Computer Issues

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Diffnetly either something overheating(could also be a RAM module not seated properly check everything!), power supply not providing enough to the 12v rail would also be a reason for this, or power supply dieing or the power rectifier on the motherboard is dieing(Do you have lots of power outages were you live, this could cause that.)

Hmmm no power outages. But the Power Supply was the one thing I did not upgrade when I upgraded everything else. This was because the wattage on the PSU was quite a bit over the requirements for everything I bought in the documentation. I'll consider picking up a better one though.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Also there is 1 more probably action, you could have a DoA board it's rare that it happens but it does still happen, they can't test every board they make all the time they will usually take 1-2boards per batch and fully test them, but for any others they usually just check to see if the board "posts" and call it good.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
so my PC just screamed at me 0byte left on C drive.
Lovely nvidia. Just lovely.

1585161185307.png

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
My primary monitor is an ASUS ROG PG279 and secondary is a ASUS VH242H. Whenever the computer goes to sleep over night and I wake it up, it is like the 2nd monitor loses connection. So when the computer turns back on it detects the 2nd display but everything that was organized on it has shifted to the primary display, so I've gotta drag everything back over.

Primary is Display Port > Display Port, Secondary is HDMI > Display Port.... wondering if the issue is with HDMI > DP, because I just disconnect the cable and can't even get the damn thing to come back up now.

Lemme see if I can scrounge up one of the random HDMI cables laying around the house.
I have the same issue, and I feel like I've tried display port on both and hdmi on the secondary and it didn't make an issue.

To be clear for mine, I don't have my computer go to sleep. If the monitors go to sleep everything comes back fine. If I turn off the monitors when I turn them back on things are usually all on the primary monitor.
I've got it back to HDMI > HDMI so we'll see. Guessing it'll work just fine now. Was just mildly annoying and don't remember it being an issue previously. Think it started when switching computer desks and my 3rd monitor died and went to DP > HDMI for this one.

Wow I thought this was just a me problem with the display port stuff... let me know if you figure out how to fix it. I turn off my monitors at night, and all of the windows revert to the primary display.

I've had a similar problem for the last year, where every time I turn off my 1440p monitor, all the windows reduce to 1080p (or lower it seems) area. It is crazy fucking annoying, but whatever I guess. However, just this week at work we had a guy working from home, and one of his monitors (the displayport one) wouldn't work via remote unless it was actually turned on. Since we just use Anydesk, that means everyone can see what he's doing. Not that he was doing anything he shouldn't be, but obviously it shouldn't work that way.

Has anyone figured this out? I can't remember if mine at home (GTX2080) has 2 HDMI or if I'd have to use DP for one, but his cheapo work computer only has 1 HDMI and 1 DP, so he HAS to use those. I've Googled it in the past and didn't come up with anything, but it seems like it is going to be a much bigger issue now with people working from home. Having it disappear completely just by turning it off is insane and can't be expected behavior.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I've had a similar problem for the last year, where every time I turn off my 1440p monitor, all the windows reduce to 1080p (or lower it seems) area. It is crazy fucking annoying, but whatever I guess. However, just this week at work we had a guy working from home, and one of his monitors (the displayport one) wouldn't work via remote unless it was actually turned on. Since we just use Anydesk, that means everyone can see what he's doing. Not that he was doing anything he shouldn't be, but obviously it shouldn't work that way.

Has anyone figured this out? I can't remember if mine at home (GTX2080) has 2 HDMI or if I'd have to use DP for one, but his cheapo work computer only has 1 HDMI and 1 DP, so he HAS to use those. I've Googled it in the past and didn't come up with anything, but it seems like it is going to be a much bigger issue now with people working from home. Having it disappear completely just by turning it off is insane and can't be expected behavior.

Nope, no change to my issue. Still happens regardless of connection type.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
Waking up in the morning and seeing that one of the hdd lights on nas is red. Apparently one of the hd's (with kpop) has developed Current Pending Sector Count Warning. It's currently at 16. It's pissing me off because I gotta move so many files.

migrating this from the jimmies thread since for once I might actually contribute something

I might have found a solution in UFS Explorer. Getting files back right now.
Tried so many recovery programs. Let me tell you, 99% of them are shit.
If this works out, and people are interested, I'll list some of them (the ones I can remember) and how they failed.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
migrating this from the jimmies thread since for once I might actually contribute something

I might have found a solution in UFS Explorer. Getting files back right now.
Tried so many recovery programs. Let me tell you, 99% of them are shit.
If this works out, and people are interested, I'll list some of them (the ones I can remember) and how they failed.
Have you thought about using youtube?

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
Kpop. Or are you collecting them like pr0n?

oh that. Alas, it's youtube. I don't think there is a scene in server from for kpop. I wish there was

in other news, almost 3TB recovered in about 11 hours and still going strong. I am very pleased

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I just bought two of the exact same laptops. I have installed the same software on both, we will call them 001 and 002

For some reason whenever I run a game on 002 the Camera turns on. This only appears to only be happening when a game is running. This does not happen on 001.

I have looked in all the Windows 10 Privacy Settings, as well as the Discord Setting and the Epic Games settings. They are the exact same on both 001 & 002.

And yes, I checked the GeForce thing too, it is not that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Short term I went ahead and put tape over the Camera, but I need this fixed because the kids have virtual meetings for school starting tomorrow.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I just bought two of the exact same laptops. I have installed the same software on both, we will call them 001 and 002

For some reason whenever I run a game on 002 the Camera turns on. This only appears to only be happening when a game is running. This does not happen on 001.

I have looked in all the Windows 10 Privacy Settings, as well as the Discord Setting and the Epic Games settings. They are the exact same on both 001 & 002.

And yes, I checked the GeForce thing too, it is not that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Short term I went ahead and put tape over the Camera, but I need this fixed because the kids have virtual meetings for school starting tomorrow.
A shitty response: rebuild 002 from Windows up?

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I actually just fixed it. It was an audio software integrated into this laptop. For some reason 002 had an older version than 001. Updated it restarted it, Iainched a game and the camera stayed off.

Feels good man.

Last edited:

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Call me paranoid but all my laptops have a piece of black tape covering the camera. Mostly a habit I got into when I used work laptops all the time.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I've got a mac, so I have a piece of metal that sticks to the magnetic clasps that covers it. When I need to use it, I slide it over and then immediately slide it back.
Always
Be
Covering

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So maybe completely unrelated but I did a windows update and then restarted my computer, to see if maybe that could get the Ubiquiti software to detect the new AP I just plugged into my network. Computer comes back just fine, except now my second monitor isn't working. Windows won't detect it. It will flash and say HDMI unplugged or no signal, something like that when I unplug it from my video card, and it does the same when I plug it back in, so it seems to sense the connection to my video card, but windows won't see it.

Unplugged, plugged things back in. Restarted again, tried to get nVidia to force detect it, but nothing. Any tips guys?

Edit: So I didn't think of it, for some dumb reason, but Windows updates fucked it up, and I had to update my drivers. Problem solved.

Edit: So apparently I spoke too soon. I was applying the patch when I had made the edit thinking for sure that would be it. I mean my driver was from October 2019, but nope. Didn't give me my 2nd display back. Did a fresh clean install.

Edit: So it was a loose HDMI cable on the monitor. I hadn't touched the monitor, and it wasn't even bumped during this update process, so I'm not sure exactly what the hell happened, but whatever. It's always the simple shit. Why I would try literally everything else, and updating drivers and shit, when it was something so easy... need to go back to troubleshooting school clearly.

Last edited:

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
I've been having a weird issue with my work laptop/tablet (Surface 4) that I use in the field but also use at my desk via a docking station. When docked, the mouse/keyboard USB combination seems to act funky at times, strictly with the keyboard in that it will have delays in typing. Anywhere from short delays of only a second, to one time I think i saw a delay of a minute. Of course it retains a tiny buffer but usually the result is never reasonable so I have to wait/type what I intended when it's done with the lag.

The strange part to me is while the mouse/keyboard share the same receiver, only the keyboard lags. During a lag spike for it, the mouse is still 100% functional. If the keyboard can't copy/paste, the mouse will still let me right click-copy and paste.

I've tried drivers, changing batteries, changing USB ports on the docking station, or pairing the devices again. I don't feel I have a lot of resources being used and I don't install any 3rd party apps.

Currently I'm trying the USB receiver directly into the surface pro itself to see if that's any better as I'm wondering if it's a signal issue with the connector or an overloaded channel since the dock connection is the same connector that also is for charging, ethernet, etc. But still weird that the mouse functions fine.

• 1Imbecile
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
What keyboard is it? I had a problem with a keyboard a long time ago (wired) that did the same thing you're saying. It turned out that the manufacturer gave it a really small buffer and it was constantly getting filled and overflowing and crashing. It would recover really slow and lag like you're saying.