn't think that stuff would melt but it does.

Ya smaller IC's are designed too be heated once, then never again... It takes a lot of patience too do, and it's even a bigger headache prepping the chip for the new board.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
My primary monitor is an ASUS ROG PG279 and secondary is a ASUS VH242H. Whenever the computer goes to sleep over night and I wake it up, it is like the 2nd monitor loses connection. So when the computer turns back on it detects the 2nd display but everything that was organized on it has shifted to the primary display, so I've gotta drag everything back over.

Primary is Display Port > Display Port, Secondary is HDMI > Display Port.... wondering if the issue is with HDMI > DP, because I just disconnect the cable and can't even get the damn thing to come back up now.

Lemme see if I can scrounge up one of the random HDMI cables laying around the house.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
My primary monitor is an ASUS ROG PG279 and secondary is a ASUS VH242H. Whenever the computer goes to sleep over night and I wake it up, it is like the 2nd monitor loses connection. So when the computer turns back on it detects the 2nd display but everything that was organized on it has shifted to the primary display, so I've gotta drag everything back over.

Primary is Display Port > Display Port, Secondary is HDMI > Display Port.... wondering if the issue is with HDMI > DP, because I just disconnect the cable and can't even get the damn thing to come back up now.

Lemme see if I can scrounge up one of the random HDMI cables laying around the house.
I have the same issue, and I feel like I've tried display port on both and hdmi on the secondary and it didn't make an issue.

To be clear for mine, I don't have my computer go to sleep. If the monitors go to sleep everything comes back fine. If I turn off the monitors when I turn them back on things are usually all on the primary monitor.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I have the same issue, and I feel like I've tried display port on both and hdmi on the secondary and it didn't make an issue.

To be clear for mine, I don't have my computer go to sleep. If the monitors go to sleep everything comes back fine. If I turn off the monitors when I turn them back on things are usually all on the primary monitor.

I've got it back to HDMI > HDMI so we'll see. Guessing it'll work just fine now. Was just mildly annoying and don't remember it being an issue previously. Think it started when switching computer desks and my 3rd monitor died and went to DP > HDMI for this one.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
My understanding is that is intentional windows behavior. My primary display is on the left, while my older monitor on the right is where I want stuff to be as the primary for gaming. I drag taskbar on to the right monitor because it's pointless to have it on the left when it's behind a game. When the monitors go to sleep, the taskbar is reset to the left display.

My left monitor is on displayport and the right is DVI. THis would be fixed if I set my right monitor as the primary, but then some older games would only run on that monitor.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Wow I thought this was just a me problem with the display port stuff... let me know if you figure out how to fix it. I turn off my monitors at night, and all of the windows revert to the primary display.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I have some occasional crashes. Since I can reboot in like 5 seconds I don't particularly care and have been ignoring it.

But its really killing the vibe for my Doom time. What is a way to reliably investigate this?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
To clarify what I mean by crashing.

It will occasionally just seize up, other times it will give me a dull green colored screen and the sound will spit out some static. A single monotone sound.

Other times it will hit the Win 10 Blue screen blah blah we are sending data to Microsoft.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I'd start by making sure nothing is overheating and focus in on what you are doing when it is happens.

Argarth

On the verandah

It will occasionally just seize up, other times it will give me a dull green colored screen and the sound will spit out some static. A single monotone sound.

Other times it will hit the Win 10 Blue screen blah blah we are sending data to Microsoft.

Had a similar experience about a year ago, got the dull screen occasionally (but not green), and in particular the "monotone sound".

Drove me fucking nuts with the randomness, and I tried everything for weeks (drivers, disconnect hardware, load old images etc. etc.) until the power supply finally went "pop" and died.

Not saying that's your issue of course, but thought it was worth a mention. Good luck!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider

Diffnetly either something overheating(could also be a RAM module not seated properly/or something is on the connectors blocking certain channels, check everything!), power supply not providing enough to the 12v rail, power supply dieing or the power rectifier on the motherboard is dieing(Do you have lots of power outages were you live? that can cause that.)