Computer Issues

W4RH34D_sl

shitlord
I occasionally get an issue where the hdmi sound output shows "not plugged in" in windows sound manager. I don't want to reboot, that shits gay, ill get a Mac if that's the answer for windows.

So far, I can reinstall the driver in windows and that'll kick the stupid fuck back in to working. Something a little less drastic would be nice. Any ideas? Can I do some command prompt stuff to restart a particular service?

In OSX if something is being a cunt, you can terminal command that service to restart etc, looking for something similar on windows. Most of the time I try a gui I get an access denied even as admin.
It was the GeForce experience service after I looked through the crash dump. GD Nvidia.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Well to be fair, they didn't specify that it would be agoodexperience...
smile.png

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Well, I re-flashed another BIOS and so far so good. It reboots just fine now, and I haven't had any crashes. So here is to hoping it is all fixed.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help!
I am so frustrated. So the reboot issue is still fine, but I had another crash last night. I was playing WoW while installing Vent at the same time when it crashed. Had to fully power it down, turn off the PSU, then pull the reset jumper before it would recognize the SSD again. I am guessing it is the motherboard, since the SSD works fine after I reset everything. All my programs and everything I have installed on there is still working just fine.

Guess I will contact Intel and most likely send the motherboard back.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I feel like I am talking to myself now, but I figure I should update you guys with what I found! Turns out the 525 mSATA SSD's are running hotter than expected. So once they hit around 70c it crashes the computer, and only cycling off the PSU will get the SSD to show up again. I have tried to move the fans around in my computer, but running the Intel Toolbox diagnostic still gets the SSD up to the critical temp levels.

So at this point I am waiting to hear back from Intel on what to do next. Either they will replace it if they have some fix, or maybe I send it back and get the 520 series.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Tape that SSD to a fan that's pulling in air from outside your case. Seriously, SSDs don't move at all, they don't need to be secured overly tight(screwed down), both of the SSDs in my system are just laying loose on the floor of the case, with no issues, they've been like that for almost a year now. They are sitting on a thin layer of styrofoam though, just to prevent unwanted static discharge with the metal case. That shouldn't be a problem with a fan though, they're all plastic. Plastic fan, plastic SSD, just add duct tape
smile.png
Totally ghetto, but I bet it works like a champ.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
No real way to do that with this particular SSD though, as it is physically plugged into the motherboard. Not by a cable or anything, it slides into a PCI slot. Trying to figure out a way to get a fan pointed right at it, but it is right under the Vid card, so there isn't much room at all.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
I think I am going to try and buy a fan like thishttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835426039and zip tie it to the SSD. Best I can come up with.
Get some non-conducting Thermal Paste. Like Arctic MX-2, and also buy some VRAM heatsinks pictured below. There are wicked small, so the paste alone should keep them attached. That might cut it, if not you may need to direct some airflow towards them.

I chopped up a full-size heatsink from a crap videocard with my dremel to make the same mini-heatsinks. I used them to cool my raspberry pi's SoC and USB chip.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
You should probably figure out why you have so much disk activity that the thing is getting that hot in the first place.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Well that is a good question. For instance when I am playing WoW, it can get pretty hot, somewhere in the 60-64c range. The crazy part about that is WoW is installed on a different drive, so I don't know what activity is going on there. Is it possible the heat from the video card, which is directly above it, is affecting it?

However. when I use the Intel Toolbox to run a diagnostic on it, it most certainly heats up. If I let it run all the way through it will crash every time.

I did check over on their forums, and there are a ton of complaints about the 525 series running hot.

W4RH34D_sl

shitlord
Well that is a good question. For instance when I am playing WoW, it can get pretty hot, somewhere in the 60-64c range. The crazy part about that is WoW is installed on a different drive, so I don't know what activity is going on there. Is it possible the heat from the video card, which is directly above it, is affecting it?

However. when I use the Intel Toolbox to run a diagnostic on it, it most certainly heats up. If I let it run all the way through it will crash every time.

I did check over on their forums, and there are a ton of complaints about the 525 series running hot.
Is your case a drawer in a dresser or something? Whats your airflow like?

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Nope, its just a mini tower under my desk. When I am just doing normal work on it, the SSD hovers around 40c or so.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Apparently the version of Windows Activator that I downloaded fromwww.malwareRus.comdecided to destroy my MBR or some shit. Convenient the evening right before FFXIV starts. Couldn't figure out the MBRTool app so this time I'm using the legit copy of Windows 7 sitting on on my bookcase. Was funny that it happened about 3 minutes after responding to Spronk in the thread about how it only takes 10 minutes to install Win7 on an SSD.

W4RH34D_sl

shitlord
Apparently the version of Windows Activator that I downloaded fromwww.malwareRus.comdecided to destroy my MBR or some shit. Convenient the evening right before FFXIV starts. Couldn't figure out the MBRTool app so this time I'm using the legit copy of Windows 7 sitting on on my bookcase. Was funny that it happened about 3 minutes after responding to Spronk in the thread about how it only takes 10 minutes to install Win7 on an SSD.
put in your os disk, go to the recovery stuff and rebuild the mbr. takes like 10 minutes.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Open System Recovery from F8 and get to command prompt. This may require your OS Disc

bootrec
/fixmbr
/fixboot

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

I understand it running hot if you're doing a lot of disk access. But you shouldn't be. If it's accessing it that much during normal computer usage, rather than during benchmarking or diagnostics, there's something wrong.

You may need to disable certain things manually, such as drive indexing, Prefetch and Superfetch, and other things

http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/s...#post_15523325

Check out this post, where it says: System Setup after Installation:

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I understand it running hot if you're doing a lot of disk access. But you shouldn't be. If it's accessing it that much during normal computer usage, rather than during benchmarking or diagnostics, there's something wrong.

You may need to disable certain things manually, such as drive indexing, Prefetch and Superfetch, and other things

http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/s...#post_15523325

Check out this post, where it says: System Setup after Installation:
Thanks for the info, I will go check that out. Like I said, during normal computing it is fine. I have really only run into problems while gaming